displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: starting issue SOLVED
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Bonjour all - been sometime since I've had to ask for advice on here since I'm getting wise to a majority of issues on the 6.

Anyway I haven't got a clue what is causing the issue so I had to choose the general section to post this.

For some time now the engine just won't start sometimes and seems to be getting worse these days. Doesn't matter if its hot or cold, somedays it won't play up all day, the next day it will be a complete b*tch.

When it starts to turn over and doesn't fire up it doesn't matter how long I turn the engine over it just won't fire. Typically I've been removing the key from the ignition and trying again and most of the time it will fire on the second or third attempt. This morning I was wondering if it would start at all but did on the 8th try. Sometimes when it turns over and doesn't fire - I stop turning it over and I get a POP in the exhaust.

Other than this it runs perfectly when it fires and starts running. I'm wondering if this might be an electrical issue concerning the ignition barrel and/or imobilisor transporter reader? Or maybe the icv getting worn out and slow to react but I don't just wanna start throwing money at hunches. will a diagnostic help?

Any advice or thoughts will be appreciated, thanks Chris.

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti�

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 9th Jan 2014 at 22:04
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Cleaned your spark plugs? Mine had the exact same issue, baked them in the oven for 10 mins and popped them back in, started fine. The fact it's popping to me implies it's getting both fuel and spark, albeit not enough spark

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 15:38
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
cwspellowe wrote:
Cleaned your spark plugs? Mine had the exact same issue, baked them in the oven for 10 mins and popped them back in, started fine. The fact it's popping to me implies it's getting both fuel and spark, albeit not enough spark

That's my thoughts to - but I'm running Denso iridium ik20 spark plugs which are well within their life span. Had a few sets of these now and this problem hasn't coincided with using them.

Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 16:05
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #4
faulty earth/crank sensor/MAP sensor?
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 16:13
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Spark plugs Yes

Mine started doing this although not as bad, changed plugs and all was well Wink

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Also an Ex owner of a Bianca 6 Sad

Now an ex owner of a 2005 9-3 2.0T 210bhp Aero Swedish Saloon thing!! Soon to be 250bhp.... Superman

Now driving Mk5 Golf GTTdi, mile muncher

But still live for the 306 Ninja
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 16:15
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
roland rat wrote:
faulty earth/crank sensor/MAP sensor?

I've checked the earth on the gearbox and its clean and tight, crank sensor and map sensor have been replaced for new a few years ago for new.

Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 16:17
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
will130787 wrote:
Spark plugs Yes

Mine started doing this although not as bad, changed plugs and all was well Wink

I suppose it would be pretty cheap to change them to eliminate them from this inquiry.

What's your thoughts on the Denso plugs then because I've found them to be pretty Damn good over the years. Always seemed to run healthier using them and last for ages too!

Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 16:20
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
darkgti6 wrote:
will130787 wrote:
Spark plugs Yes

I suppose it would be pretty cheap to change them to eliminate them from this inquiry.

What's your thoughts on the Denso plugs then because I've found them to be pretty Damn good over the years. Always seemed to run healthier using them and last for ages too!

I always use Bosch plugs bud so I cannot comment, get down halfrauds, £20 for a set. Cheap thing to eliminate, if this didnt work I would be looking at coil packs......

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Also an Ex owner of a Bianca 6 Sad

Now an ex owner of a 2005 9-3 2.0T 210bhp Aero Swedish Saloon thing!! Soon to be 250bhp.... Superman

Now driving Mk5 Golf GTTdi, mile muncher

But still live for the 306 Ninja
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 16:24
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I just use OEM plugs, never had any trouble. I once tried using different plugs and that's when these symptoms started only 6 months after a full service

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 17:07
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Ok ive changed out the quentin hazel fuel pump for a second hand oem item and it seems to have stopped the backfire if i crank it over and it doesnt fire. Ive changed the spark plugs and this hasnt made an difference at all.

Tonight i installed reconditioned injectors and a new fuel pressure regulator and still the problem persists.

This is driving me crazy nowSad i wanna pump a bit of money into the car to make it fresh again, the steering rack needs doing but im not inclined to do anything until this starting issue is fixed.

The symptoms now are if i crank it over and it doesnt fire and i continue to crank it - it wont fire up but shows signs of firing every 2 - 3 seconds but will never fire. The only way it will start is to stop cranking it over and give it another try, sometimes it will go and sometimes it will take a few more attempts.

Please - anyone any suggestions?Dunno

Posted 16th Mar 2012 at 19:44
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Thread revival.

This is solved. Turns out it was the cam sensor, or cam reference sensor according to Peugeot Planet 2000 software.

Only used on start up to determine where the cam is so the ECU knows when to fire the spark plugs. Replaced and not had a problem starting since.

Cheers to Niall for doing this. Very much appreciated.

Posted 9th Jan 2014 at 22:04
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Admin. Can we move this to engines please?

Posted 9th Jan 2014 at 22:06
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Glad to hear you have it resolved mate.
Posted 9th Jan 2014 at 22:11