displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: will it work??

Junior User

Post #1
hi, ive recently had idling problems and stalling, ive tried everything suggested and theres only so much i know about engines so i booked it in next week for the garage to put in on a diagnostics, the mechanic said it will bring up fault codes if any and they will be able to see graphs and monitor the engine or something while its running, Huh?

are these diagnostics any good and whats the chance they will be able to pick up on whats wrong with the engine? it a decent price £37 from a garage with a very good rep in this sort of thing.

any help is appreciated
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 15:13
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #2
For £37 that seems a fair price for a diagnostics test
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 15:16
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Yes that's a good price.

What phase is it? If it's a P1 you won't get much info out of it, you'll get fuelling and ignition timing as well as common fault codes but due to the port to the ECU being quite old it's not the fastest connection so data is limited.

If it's a P2 or P3 should show a lot more info.

And if it's not idling properly and stalling it's almost definitely the ICV at fault. If it's any of the sensors it will show a fault code if it's not behaving normally, if no fault codes are thrown up it'll be something daft like a leaky injector or an air leak Thumbs up

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 16:11

Junior User

Post #4
its the 1997 phase 2, i have had a brand new idle valve after buying a scrap one and a aftermarket i bought a genuine and still no fix, ive changed the map,tps,iacv,lambda,sparkplugs and set them, new distrubutor leads,fuel filter air filter,basicaly a full service with the extras.

could they pick up on a vacum leak, maybe a broken valve or intake manifold leak?

and its just like the engine starts choking for a couple of seconds and you can hear it and see it in the rpm while idling and does that evry couple of minutes
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 16:30
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #5
cwspellowe wrote:
If it's a P1 you won't get much info out of it

How do you mean?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 16:58
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Wait for the results from the garage if nothing shows up then that opens up a hole range of things it could be. You could try a new mani gasket and tb gasket as they could have been taken off in the past then not replaced, but if its not constant then i cant see it being an air leak.. Correct me if im wrong there, are you sure its not the hg on its way out?

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 02:19

Junior User

Post #7
ive been thinking head gasket but put that thought to one side but starting to thing that again, loosing compression maybe, or a knackered valve sticking or broken. i might ask them could they do a compression test while its in the garage.
would you know how much roughly a compression test costs and how long it will take, i dun mind doing hg if its gone cause my freind is a mechanic and will do it really cheap and i havent got a alluminium head so with any luck the head wouldnt be warped.

but i have sh*t loads of luck and all of it bad LOL

thanks for replys
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 04:18
Scrompy

Aka Quagmire83

Post #8
If you have changed all that then it will most likely be an air leak somewhere which I doubt a diagnostic would pick up.

X-Box Live gamertag: Scrompy

PS3 tag: Scrompy

Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 13:26

Junior User

Post #9
i only know a few vacum lines, where would be the best place to start tracing the vacum pipes?
Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 03:02

Junior User

Post #10
ive got a link below of my rpm gauge while im driving then coming to a stop youl be able to see when the needle just drop then bounces before settling back again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DAAYCxD_s8
Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 03:15
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #11
cosmic spanner wrote:
cwspellowe wrote:
If it's a P1 you won't get much info out of it

How do you mean?

What???? LOL

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 03:18

Junior User

Post #12
im not a good writerLOL
ive got a vid of reves dropping then the needle bouncing before the revs go back to normal on link the below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DAAYCxD_s8
Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 03:29
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #13
Clicky

Stepper motor? Thumbs up

Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 03:37

Junior User

Post #14
put a brand new one of those n lastweek, as a last resort im guna go for a coil pack and ecu if everything else fails as the sagem coil packs apparently spike the ecu by going high voltage, there was a recall years ago for the sagem pack but mine still has that coil pack
Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 04:23
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #15
Well good luck mate, many would have given up ages ago. That engine will be nearly brand new at this rate LOL

Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 04:29

Junior User

Post #16
LOL most of the parts i got of a scapyard so havent spent much yet, keeping the money i got for the problem when i find it

thank for all the help. Smile
Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 05:04
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Has the power steering sensor been mentioned yet? Might be worth disconnecting it to see Smile

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 15:05
Scrompy

Aka Quagmire83

Post #18
SteviePut wrote:
Has the power steering sensor been mentioned yet? Might be worth disconnecting it to see Smile

+1

X-Box Live gamertag: Scrompy

PS3 tag: Scrompy

Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 17:25

Junior User

Post #19
never thought of that, how would i find the power steering sensor? would it be on the pump, fluid resivour, or on a pipe? what should happen if i unplug it?

tanks
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 01:57
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
1.6306 wrote:
never thought of that, how would i find the power steering sensor? would it be on the pump, fluid resivour, or on a pipe? what should happen if i unplug it?

tanks

Look down between the slam panel and rad. It's a sensor down there roughly central. It's a bit of a twat to get your hands on mind.

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 16th Mar 2011 at 22:27

Junior User

Post #21
i also forgot to mention that it does the stalling on cold days but on warm days like yesterday it doesnt go to stall, thanks for replys
Posted 17th Mar 2011 at 00:51

Junior User

Post #22
hi, had the diagnostics done today, the lambda sensor if not regulating properly so the fuel mixture is running lean and the coolant temperature sensor giving out the wrong values, thanks for all the help, just changed the lambda and its idling better already and havent gone to stall still surging very lightly but that got to be the vacuum leak which i can hear

pic below of my old lambda, the tip is going back,

for anyone having these problems have live data read on diagnostics it saves hell of alot of cash from replacing evry part

1.6306 has attached the following image:

Posted 18th Mar 2011 at 21:58