displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: switch help asap
lance xsi

Junior User

Post #1
does anyone know if i can wire a switch straight to my battery? i have tried it to power my heater blower motor but when the switch was off it sparked and when it was onthe motor got power,

Posted 6th Mar 2011 at 20:30
lance xsi

Junior User

Post #2
any help asap as my car is in pieces cheers guys
Posted 6th Mar 2011 at 21:50
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
What exactly are you trying to do? Wiring a switch directly to the battery isn't great without a fuse in the line. By chance is your car ac? If so, your blower will be trying to start the second you connect the termina so it's not surprising it'll spark.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 6th Mar 2011 at 21:53
mwl001

Regular

Post #4
tvrfan007 wrote:
Wiring a switch directly to the battery isn't great without a fuse in the line.

+1
Posted 7th Mar 2011 at 03:28
lance xsi

Junior User

Post #5
well basically someone wired an extra switch for the blower motor im assuming bec the proper switch is broken??? Unsure i know its easier to get a new switch but i cant afford it atm so i wired the motor straight to my battery with a switch between them, now when the switch i put in is on the motor workes fine but as soon as i turn it off the battery and switche start to smoke and spark, so what can i do so that it just turns on and off from my switch without the sparks and smoke?

cheers for yor help guys Big grin
Posted 7th Mar 2011 at 04:18
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
lance xsi wrote:
what can i do so that it just turns on and off from my switch without the sparks and smoke?

Honestly? Just get a new centre console control box, you can probably get one for a tenner from someone on here breaking a car. Just make sure if you have air con that the new one's from an air-con'd car etc.

Trying anything else on the cheap is going to result in a serious fire unless you know exactly what you're doing, and it's just not worth the risk No

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 7th Mar 2011 at 12:46