displaying posts 51 to 59 of 59

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]

Author Subject: Rear suspension noises
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
make no difference what it is to me really a new beam has always been part of the grand plan as its getting new suspension all round. the pain is I need to do it all at the same time so I don't have to fuss about paying for two sets of springs and lowering. which basically means I need about.... 1200? given that I want Bilsteins.

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 19:05
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
make no difference what it is to me really a new beam has always been part of the grand plan as its getting new suspension all round. the pain is I need to do it all at the same time so I don't have to fuss about paying for two sets of springs and lowering. which basically means I need about.... 1200? given that I want Bilsteins.

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 19:07
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
Il have the 1" arb switched over from my old beam and the freshly fitted bilstein b6s also. Id like to do the front but il see how it handles monday and see wha route to go. Mine might (hopefully) be good enough for what i want it to do already. What bilstein set you doing? just do it in sections and break the cost up a bit. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 19:15
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
Cool... Got my car all done. Got the beam on, new b6's and 1" arb and standard mounts and it feels great. I haven't really buried it into a bend as it does feel a little different and i want to get used to it first. But thanks to jord for sorting me out a referbed beam and the technical information over the phone too. Top job and worth the 512mile round trip to collect it.. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 08:37
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
I'm ordering new beam mounts from Peugeot (wallet preparing to bleed copiously) but I found this:

http://forums.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-forums.showdiscussion/thread_id-20960/29fbfd6e.html

on a search about rear suspension noises and it mentions the rear shock mounting bushes top and bottom as a source of the noise which says...

"the shock absorber has an eye each end, in this eye is a bush, and rubber sticks out each side, this goes into a slot subframe above and trailing arm at the bottom and a bolt through the middle. The bushes i'm asking you to check are the ones inside the eyes top and bottom of each shock absorber."

Can anyone comment from experience that these cause clonking noises similar to the sound of the exhaust hitting the boot floor?? I'd hate to replace the rear beam bushes at vast expense and then drive it down the road with the noise still there.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 15th Oct 2011 at 15:10
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #56

possible, BUT have only experienced slightly worn bushes when the actual bolts had been overtighted

the proper way of fitting shocks is to fit them loosely, and allow the weight of the car to rest. then tighten the bolts to the correct torque

the same applies on front wishbones

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 15th Oct 2011 at 16:30
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
Cool thanks.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 17th Oct 2011 at 19:00
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
Epic thread bump, but the problem described above was totally solved by fitting new OE rear beam mounts.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 12th Jun 2012 at 17:39
woody.

Senior User

Post #59
Have just been reading through this. Glad you got it sorted mate Smile
Posted 12th Jun 2012 at 20:58

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]