displaying posts 1 to 21 of 21

Author Subject: Head Gasket & skim with valves in?
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #1
so I have searched and I'm sure what's wrong i just want to double check a couple of the symptoms i'm experiencing in case there is anything else i need to be thinking about before i consider attempting the work.

So the bleed cap blew off my radiator and blew coolant out all over the M4, being honest the temp didnt go into the red whilst i was driving for at least another 20 miles so i just hoped i'd make it home and had a go, needless to say it hit the red eventually and i stopped straight away popped the hood then did something stupid and pored cold water in which made a mountain of steam!! stopped quickly as i instantly remembered what happens to rapidly cooled metal. anyway AA sorted me out, to home at least.

It has been a couple of weeks since then getting a part and around to jump starting it and filing with some plain water.

So it starts straight off no probs getting a little white smoke from the exhaust to be expected after its down time and after 5 mins the temp hadn't really risen so i held it at 4K for a bit to try and get some warm air through the heaters. Nothing, i let the revs drop back down then the temp soared, cut it off just as it hit the red, went around to the engine bay everything was cold except for the block and head but when i opened the rad cap it fired a fountain of semi warm water out at me, such pressure!! and the start of baileys cream development under the oil filler cap Sad

So i think i know that this is a head gasket failure, and roughly what i have to do with regards to that, just wondering if there are side issues with my cooling system?

And if anyone can offer any advice before i start working on an engine for my first time :s got to start somewhere right??

I know will need to get a pug gasket, head skimmed etc i had a cambelt kit done only last year, should i be replacing this too or would it be ok to keep?

Thanks for reading, this probably regurgitated thread.

This site is my mechanical bible, Thank-you everyone!!
Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 17:15
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
When you filled the water back up did you bleed it all through properly?

It sounds like it could possibly be airlock or you are probably correct with head gasket unfortunatly. The cream on the oil cap doesnt sound good, was there much of this?

I would recommend you get a compression test done and possibly a sniff test done on the water unless the compression test shows up an obvious problem, at least then you will know for sure.

Good luck

Ryan
Posted 6th Mar 2011 at 03:37
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #3
I only used the top nearside bleed cap and a header tank made from a milk 4 pinter.

Looks like the oil contaminating started today, was looking at a £30 compression testing kit would be handy to have if its a good one at that price

Posted 6th Mar 2011 at 03:50
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #4
Ok been doing more research into everything thats entailed with this and have found a company who will be able skim and pressure test my head for £100-ish pounds.

A question they asked me was, 'are the valves recessed into the head enough to allow for a skim without removing them?'

i wont know till I've got the head off but hoped someone who did know might shed some light for me Smile

Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 17:14
martinj

Regular

Post #5
I had the head on my rally car 306 skimmed with the valves all left in place, there is just enough to allow for a skim but not much.

Martin

- Maxi rear axle hub spacers +53mm per side
- Maxi front steering rack extensions +40mm per side
Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 17:52
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #6
OK cheers, guess if there is minimal space it might be a problem if its been skimmed before by another owner if not should at least keep some costs down.

Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 18:00
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Hat the head skimmed on mine the other week, valves left in place, just popped the cams out

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 18:02
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #8
sweet this is all looking good Smile except for the fact i'm dismantling my first engine :S

Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 18:16
al4x

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
erm you can get mayo under the oil cap in this weather from short journeys. Best option is water bottle lid off top it up then leaving the lid off start it up at idle and keep topping it up. Undo each bleedscrew in turn and bleed all the air. Its too soon to just take the head off unless you have already compression tested it
Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 18:58
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #10
OK will try bleeding it again this afternoon, properly this time using all the bleed screws.

Only thing i ask is when i started it up last time without the cap on it just fired water out and at a good rate as well could this be caused by a massive air block?

its the above symptom that lead me to believe a failed head gasket would be causing this much pressure in the cooling system.

Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 19:34
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
They do have a habbit of getting bad airlocks in the thermostat housing if not filled and bled correctly, it sounds like you do have more pressure than you would blame on an airlock but you never know.

As I said in my first reply I wouldnt be at all surprised if it is the head gasket but you really should eliminate other things first.

I wouldnt take the head of before having a compression test done, it's to much work and money to find that it isnt the problem. Any garage should be able to do a test for you and you will then know for sure.

Ryan
Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 19:45
martinj

Regular

Post #12
Another little thing that can help when filling is to have the car facing up hill as much as is feasible. When you have filled the system and have the cap back on, engine running, try squeezing the top hose between your fingers, if it is rock hard the system will be pressurising from the compression cycle - a sniff test will be the definitive test but you probably need to find an garage to get that done as the kit is quiet expensive from memory.

Martin

Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 21:37
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #13
Cheers for all the advice guys

unfortunately its brown stuff and fan times for me at the moment. Haven't got much money or insurance so whatever does happen to my six is going to be taking place in my carport unfortunately it is facing downhill at the moment, but not too steep.

Gonna get out there in a min and give it another go, see what happens......

as for compression tests I've seen a few cheap kits anyone had any experience?

Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 21:52
martinj

Regular

Post #14
my compression tester came from screwfix, a Laser tools one for £17.

Martin

Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 23:44
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #15
Sweet will pick one up soon then!

just an update, might of been a massive airlock in the system. Only using fresh water as i didn't want to waste coolant while problem solving, but i managed to get nearly a whole bucket of water in it. Thing is i was impatient waiting for the thermostat to stop bubbling and start flowing so i undid the screw a little more by hand and in the process burnt myself and the screw has F**ked off somewhere now Sad

looked like an M4/5 with matching copper washer before i threw it away anyone know for sure which it is?

Posted 9th Mar 2011 at 01:13
mwl001

Regular

Post #16
Best to get a proper bleed screw (has a hole in it to let air out when partially undone). Relatively cheap from a pug dealers.
Posted 10th Mar 2011 at 03:51
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #17
yeah picking one up today hopefully get this sorted over the weekend and confirm its not the HG

Posted 10th Mar 2011 at 14:46
pugjim

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
I would always take the cams/valves out take the head for a skim then build it back up with new valve stems seals, came seals ect. Also £100 sounds very over priced for a just skim and pressure test. A skim should be £25-£30 and pressure test £10-£15. Suppose it depends where in the country you are. Here in sheffield engine machine shops are everywhere.
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 01:04

Junior User

Post #19
sorry to go off topic but on one of the posts about bleeding the system and burning yourself, i blled my cooling system and by the time i get to the matrix pipe the waters scoulding and burn my hands trying to screw it back in, is there a way around the burning?

and ps, my oil filler cap does the going creamy thing untill the engine gets warm, when i first noticed it i also worried alot untill i had a compression test and the engine was fine, the mechanic said this is normal in the temperature we have in autum, winter and early spring,
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 08:17
pugjim

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
1.6306 wrote:
sorry to go off topic but on one of the posts about bleeding the system and burning yourself, i blled my cooling system and by the time i get to the matrix pipe the waters scoulding and burn my hands trying to screw it back in, is there a way around the burning?

and ps, my oil filler cap does the going creamy thing untill the engine gets warm, when i first noticed it i also worried alot untill i had a compression test and the engine was fine, the mechanic said this is normal in the temperature we have in autum, winter and early spring,

Put some rubber gloves on Wink
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 12:35
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #21
pugjim: i hear what your saying and hopefully i'd be able to give this a go, i've never taken the head off an engine before but i cant afford to take it to a garage so best just give it a go.

Oh and rubber gloves did work on the burning front! although after many attempts to fully bleed the system i now know its defiantly the HG Sad

For others future reference the system was fully bled with the header tank still on everything was working fine and as it should so i felt really hopeful.

Took the header tank off replaced the filler cap and went to sit in the car to watch the gauge. No sooner had i sat down white smoke/steam started to poor out of the exhaust so i turned it off.

Back off with the filler cap loads of pressure again fired out steam and boiling water so i didn't avoid the burning after all ha ha ha

So in summery i must have a small HG failure which when the coolant system isnt closed and pressure can release it doesn't show, as soon as the coolant system was closed water must have been forced into one of the cylinders Sad fingers crossed I've caught this soon enough to not be a total pain in the ass and I still get a chance to mess up an engine after all :p

Posted 13th Mar 2011 at 23:54