displaying posts 51 to 53 of 53

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]

Author Subject: 206 turbo

Post #51
Mapping the car was such a huge pain in the a**, had SO many problems to overcome, that i'm kind of amazed by the result Smile

Camshafts and valve lift are for a very highly tuned N/A engine, with very high lift and overlap, and prettly low duration when the combustion chamber is closed, so the power curve is far from optimum as the cylinder is emptied far sooner than it should be with a good turbo cam. I had to make so many compensations, mostly trial and error, to make the car run at all below 4000rpm - initially the car had a very rough idle, kangarooing and overfuelling below 3000revs, jumping at every touch of the throttle...totally undriveable.

Next, we had to make the TBs work acceptably in the low range, and still give them good flow in the upper range, which was very hard to do with the inlet tract that was pretty short and such a high overlap of the cams that were not very well adapted to civilized driving.

Then, the mapping was done as the combination of Alpha-N (engine load by TPS) mapping and twin MAP sensors (engine load by 2 MAPs, one before and the other after the throttle plates), and the transition between the both had to be made gradually and was the hardest thing of all ,to keep the car accelerating smoothly, without low-speed hopping, flatspots, etc.

Finally, i didn't want a very spiky boost curve as that serves no purpose at all, except to spin the power away at lower revs - much better to build the boost gradually and help the car use the power, rather than spin it away. What's the use of extra 100BHP in the lower RPM range when the FWD car would waste it anyway?

Posted 13th May 2011 at 17:49
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
No indeed I entirely understand! It looks very driver / torquesteer friendly for a high power turbo FWD. Mine has half the power, but it is peaky enough in 2nd and 3rd gear to scare the traction control in the dry.

Is that based on the 180 engine or the 138? Just wondering about the cam overlap issue and if you'd get as much with the 138 head and cams. Then again why change it if it works?!!

There has obviously been a massive amount of time, effort and money put into this car Thumbs up

Nothing to see here
Posted 13th May 2011 at 17:52

Post #53
Based on the 138 engine, but virtually nothing is left standard. The head was totally reworked and has nothing to do with the standard anymore, and the cams are a one-off, see specs on the first page of the thread.
Posted 13th May 2011 at 18:12

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]