displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Heaters not working.
samjl

Junior User

Post #1
Hi Everyone!

My heaters and clock don't work on my GTI-6, not to fussed about the clock, but it's pretty cold outside and wouldn't mind some heaters! Hot air blows though, it's just that the motor doesn't do anything in the heaters. Tried all the fuses with and also tried banging the dash, as that usually fixes everything!

Any ideas?
Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 02:26
paul_gti6_uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I had this problem recently. Mine was the motor in the heater blower that had died. This is located underneath the glove box. Easy to get at from the passenger footwell once the panel under the glove box is removed.

Remove blower unit. Check there is voltage from the thick red wire to earth (there is a bolt into chassis of car on LH side of passenger footwell which is ideal to use). Check there is continuity between the thick black wire and earth. I also removed the motor from its casing and checked the voltage across the terminals.

If you ahve voltage then first thing is clean up all contact points, grease and then see if it spins. Next is ensure the motor is free to spin too by lubing it up. If none of this has worked and you have voltage across the terminals the last check is to wire the motor directly to the battery. If it doesnt spin its dead.

I picked up a motor from my local scrappy for £15, job done Big grin

Oh I believe there is a green relay in the fusebox that has something to do with the control of the heater blower but I'd assume that if you have voltage at the motor this is working OK anyway.

China Blue 306GTI-6 Big grin Ph3

Team Now Bikeless Sad
Posted 1st Mar 2011 at 17:15
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
id take a look at your relays first

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 1st Mar 2011 at 17:19
billyboy99

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
your heater doesnt work but hot air blows? i fort thats wat it was meant to do.

I got the same problem. if anything, hot air blows, and even when u put the heater temp on blue (ie. cold), even then hot air blows. only tested this yday. what a spaz!
Posted 1st Mar 2011 at 17:20
paul_gti6_uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I'm hoping what he means is that after a while you can feel the heat coming through the vents, like I could, but you cannot turn on the fan to blast warm air in.

China Blue 306GTI-6 Big grin Ph3

Team Now Bikeless Sad
Posted 1st Mar 2011 at 23:11
mwl001

Regular

Post #6
Clock could the bulbs behind it that have blown - you can just see the display without them lit if you look from the right angle.
Posted 1st Mar 2011 at 23:42