displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: 106 Puddle in footwell
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Got in the 106 a couple days ago after it had rained and had a wet drivers side carpet in the front and the rear.

I know the seals are shite on all Pugs and searched on here for how to sort it (watched Thugs "Milking the Seal" vid LOL) but my car doesn't have the little holes in it anyway, so no use. Seals look in good nick and untouched.

Also found on the search that it could be where shit has built up in the little scuttle panel underneath the drivers side of the windscreen and wipers. This was caked in shit so I cleaned it yesterday. However, rained again last night and it's still the same.

Where the f*ck is it coming from?!?!?! Angry

It's just the floor area on the drivers half, nowhere else and it seems it's found a little way of getting out the bottom of the car to drain itself too which is worrying Erm? hopefully it's just through a screw though or something.

I don't have any heater problems so don't think it's the matrix.

It moves from front to back depending on what angle I'm parked or driving on LOL

Suggestions?

Pugzy...aka Mike Thumbs up

Ex-Platinum silver 306 GTi6 owner...now an Ex-Scarlet Red 406 3ltr V6 Coupe owner too Sad

Now driving a China Blue 106 1.5 Diesel..."The Money-Saving and Debt-Busting Machine" LOL
Posted 22nd Feb 2011 at 15:24
james_gti6

Senior User

Post #2
i have the same problem now in my 306, defiantly not the matrix, im going to investigate this weekend.

if i dont see you in the mattress il see you in the spring
Posted 22nd Feb 2011 at 15:31
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Found this for 106's on Google which was helpful.

I've just checked the engine and grommets and all and got the hose with water, nothing seemed to be coming through after 5 mins.

Checked the aerial, sunroof and windscreen with the hosepipe for 5 mins, nothing.

Then left it on the roof, draining over the drivers side of the car the carpet seemed to be getting wet in rear footwell. Reckon there could be something up behind the seals and plastic trim. Seals again look ok and do actually have the little drain holes like the 306, except they're on the undersides of the seal so should drain out anyway. Tried "milking" them and nothing was coming out so don't seem blocked.

Do I now rip out the plastic trim and pulls the seals back or am I going to make it worse? Huh?

Ex-Platinum silver 306 GTi6 owner...now an Ex-Scarlet Red 406 3ltr V6 Coupe owner too Sad

Now driving a China Blue 106 1.5 Diesel..."The Money-Saving and Debt-Busting Machine" LOL
Posted 22nd Feb 2011 at 16:18
mjstones

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
when i got water in the passenger footwell of my old dturbo i had to make a few little holes in the rubber at the bottom of the door frame with a stanley blade. never had any more water there after that.

Never underestimate the power of De-Nile.

Friday afternoon car, built in France.... Ninja

306gti6.com Stickers available, pm me for details. or email MjStones83@hotmail.com

Sticker Thread with pics

Posted 22nd Feb 2011 at 16:20
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Where did you slice it? On the outer part on the bend of the door maybe? Or on the vertical part? Huh?

Does seem on the 106 like the holes are in the right places for drainage anyway, facing downwards, whereas the 306 face upwards Confused

May give it a go though, just don't want to make it worse.

Posted 22nd Feb 2011 at 16:25
mjstones

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
if my memory serves me correctly, it was just below the bend as it turns horizontal, and then a couple more slits along the bottom, facing outwards. all i did was make a slice with a blade, then take a slight nick out of it to widen it to allow water to drain out through the bottom of the door, outside rather than all over my carpets!

306gti6.com Stickers available, pm me for details. or email MjStones83@hotmail.com

Sticker Thread with pics

Posted 22nd Feb 2011 at 17:22
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Have just stripped the rear carpet back a bit and look at what I've found LOL...

Going to take all that shit out as it's harbouring the water and it's all mushy anyway and smelly.

Orange cable attached to the underside of the drivers seat, can I unplug that or is it likely to set an airbag off in my face?

Going to do another test after with the hosepipe and see if I can see how it's getting underneath the plastics.

Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 18:46
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Just done a bit further stripping, leaving the seat in but over the passenger seat.

Got inside, let it rain with the hosepipe over the drivers side to see what was occurring down there.

Seems that water is coming down the drivers pillar by the dash...

and then travelling down the inside of the door sill, behind the seals and down underneath either the front or rear passenger footwells, depending which way the car is facing on the hills...

How am I going to get this sorted if it seems to be coming in from behind the sill? Slitting it will probably make no difference will it?

Is it likely to be coming in through a grommet from the engine bay? Bad windscreen seal? Blocked scuttle panel? (although, I did think I had cleared that? Confused)

Dunno

Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 19:17
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Found the problems I think having done a few searches on Google too, this...

The drainage pipe on the sunroof under the headlining must be blocked, so water is collecting in the corner of the sunroof above the drivers seat and not draining away as it should (down behind the drivers arch). The headlining was pretty wet too which I hadn't noticed before but must be why it's coming down the pillar on the door and out the bottom, into the footwell.

So, am off to buy some sealant and a can of compressed air.

Going to remove the sunroof, seal her up good and proper and then blast the shit out the drainage pipe hopefully Smug

Hope this works Sad

Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 21:21
mjstones

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
yep, that's more of a problem than just a slit in a door seal would solve! the orange plugs can be undone, just disconnect the battery and wait about 15 mins before unplugging and then another 15 before plugging back in. otherwise the airbag light will blink. it's just a warning about seatbelt pre tensioners. if it does blink, disconnect the battery and leave for a bit. or just leave it and it might go away on it's own. mine did. hope the can of sealant fixes it!

Sticker Thread with pics

Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 22:21
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Blasted the pipe with the bike pump and nothing seemed to come out Confused

Tried to put some sealant on the bit you can see on the pic but it is very crumbly and soft Erm? have left it now though with a few large dollops and will leave it to air in the garage overnight. Unsure if it'll be a longtime fix if it sticks but worth a bash. Didn't take the sunroof totally off as I couldn't see how TBH Blush

May have another bash before work tomorrow.

Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 23:46
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
The sealant never worked and it p*ssed out with water from it when I hosepipe tested it this morning Sad

So I took it to a local bodyshop I've used in the past.

The guy said it's not a hard job to sort and agreed that a bit of fibreglass and sealant should sort it, worst case scenario is they weld a plate in around the join. I could do it myself as I did similar stuff when I was younger (in my chav days Blush) but I don't have the time or tools, so I've booked it in with them for Saturday morning for £40, reckons it'll only take a couple of hours so can drop it off first thing and collect it before I go to work at 3pm Smile

Hope this works :fingerscrossedsmiley

Posted 24th Feb 2011 at 15:47