displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Couple of issues: Wheel wobble/Vibration, Swaying back end.
samjl

Junior User

Post #1
Just picked up a GTI-6 for reasonably cheap. I only test drove it for about 5 minutes and there's some things I missed when I was driving it. I'm a little worried, don't want to be spending a fortune already!

First thing is the wobble, it only happens when accelerating, and braking but if I just let my foot off the accelerator, there is no wobble. It starts at about 60, gets really bad at about 80mph, and then better at about 100mph, but still a bit of a vibration. Feels like the whole car is vibrating but it feels quite bad through the steering wheel.

The second thing is that the back end sways from side to side on its own, I only noticed it when I was on the motorway and had to swerve when someone cut me up. The front end straightens up, and the back end feels like it is swaying from side to side, kind of makes it feel like the back end isn't connected to the car.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am suspecting rear beam mounts, the vibration feels like it's coming from the back, and the swaying as well. Just need some confirmation, or if there is something I am missing.
Posted 21st Feb 2011 at 03:15
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I'd agree with rear mounts, they're rubber by default which, when perished, allows the rear end to get up to all kinds of mischief.

The vibration could be related, but is more likely just an unbalanced wheel. I'd start by taking them to a garage and getting them rebalanced, and ask them how far out they were.

Might not be the problem, but for the sake of £20 or so will rule them out Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 21st Feb 2011 at 14:38
samjl

Junior User

Post #3
I'm going to get the car on a ramp tonight and just see what's going on. Will get some solid rear beam mounts if that's the problem. I will also get the wheels balanced, and the tracking done, I can get this done for free so its no big deal.
Posted 21st Feb 2011 at 14:41
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Sounds like a spot-on plan, good luck Yes

Posted 21st Feb 2011 at 14:42
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #5
Beam mounts and a out of balance or buckled wheel would be my first things to look at, sounds like you have it all under control Smile

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 21st Feb 2011 at 22:18
samjl

Junior User

Post #6
Just took it to my friends Garage for him to inspect it, spent about 2 hours checking every bush, linkage and bearing on the car, as well as the engine and box, and everything is in very good condition, apart from the rear beam mounts, they are split, so solid ones will be ordered. Very happy, got a real bargain, it's immaculate underneath, no rust, everything works, I love getting a good car for the money.

Can't belive how well these things handle, even with the split rear beam mounts, it still handles very well, can throw it round corners. I've had quite a few small Honda's over the years, and the handling is very similar to them, excellent car, very happy!
Posted 22nd Feb 2011 at 06:25
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Ah mate, just you wait til you get those solid mounts on Yes

Posted 22nd Feb 2011 at 14:23