displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Heater Blower Woes
paul_gti6_uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Well there is me thinking I've passed the 100k mark in the Ph3 and all is going well. That is until this week when the heater blower has stopped working. I've been reading through the site and others for fixes but as of yet it's still not working.

So far I have checked the fuses and all are OK and swapped all the green relays around to check one of those hasnt died (light green ones). I've checked the voltage going to the motor and that is OK. There is a three pin plug on my motor with a thick Red, thin blue and red, and thick Black. At the red I have 14 volts so all good. The black is earth and I have that. The blue I get varying volts from 1 - 4 I think it was depending what I have my fan speed dial set at.

At the motor terminals I have 10-12volts on the positive terminal depending on fan speed dial position. Oddly it starts at 11 then dips to 10 and the rises to 12. On the negative terminal of the motor I thought this would have continuity with earth but it doesnt?

I've put 12 volts through the motor direct and the fan spins fine.

I've read about a resistor pack so I removed the scuttle etc and air feed but I could not find said resistor pack. Is this in a different place on a phase 3?

I'm now stumped at what I check next. Any help would be much appreciated Big grin

Cheers
Paul

China Blue 306GTI-6 Big grin Ph3

Team Now Bikeless Sad
Posted 19th Feb 2011 at 17:54
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #2
mine packed in well before christmas! and having read various fixes etc it is still duff! i found that a demister pad kept close to hand for those cold frosty mornings helps enormously!
there is apparantly a black relay by the green ones which may be the problem otherwise i expect the motor is fubar as is mine! i have heard several rumours that a new blower motor is on it's way to me but it has yet to materialise Whistle in the mean time the demister pad is working a treat!

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 19th Feb 2011 at 18:01
paul_gti6_uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Thanks for the reply Grumpychef.

I went back out to the car and checked all the voltages again and still had 12v across the motor terminals. This had to mean the motor should be spinning!

So I stripped the motor from the unit again and on closer inspection I could see that one of the brush housings had come loose and the brush was not at the correct angle. This morning when the motor spun I assume I must have made the brush make a good enough connection when looking over the motor.

Anyway £15 later and I have a heater blower that is fully functional again Big grin No idea if that is a good price for a 2nd hand unit, I should have done my research before heading to the local scrap yard.

China Blue 306GTI-6 Big grin Ph3

Team Now Bikeless Sad
Posted 19th Feb 2011 at 19:44