displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: loose steering column
monkgti

Regular

Post #1
well folks, not sure if im posting this in the correct section.... ive noticed a bit of play in the steering column, say if i grab the wheel at the very top and very bottom and keep pressing on it back and forth theres a bit of play which seems to be around the area where the shaft would be going down through the ignition area, if i do the same from the 2 sides of the wheel theres no play. I removed all the covers and tried to thightin up the bolts around the ignition but they were dead thight, i get a small bit of vibration (well more of a rattle) up through the steering somtimes and i think this might be the cause, but how do i fix it? Is there some sort of a bearing inside or would it just be a case of needing a new shaft? has anyone else expierienced any kind of problems like this? Unsure

IF YOU CAN READ THIS IM STILL IN 5TH!!!
Posted 16th Feb 2011 at 01:20
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #2
I've the same problem but can't offer any help, just put it down to the height adjustment being worth what it cost to make LOL

This site is my mechanical bible, Thank-you everyone!!
Posted 16th Feb 2011 at 04:09
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Have you done up all four bolts, or just the two at the front?

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 16th Feb 2011 at 04:17
monkgti

Regular

Post #4
i did it a few months ago but im sure i only remember doing 2 and they were on the height adjuster im fairly sure..... they were from the under side aswell, is there 2 more on top or further down? i did check down near where the joint is at the floor but that was all thight...

IF YOU CAN READ THIS IM STILL IN 5TH!!!
Posted 16th Feb 2011 at 14:51
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Yup, two more a little further down which are mounted on rubber washers, might be worth checking those as well.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 16th Feb 2011 at 15:21
mike rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
i had this problem to,i ended up replacing my steering coloum as the bush inside the coloum was knackered and so was my UJ knuckle.
Posted 18th Feb 2011 at 02:52