displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Stop engine light flashing, what are the typical culprits?
lars

Post #1
As the topic says, my stop engine light keeps flashing as the engine heats up. I initially thought something was really wrong when this big, flashing, red light appeared in my face, but so far everything points to old, french electrics behaving as expected, i.e. not at all.

So far I've removed my bumper to get to the connector at the radiator, found a fair amount of corrosion in the connector which obviously doesn't help my case, but upon testing the light still comes on. The reason I suspect its related to the fans and their wiring loom is that my fans turn on long before my thermostat opens. I cant remember them doing that before but then again I've never looked for it.

I've found my spare thermostat housing with all three sensors in it, and I'm presuming my next step in fault searching will be to swap one, or all of them, and see if the light stops and my fans stay off slightly longer.

What else could cause this light to come on? Known bad earth point? Relays? Etc?

I checked the oil level first thing, but that's just under max, and if I'm not entirely wrong you should be able to detect low oil pressure by the sound of the engine. And the fact it still runs fine after driving me from Heathrow to Warwickshire...
Posted 12th Feb 2011 at 03:44
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Do a search loads of threads on this.

Better posting in engines too..

Anyway likely culprit is either the green sensor or the switch.

Posted 12th Feb 2011 at 17:34
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
wont be green sensor, that's for the ecu, its the brown bugger that controls the coolings.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Feb 2011 at 17:46
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Touche Smile
Posted 12th Feb 2011 at 21:00
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Probably moisture in the bitron fan control unit on the underside of the passenger side chassis leg.

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 12th Feb 2011 at 21:49
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #6
happened to me after some really wet weather, i pulled off the blue temperature gauge sensor made sure it was dry, clicked it back on firmly and have had nothing since.

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 13th Feb 2011 at 01:01
ravemercer

Regular

Post #7
Had this last week temps were all ok but stop light on and off removed blue sensor wiped put back and reset the ecu been fine since.
Posted 13th Feb 2011 at 14:51