displaying posts 26 to 47 of 47

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: new changes to mot 1st january 2012
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
owain wrote:
Decats are not illegal, but will probably definitely cause you to fail on emissions.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 02:50
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #27
owain wrote:
Same as HIDs - they're not illegal per se, but if they leave your lights incorrectly aligned and impossible to realign, that's a fail.

That's where it starts to get all grey and fuzzy. Retrofitted HID's are not type approved and could be argued to be illegal as a result.

It's like how you can wriggle out of a speeding ticket if they've not used type approved speed measurement equipment - they could argue that your HID's are illegal as they aren't type approved.

As far as I am aware though that has never actually happened. So as I said, technically illegal but no clear method of enforcement.

Rich
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 02:54
jcooper776

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Rich E wrote:
owain wrote:
Same as HIDs - they're not illegal per se, but if they leave your lights incorrectly aligned and impossible to realign, that's a fail.

That's where it starts to get all grey and fuzzy. Retrofitted HID's are not type approved and could be argued to be illegal as a result.

It's like how you can wriggle out of a speeding ticket if they've not used type approved speed measurement equipment - they could argue that your HID's are illegal as they aren't type approved.

As far as I am aware though that has never actually happened. So as I said, technically illegal but no clear method of enforcement.

My understanding was that the main problem is incorrectly aligned headlights. Which can be caused by HID's. As a result this dazzles other road users. Mine are correctly aligned and I passed an MOT with them so I don't see an issue with ones that are correctly fitted.

But as you say- it could be argued that retrofitted ones like mine are not type approved. So bit of a grey area.

Sold my GTI-6 now riding in a Scooby

---------------------------------
James
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 03:09
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Whatever f*cking next??!!! This country has become a toilet with toilet rules!!!

I think soon enough the car will be a thing of the past! The main problem in this country is we as a nation have no back bone.

For instance fuel prices. If they were this high in say France then there would be a massive protest and the fuel tankers would be going nowhere. Where as we all just lie down and
take what ever shite is pushed upon us.

I think I speak for many when I say I'm no longer happy to be British!

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 04:04
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Even though this year will be paying for Labours mess I think things will improve, although fuel will never be cheap.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 04:11
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #31
mattgti6phase2 wrote:

For instance fuel prices. If they were this high in say France then there would be a massive protest and the fuel tankers would be going nowhere.

Petrol at the moment costs more in France than it does here, diesel is a fair chunk cheaper.

average prices per litre as at 13 January 2011 sp 95 sp 98 gazole
autoroute/motorway[1] 1.47€ 1.55€ 1.23€
roadside 1.58€ 1.60€ 1.36€
supermarché 1.50€ 1.49€ 1.269€

UK supermarket, [AA figures for December 2010]

1.42€ super
1.48€ diesel
1.47€

[UK prices at £1 = 1.18341€]

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 05:03
v6saloon

Senior User

Post #32
smegal wrote:
owain wrote:
Decats are not illegal, but will probably definitely cause you to fail on emissions.

unless you have a 406 v6 and it still passes LOL

205 mi16
405 Mi16x4 restoration project
406 v6 saloon track car project/daily driver
508 Hdi
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 05:26
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Was looking into this more yesterday now the changes are starting to be published, this is what I've found so far:

Steering locks

"Where a steering lock mechanism is fitted as standard, testers must now check if one is present and operational." - Could be an issue for people who remove the steering barrel and use a starter button instead.

Power Steering

"...will now also cover any significant oil leaks from the steering box. Checks to power steering will now include a check of the fluid level... the check will only apply where the fluid level is visible in the reservoir. Any inappropriate repair or modification to a power steering component will result in a failure. The serious misalignment or fouling of power steering components is also an RfR. The inspection of fluid pipes for damage and fouling will now also include excessive corrosion."

If you have a warning light about power steering and it's on, that an RfR.

Drive shafts

"...drive shaft inner coupling gaiters that are missing. The RfR for gaiters has also been changed to cover all aspects of the gaiter failing to keep the dirt out. Front to rear propshafts still remain outside the scope of the test."

Bodywork

"Rear passenger doors opening"
"All door hinges, catches and pillars"

De-cats
"Catalytic converter missing" - not clear, but implies that whether you pass emissions or not, having it missing is a fail.

Brakes
"Inappropriate brake system repairs or modifications"
"Defective ABS or ESC components"

"Additional checks of the security of brake cables, rods and joints must be made and testers should fail any mechanical brake component if it has been inappropriately repaired or modified."

"Originally only checking the linkage, testers will now need to check if the [load-sensing]valve itself is also: • seized or inoperative • defective so that its function is impaired • incorrectly adjusted."

"RfR if ...during a decelerometer test, the vehicle deviates from a straight line when the parking brake is applied."

Interior
"Illumination of malfunction indicator light (MIL) for electronic power steering, electronic stability control, electronic park brake control, brake fluid warning lamp, tyre pressure monitoring system and air bag/pre-tensioner"
"Driver’s seat adjustment"
"Speedometer"

Lights
"Headlamp cleaning and self-levelling if high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps are fitted"
"Products on the lens that reduce light output"

Suspension
"Inappropriate suspension repairs or modifications"

Could be interesting Thumbs up

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 09:57
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
At a guess i'd say inappropriate modification would be things like the car sitting on its bump stops or bodged repairs. The suspension side of thing was never really an issue unless parts were faulty, now the practicality side comes into it. The DUB scene are going to have a hissy fit over it!

As for HID's, regardless of alignment and glare, the lights need to have washer sprays or some kind of self cleaning device fitted so finally the MOT clears it up. As said before though, all people will do is swap the parts over for the MOT and swap them back after. As i've always said, an MOT usually means jack shit as soon as you leave the garage.

Things like the HID issue should be made road traffic offences instead of just a Vosa issue. If Police know the basic requirements for having HID's fitted the should be able to produce fixed penalty notices on the spot, there's a reason factory fitted kits are designed that way, just buying some projector lenses and a DIY kit doesn't make them safe for other road users. Same goes for cars that are riding on the bumpstops, and looks like with catalytic converters HAVING to be present that they could issue FPN's for not having one without having to do a roadside emissions test. Good news in my book.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 13:50
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Although it'd be a pain in the arse, in New Zealand they're really strict on modding cars, you have to have every mod certified as safe. Lowered your car? Needs a re-test. Changed springs from standard? Re-test.

Annoying, but does mean that people who do things like cut springs down have their cars taken away.

Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 13:53
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
That's a good idea tbh, but have a nominal fee instead of a full retest. Just get the parts fitted signed off and get a wee certificate listing the parts tested.

Can't prove you've had the parts signed off? Leave your car here until you get the paperwork you "forgot"..

Hmm maybe a national database listing these things so Police can check at the roadside. "your suspension seems a little [b]too]/b] low there, had that certified?" *beep beep* "nope, you haven't. Give me your keys ta"

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 14:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Yup, that's pretty much what they do Yes

However they also have optional car insurance, which seems odd.

Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 14:04
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #38
Maybe the government are pushing for Japanese style car market where it will be just too un-economical to run a car that's older than 3 or 4 years.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 14:04
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
smegal wrote:
owain wrote:

Mine passed with Decat

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 14:05
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
This is annoying to say the least. As im planning to lighten and strip my car, half of the things i intend to do might well be illegal. Means i will have to fork out for various parts that i will either have to remove and refit every year, or fork out for a trailer and tow the car everywhere. Some of the new rules regarding cars really p*sses me off. I do however see the benefits of having less mouthbreathing barryboys on the road. As long as they keep the MOT tests strictly safety related i'm happy.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 17:53
geldy

Post #41
i spoke to a mot tester and if the mod is on you insurance is ok and legial, so if you have a aftermarket ecu as long as its on you polcy your ok, as they are trying to clamp down on mods that you have not told your insurance about, and things like steering locks and stuff they have to work if they are fitted but if there not there it will not fail even if the car rolled out the shop with one, as i was worryed about my drift car as nothing is standerd on it lol and yes you only ned a cat to pass the test, hope this clears up a few things for people, and HID's just change for test like you would your cat Wink

rwd is the way to go!
Posted 30th Sep 2011 at 08:18
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
pebbles167 wrote:
As im planning to lighten and strip my car, half of the things i intend to do might well be illegal.

What specifically? I've removed almost everything on my car and it should still pass if you're sensible. I did things like leave in the old seatbelts so my harnesses don't need to be tested. With little things like that you should hopefully keep it legal, else we're all doomed.

geldy wrote:
i spoke to a mot tester and if the mod is on you insurance is ok and legial, so if you have a aftermarket ecu as long as its on you polcy your ok

<ahem>Bullshit</ahem>

MOT stations don't have access to your insurance policy, and can't possibly know what mods you have declared. The MOT test is there to verify roadworthiness of your vehicle, not legality. Even as of this month's issue of the MOT Tester's mag they still haven't decided on how they're going to uphold this ECU regulation, so I can only assume this mechanic writes EU directives in his spare time.

Posted 30th Sep 2011 at 08:28
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #43
geldy wrote:
i spoke to a mot tester and if the mod is on you insurance is ok and legial, so if you have a aftermarket ecu as long as its on you polcy your ok, as they are trying to clamp down on mods that you have not told your insurance about, and things like steering locks and stuff they have to work if they are fitted but if there not there it will not fail even if the car rolled out the shop with one, as i was worryed about my drift car as nothing is standerd on it lol and yes you only ned a cat to pass the test, hope this clears up a few things for people, and HID's just change for test like you would your cat Wink

You and others in this thread, do realise an MOT is only really valid for the 30 seconds it takes the guy to print it? Once you leave, if you are stopped by VOSA and the police for an on the spot check and they find the decat you swapped over, the HID's you plugged back in, you will be issued a penalty notice and have to get a new MOT with these faults passing a test.

It is all well and good to change everything over, but don't think that for the next 364 days until the next MOT that you are legal.

The MOT system has always been a half arsed affair, checking very little of what is actually likely to be 'dangerous'.

It's only changing to what it should have always been.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 30th Sep 2011 at 08:53
    306crazy

Regular

Post #44
    f*ck all of that. End of
    Posted 30th Sep 2011 at 08:55
    pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
    pebbles167 wrote:
    This is annoying to say the least. As im planning to lighten and strip my car, half of the things i intend to do might well be illegal. Means i will have to fork out for various parts that i will either have to remove and refit every year, or fork out for a trailer and tow the car everywhere. Some of the new rules regarding cars really p*sses me off. I do however see the benefits of having less mouthbreathing barryboys on the road. As long as they keep the MOT tests strictly safety related i'm happy.

That's one of the things I was planning on doing, my primary concern however is to do with operation of the airbags. From reading various threads on this site though I now understand that as long as it has been properly removed then as its not present it doesn't need to be tested. So in theory should pass.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
    Posted 30th Sep 2011 at 09:53
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
    Yup, mine did. I think it's only a problem (and will continue as such) if you have an airbag warning light on in the car.

Remove the airbags + remove the bulb = win.

Posted 30th Sep 2011 at 09:56
    pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
    Excellent. Win indeed.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
    Posted 30th Sep 2011 at 10:06

Pages (2): 1 [2]