displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: How to wire RCA to head unit
jcooper776

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Question for anyone who knows how to wire up audio as I haven't a clue what I'm doing LOL

Trying to wire up an active sub box with built in amp from my boot to my headunit.

Already routed the power cable to the battery, no problem with that.

The issue is the RCA cables that connect from the amp in the boot to the back of the head unit.

How do I go about routing this? Do I have to pull apart the dashboard? Or route it through the engine bay and back in again? What's the best way?

As in depth explanations as possible please Happy

Sold my GTI-6 now riding in a Scooby

---------------------------------
James
Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 21:16
gazzerdaman

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Lift the carpet at the sills and running it down the side of the car, you can then run it along the bottom of the dash and up to the headunit

Gary

Cherry Red GTi 6
Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 21:20
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #3
best way is to follow the route of the power cable if the cables are well insulated and just go up the back of the dash zip tieing in place
Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 21:24
jcooper776

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
gazzerdaman wrote:
Lift the carpet at the sills and running it down the side of the car, you can then run it along the bottom of the dash and up to the headunit

Thanks-yeah I've got as far as routing it from the boot under the back seats and under the front drivers side sill- just unsure on exactly where it enters the dashboard. Somewhere in the footwell?

xsi_lew wrote:
you have to take the head unit out using keys, is it a standard one? if it is it wont have RCA connections and you will have to wire it up using the speaker cables.

Aftermarked head unit and has RCA connectors- right bugger to remove though as I lost the keys for it!

James
Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 21:23
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #5
i edited my post.. i didnt read your first post properly Razz
Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 21:24
jcooper776

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
xsi_lew wrote:
i edited my post.. i didnt read your first post properly Razz

LOL

So you reckon follow the power cable?

I read somewhere you were supposed to keep them seperate as it causes interference?

If I was to do this- I presume I would have to drill another hole in the engine bay to come back in behind the headunit?

James
Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 21:26
sport1901966

Senior User

Post #7
If you have the radio out get a wire hangar cut it open and poke it through the radio opening in the dash aiming towards the foot well (either one is possible), be gentle and with patience you will find a route down and you'll see where the hanger comes out into the footwell. Tape the cables to the wire and gently pull back through. Easy lol

If you've already routed the cables down the otherside to the power cable stick with that as it is preferable and I don't think running with the power cable necessarily makes it easier.

Also don't forget the remote power signal from the head unit to the amp (this can run with the RCA cables)
Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 21:36
jcooper776

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
sport1901966 wrote:
If you have the radio out get a wire hangar cut it open and poke it through the radio opening in the dash aiming towards the foot well (either one is possible), be gentle and with patience you will find a route down and you'll see where the hanger comes out into the footwell. Tape the cables to the wire and gently pull back through. Easy lol

If you've already routed the cables down the otherside to the power cable stick with that as it is preferable and I don't think running with the power cable necessarily makes it easier.

Also don't forget the remote power signal from the head unit to the amp (this can run with the RCA cables)

Sounds like a good plan I might give that a go Thumbs up

James
Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 21:37
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
In my old car i ran the power cable along the n/s under the carpet and the RCA leads down the o/s under the carpet (and the remote power signal one along the middle of the car, was a nightmare to route LOL)

When i got to the drivers footwell i ran the cables up under the carpet then out along the bottom of the dash, cable tied to the metal bar that runs along. I then just went up when i got to the centre bit and to the back of the head unit.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 00:44
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
The way you want to do it is thus..

Start from the head unit end otherwise its a world of hurt.

As your facing the the dash poke the RCA and remote (cable tie them together) down towards the drivers foot well, They will go. Will come out where the bottom of the dash meets the center console in the foot well, near the heater vent.

Now i ran my Power down the drivers side, you want to keep power and RCA seperate its just good practice if you don't do that, get it all neatly in listen to some music and get interference your going to cry.

So you can then route the RCA round the center console and it will nicely sit in that gap. under the little cover that covers the interior fan motor and down the passenger side of the car.

If you want a couple of pictures send me a PM and I will show you if that isn't very clear.
Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 14:18
jcooper776

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Thanks for the help.

Had a go this afternoon and it is now all wired up and working Smile

Used the coat hanger trick to get the rca and remote cables down to the footwell- which worked well.

My power cable is routed down the passenger side so no problems with interference.

Only complications I had was a bit of tricky soldering for connectors for the remote cable and when I had wired it all up there was no power to start with but realised this was due to the earth cable not being secured in the right place.

Easy once you know how!

Only thing left that I wasn't sure about is to do with the rca cable. On one end of the cable there is an additional positive power connector. If I connect this to the positive power terminal on the amp- it has some LEDs that light up on the rca ends. But when everything is turned off- the LEDs stay lit- which I presume will drain the battery.

So I have left it disconnected- the sub and amp still operate the same without it.

Take it this doesn't make any difference? As not entirely sure what the point of it is.

James
Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 22:34
skinnyman76

Regular

Post #12
put the led power wire onto your remote wire on the amp not your live and this will make the lights only operate when your head unit is switched on.. the leds are just for show

pug power !!!
i got the need for a 6 speed!!!
Posted 3rd Mar 2011 at 04:37
djmobi

Regular

Post #13
I've got all this to do tomorrow. Unfortunately I have 3 RCA's to run down one side of the car.

I'm assuming I can run one remote and link this across both amps.

I'm gonna do a proper project thread if anyone else is going to attempt this.

Success is moving from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Gti6 Astor Grey
Posted 4th Mar 2011 at 03:13