displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Distance between rear wheels??
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #1

Hi.
If not too much trouble, could someone please measure the distance between the rear wheels on their 6 for me??. I know it's in the handbook, but wondered whether the track on the rear of a Gti6 is wider??. What i'm after exactly is the distance centre of tyre to other centre of tyre, if you know what i mean. Looking forward to your findings.
Thanks for your time in advance. Jim.
Posted 3rd Feb 2011 at 16:11
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
wider than what?
need to take wheel offset and width into account if measuring to the centre of the wheels. easier to measure brake disc to brake disc

if its going on a 205, there about 40-50mm wider and just don't work waaaay to wide.

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 3rd Feb 2011 at 16:47
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #3
rallyeash wrote:
wider than what?
need to take wheel offset and width into account if measuring to the centre of the wheels. easier to measure brake disc to brake disc

if its going on a 205, there about 40-50mm wider and just don't work waaaay to wide.

Wider than the lesser model 306's!. With all respect, i just wanted a measurement for a standard 306 gti6, with standard 195/55's, no spacers fitted or anything like that please. Can see where you're coming from with the above. If brake disc to brake disc would be easier?, then that measurement please. Just to elaborate a little. Fitted a replacement beam on my 6, excellent low mileage example came of a 2.0 xsi, had all the right bits, the bigger red TB's, calipers, discs etc etc. Thing is, and may be an optical illusion but it looks narrower when looking at it. It may be that i was so used to seeing the completely knackered beam, i'm just not used to seeing it how it should be!. Anyway if someone could help with the measurement??, that would be great. Cheers rallyeash for the commentsWink . Been there and done it with the 205's, had about 6 before.
Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 02:59
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
nope, all the same.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 03:17
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #5
welshpug! wrote:
nope, all the same.

Thanks Welshpug, Would that even be the earlier Ph1 models??, say a 1996.
Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 15:35
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
yup Smile

then only ones that may vary would be drum brake models, all disc brake models weren the same width, all Sport levl beams are the same anyway, i.e XSI GTI6, Rallye, DTurbo HDI (1.9 DT is XS spec)

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 19:52
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #7
welshpug! wrote:
yup Smile

then only ones that may vary would be drum brake models, all disc brake models weren the same width, all Sport levl beams are the same anyway, i.e XSI GTI6, Rallye, DTurbo HDI (1.9 DT is XS spec)

That's good to know, thanks Welshpug. Just looked like the rear wheels were sitting in a little further than they should be. Hopefully it will be ok??. Happy .
Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 22:45
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
its likely that the old beam was buggered making the wheels lean in a lot at the top, giving the optical illusion of extra width.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 23:05
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #9
welshpug! wrote:
its likely that the old beam was buggered making the wheels lean in a lot at the top, giving the optical illusion of extra width.

Old beam was definitely buggered mate!! Shock. I know this is a common prob with these cars, especially high mileagers!. The wheels/tyres were actually rubbing on the plastic inner wing liners at the top. On closer inspection, right hand side arm had actually collapsed completely Shock , still drove relatively well though!. This would have explained the car slightly drifting to the right of it's own accord.
Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 23:24