displaying posts 51 to 75 of 90

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4

Author Subject: Battery cutoffs
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #51
buzzbrightyear wrote:
daveyboy wrote:
The pull cables come in different lengths, obviously you mount the swich in the cabin where you can reach it, the pull cord is so sombody outside the car can isolate if if you are unconcious/decapitated/impaled/busy burning...

What if the cars rolled onto the switch and it can't be reached

Durr! Your f**ked, obviously Roll eyes

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 11:07
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #52
Matt_rallye wrote:
Ahhh suppose that makes sense, I kinda only want mine to stop people being able to start the car lol. As I'm stripping out almost everything and I live in quite a dodgy area, if the battery is cut off and they somehow manage to obtain my keys they won't be able to start it when I remove the red key Smile

And kinda for the look.
Because race car haha

I put a toggle switch for the disconnecting the live to my ecu under the dash, no ecu power no start. Smile

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 11:09
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
I really want to do the race car style ignition, fuel pump, start switches as well now Big grin

As Matt said, because race car!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 11:36
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
Matt_rallye wrote:
if the battery is cut off and they somehow manage to obtain my keys they won't be able to start it when I remove the red key

It's a standard key you'd find on most industrial switches, hardly a security device.

Matt_rallye wrote:
And kinda for the look.

There we go Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 11:43
rikky 🦔

Post #55
tbh if you are having an isolator key like that you wouldn't be getting it nicked anyway cos it'd really be a bespoke track car which is confined to a garage most of the time. i think it's either do it properly or don't atall Unsure

them keys are usually wired into an FIA isolator which eliminates further circuits on the rear aswell. they are designed to be ripped out when your car is upside down as mangled wreckage and want to kill the engine whilst crawling across the track gravel from the mess. they aren't a theft deterrent LOL i had a snap-off wheel in mine which would be more confusing for a thief but i wouldn't worry too much

they just get messed about with if you take them out somewhere aswell. i had kids fiddling with my popit vents and switches at the Shell garage when it ran out of fuel. so i took it home and garaged it for another 8 months

i had a further switch at the rear in the dummy fuel cap to kill spark

go all out. cage, buckets, polycarbs, let the water p**s into the car, get it functional for track. f**k the stereo and what the sluts in Pizza hut think of your big red key and pull switch

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 11:47
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
rikky wrote:
i had kids fiddling with my popit vents... so i took it home

They still living in your bassment?

Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 11:49
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #57
Rumour has it Rikky loves a fiddle with a little Poppet's vent.

Harness bars
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 11:52
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #58
Ahhh well fair enough, anyone want to do mine for me Wink haha
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 11:56
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #59
daveyboy wrote:
Rumour has it Rikky loves a fiddle with a little Poppet's vent.

Worst day of my life so far...

Since I live in the middle of no-where and there are much more valuable cars parked on our drive, I'm not too worried about anyone stealing the car! She'll eventually go into one of the storage garages once I can convince my Dad that he doesn't need so many classic cars Big grin Car gets trailered everywhere anyway as she's not insured, taxed, MOTed etc.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 11:58
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #60
Dan where do you live? Fancy a cutoff switch/battery relocation meet Laugh my ass off:

No way I feel confident enough to chop into the ignition, id definitely get the wrong one haha
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 12:08
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
Matt_rallye wrote:
Dan where do you live? Fancy a cutoff switch/battery relocation meet Laugh my ass off:

No way I feel confident enough to chop into the ignition, id definitely get the wrong one haha

Between Tonbridge / Maidstone in Kent. I'm going to do my own relocation cables though as I'm not sure on exact positioning of the battery and switch yet.

I wonder if it's possible to mount the switch in the driver's side heater vent, like the boost gauges can be done. That way it's easily accessible in the event of a crash and only a short distance to the pull cable outside. Hmmmm....

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 12:16
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #62
Ahhh fair enough, drivers side vent sounds good enough place, I'm going to put mine in the dash where the cig lighter is
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 12:27
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
Make sure you can reach it with harnesses on, not a normal seat belt. Harnesses have no give whatsoever, so you'd be surprised how far you can't reach. Would probably struggle to reach the vent if you were in harnesses tbh.

Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 12:31
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
owain wrote:
Make sure you can reach it with harnesses on, not a normal seat belt. Harnesses have no give whatsoever, so you'd be surprised how far you can't reach. Would probably struggle to reach the vent if you were in harnesses tbh.

Fair point, before I sorted the seat I couldn't turn the wheel more than about 50 degrees! I think where you've positioned your's is best if I can get a pull cable to reach there. I'm against mounting it in the main portion of the dash as I'm doing to be taking it all out and replacing it with a flat panel (much like Owain's done...)

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 12:36
rikky 🦔

Post #65
Eoin is super-efficient

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 12:38
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #66
demondriverdan wrote:
owain wrote:

Fair point, before I sorted the seat I couldn't turn the wheel more than about 50 degrees! I think where you've positioned your's is best if I can get a pull cable to reach there. I'm against mounting it in the main portion of the dash as I'm doing to be taking it all out and replacing it with a flat panel (much like Owain's done...)

Yeah +1 the guy I bought my shell off had uber long arms so installed all his switchgear on the centre console of the dash, I of course can't reach them when strapped in so will be making a switch panel box on the transmission tunnel to house the bias valve, cut off switch and controls for lights, ignition, engine start etc.

Harness bars
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 14:16
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #67
I think I'd still like to have the ignition, fuel pump and ECU switches there (if I ever do them) as I probably won't be using them when I am belted in.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 14:24
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #68
daveyboy wrote:
demondriverdan wrote:
owain wrote:

Yeah +1 the guy I bought my shell off had uber long arms so installed all his switchgear on the centre console of the dash, I of course can't reach them when strapped in so will be making a switch panel box on the transmission tunnel to house the bias valve, cut off switch and controls for lights, ignition, engine start etc.

Come on Dave, i want thread updates on your project. Chop chop. LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 15:23
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
Looking to be about £200 for a Varley Red Top 25, FIA cut-off switch and pull cord. Just need wiring and a mechanism of holding the battery down now.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 17:47
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #70
Jeez, do they have to be fia approved for track use then? I thought £50 for that one you posted up was a lot.....
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 17:52
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #71
Jeez, do they have to be fia approved for track use then? I thought £50 for that one you posted up was a lot.....
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 17:54
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
No, not for just track use but I'm prepping for racing in a few years as well so may as well do it right the first time!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 17:56
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #73
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 17:57
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #74
What costs £50?

Harness bars
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 18:22
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #75
Matt_rallye wrote:
Ahhh well fair enough, anyone want to do mine for me Wink haha

Seeing as I can't do your cage (not got a tube bender) I'll fit your battery relocation and kill switch if you want?

EDIT: For a small fee of course Wink

Harness bars
Posted 24th Aug 2012 at 18:28

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4