displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: hunting and stalling gti6
l_e_cook

Post #1
i have just bought a 1998 306 gti6, got her home and all was running sweet,until the next day when i started it from cold first of all it stalled out and when i restarted it it starter revving up and down between 1000 and 2000 rpm , this happens whether its hot or cold and today on my way home from work in the rush hour traffic it kept stalling out yet it still starts back up on the button

any ideas?? would be great as i only got it Friday just gone and am still yet to enjoy it

cheers
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 22:59
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I have this every now and again, I think its the icv
Idle control valve, either that or the maf, but someone more in the know should be able to clarify

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 23:05
l_e_cook

Post #3
i am totally new to the gti engine had a old Dturbo before but this is my first proper powerful car if anyone has pictures of where the sensors are and whether i should go genuine or if non-gen will do the trick would be much appreciated

cheers
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 23:07

Junior User

Post #4
hi been having simular probs with my 1.6 engine, unplug the throttle positioning sensor just on the back of the throttle body if this helps find out what the resitance should be mine is

closed throttle - 1.4v
open throttle - 4.9v

use a multimeter and check the voltage by opening and closing, check your manual for your resistence,
check for vacum leaks,clean iacv, clean the butterfly in the throttle body could have carbon build up,check purge canister, fuel delivery, injecters,map sensor,engine compresion,fuel pump,ingnition coil, spark leads etc....

it could be many thinks which cause this kind of problem just gota try evrything and hope for the best.
also whatch what aftermarket parts you buy, if you get aftermarket go to you local parts store evryone says use ebay but half the stuf that comes of there is a load of dodgy crap
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 18:31
l_e_cook

Post #5
bump

this is driving me crazy ive been quoted £136 for one of the sensors and £96 for the other i want to go gen but dont want to spend mega bucks and it not fix the problem

any help would be great
Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 02:19
cooper666

Senior User

Post #6
see if you can take it over to gkz206 hes not to far from you and good with these cars save you guessing which sensor it is.if it is a sensor

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 02:33
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
its the idle control valve Yes
give it a good clean with carb cleaner or white spirit .
worth cleaning or replacing your plugs aswell
Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 12:14
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Mine has been doing this, I put it down to a boost leak as only started to do it once I swapped coolers for a larger o e as it ran fine before, may have to try that tho

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 12:45
l_e_cook

Post #9
i replaced the plugs saturday just gone and intend on doing an oil change and filter change this weekend but since i done the plugs its stared smoking blue and smells really rich
cheers lee
Posted 9th Feb 2011 at 02:57
l_e_cook

Post #10
had the old girl booked into pug today and have been told its the stepper motor was just wandering on opinions whether to go gen or if it would be ok to just get a non-gen one as there is nearly £100 difference in it, any opinions would be great

thankiess
Posted 11th Feb 2011 at 22:33