displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: De-cat Comparison
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Believe me when I say I've searched. I have searched simply for "de-cat", and have read every single thread that looks relevant. I also tagged a reply on a different exhaust thread but haven't had any replies, presumably down to the irrelevant title.

Or because everyone hates me.

I want to replace my exhaust. I want something stainless (ie light and not rusty) to replace my current non-Pug but standard ten-tonne rustpile. I don't want anything loud, which basically lands me with Jetex according to all the threads I've read.

However, while I'm there I might as well sort the cat as well, again I've got the standard heavy rusty steel one.

I know the deal with the de-cats generally, potentially lost torque but maybe better power up top. Better noise, probably some popping and banging just for fun as well.

However, there are no threads which seem to compare the de-cats. Possibly because no-one's ever owned more than one kind, I don't know. I'd keep the old cat in case it's ever needed (ahem) so no need to go into the emissions issues. Whilst it's basically just a bit of pipe, it does seem there is a bit more science to it than that.

What's best to go for? Or are they all the same? Magnex seem common but I'd guess they're louder as per their exhausts. Devil seem to be pretty well thoughts of; PugSport also do, but they're like hen's teeth.

I do *not* want anything loud, I'm all about saving weight and making a nice noise. I also understand that heat-wrapping the de-cat can help keep the noise sensible.

Does anyone have any experiences? It's a dedi track car so pops and bangs aren't a massive issue, but I don't want to look like a chav on the roads. I do *not* want to fail any noise tests on track days either Roll eyes

If anyone has any input, it would be much appreciated Smile

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 22:27
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I have a de-cat on my '6, it doesnt generally pop and bang under normal driving, once its nice and warm it can be induced quite easily between 4-5k on mine, below 3.5k it wont pop.

I dont really know what make my de-cat is though, it came with a magnex back box and some p.o.s. centre box so i had a custom centre section knocked up.

Since i have fitted the exhaust it does seem to have free'd up the engine a little, working along side the billet flywheel and alloy pullies.

Mine's a bit loud though so this exhaust is going on my track car and my old peugeot system is going back on once i have my track car engine rebuilt.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 02:02
ant_kernow

Senior User

Post #3
i have just bought a pug sport 1. fitting it tomorrow, so ill let you know how it is.

team umpalumpa.
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 02:10
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I can't personally see there being much difference in de-cats. I have a magnex on a standard system and it's very raspy at low revs, I had one on my previous rallye aswell. I heat wrapped that one and it didn't sound much different, the heat wrapping rotted it really badly though.
Remember with the magnex it's made to connect to a standard sytem so goes from 2.5" down to a sleeve fit 2" so you may want to mod this if you fit it to a 2" + system.

stainless systems aren't necessarily light weight either.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 02:38
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
i dont hate you dude.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 03:19
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
buzzbrightyear wrote:
i dont hate you dude.

Woohoo! One for me Smile

Good point about the weight as well, I do intend on weighing the current one before parting with any cash.

Hmm, well if there's not much difference that'll help, means I can pretty much buy any old one (as long as it's branded) and give it a go.

If you can let me know how the Pugsport one is that'd be cool Smile

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 13:13
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
i got a pugsport decat Yes
noticably louder on idle over my DIY one.
havent had a chance to give it beans yet tho No
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 15:41
jimmy_boy

Senior User

Post #8
It's a straight through pipe with the same diameters at both ends..

Basically performance wise you won't see a difference.

PS. Devil is best Whistle

GTI-6 & Rallye

Rallye gets sideways in the wet at Snetterton Ninja
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 22:20