displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: P1 S16/XSI Speedo
ballys16

Regular

Post #1
Dear All,
My trusty old S16/XSI hybrid played up on me as far as the instrument cluster is concerned.
For starters it would not show _any_ readings until the cabin heat was lukewarm.
Then all readings would stop again when going over a bump or something.
Fine, contact problem.
Took the cluster out, cleaned the connectors and all was put back. Mind you, the cluster is missing some plastic bits that hold the looms in place but they tend to be quite firm in place.
So, reassemled everything, but still no readings, only lights, stop light, temp warning...
So I wiggled the left top loom a bit and all came back! Smile
Joy Smile
So I decided to reassemble the thing once more.
Sliding the cluster back in place there was a slight smoke cloud for a second or two. Checked things, but readings were OK. There was no sign of anything getting burnt. So this was last night.
This morning however I noticed that even though oil, rev, fuel, temp readings are OK I have lost my speedo!
Looking at the fuse layouts (have not dug in the car yet) I am not sure that there is a fuse dedicated to the speedo.
What is there that I might need to check?
Was long, yes, sorry.

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 00:21
rikky 🦔

Post #2
sounds like the loom has broke up at the pins, had similar and rewired it. the only other time my speedo stopped working was the connection to the vss

is yours cable driven or electronically driven?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 00:09
ballys16

Regular

Post #3
rikky wrote:
sounds like the loom has broke up at the pins, had similar and rewired it. the only other time my speedo stopped working was the connection to the vss

is yours cable driven or electronically driven?

Hello Rikky,
It's electronically driven.
When warm and thumping the cluster all but the speedo come on.
Rev seems to be OK all the time - so the VSS might be OK, no?
Thanks!
B.

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 00:21
aggyj17

Junior User

Post #4
ballys16: i have just put a s16 engine into my xsi 8v and the s16s speedo was cable driven im just wondering if you had a simular problem when you done the conversion and how you got round it if you did.
thanks
Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 02:36
aggyj17

Junior User

Post #5
hi mate did you get the speedo working? if so how did you do it
Posted 11th Jul 2011 at 05:51