displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: gearbox mount, easy to fit?
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #1
Hello all,

i think i might upgrade my gearbox mount at some point and was just wondering how easy it is? it looks pretty simple from the FAQ..

Cheers
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 16:37
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
i was thinking about giving this a shot as well, the faq does make it look easy, but im just worried about the jacking up the engine bit and the potential for serious f-ups
how much is a gearbox mount anyway? i should probably look into that too

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 16:47
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #3
for a fast road one its about £50 on spoox. i think the best thing to do in terms of jacking the engine is to used a block of wood to support the engine and the gear box sump.
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 17:20
jbradders

Regular

Post #4
You only have to jack the gearbox up just to hold the weight,then 3 bolts.
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 17:27
rikky 🦔

Post #5
easy as anything

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 17:46
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
yes as above very easy, always look at Mile's off here's uprated mounts, i had the Gearbox and lower engine mount Thumbs up just make sure the one you buy already has the new mount pressed in to save ballache, and its an easy switch.

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 18:02
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
is there much point getting a uprated one? exactly how much more vibration do you get?, at the moment my car shakes like $£$£ when i acclerate , seems to happen most in like 6th and 4th at high speed and about 3-4k
the gear knob nods a lot when the shaking is going on aswell, i assume this mount is the problem?

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 18:06
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
the mount, if completly knackered may be the cause vibration but not so specifically in those gears.. as far as vibrations, i had updated mounts Group N, as well as uprated gear linkages and solid rear beam mounts and there was a lot of vibration. when i first started the engine i litterally though WTF IS GOING ON, but got used to it, the acceleration and general response was improved somewhat if not more so by placebo more than anything LOL

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 18:24
gota6again

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
eliotrw wrote:
is there much point getting a uprated one? exactly how much more vibration do you get?, at the moment my car shakes like $£$£ when i acclerate , seems to happen most in like 6th and 4th at high speed and about 3-4k
the gear knob nods a lot when the shaking is going on aswell, i assume this mount is the problem?

Driveshaft fella Thumbs up
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 18:19
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
really?... is this going to be expensive? Sad

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 18:25
gota6again

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I got mine done about a year ago but there was loads of other work done at the same time so couldn't tell you if it was cheap or not.
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 18:34
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
i just had a good search after you said driveshafts and it looks like youre right
Looks like this will be more expensive than i hoped... tax soon aswell

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 18:35
ravemercer

Regular

Post #13
Parts are fairly cheap changing is quite straight forward about 1 ½ - 2 hr. Drivers sides the worst those two poxy 11mm nuts ratchet spanners a gods send, if you have the tools you would be surprised how easy it is.
Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 04:16