displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: revs rise when clutch is depressed
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #1
Having a couple of issues with the car at the moment and have spent the last few days searching on here to try and find an answer. Everytime i change gear mostly between first and second the revs rise up. Its almost as if i've blipped the throttle, but i've been making a conscious effort not to recently. The revs also shoot up a bit just as im about to come to a stop after ive taken the car out of gear for the last few seconds.

The car hasn't felt as sharp of late and seems to lack top end grunt. I've also noticed an increased whining noise in the lower gears, which is slightly lessened when the clutch pedal is depressed but you can still hear it, also worse when cold. The car also seems to lurch a fair bit when i come off the throttle at speed.

I was concerned about my gearbox oil level so i topped it up and it seemed to temporarily help the situation for about a day.

The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, i've planted my foot under load up hills a few times to test it and there's also no judder on take off.

I'm thinking that it could be clutch related, release bearing or something because of the whine. I'm hoping its not gearbox related although the whine still appears a bit when the clutch is depressed (pedal fully pressed in). Read something on other car forums about a faulty clutch switch, do we have them?

Could it be that the clutch isn't completely disengaging hence the increased revs between changes? Any ideas on the whining sound? I hope its something simple like the clutch as there's no grinding noises from the box.

When using the lower gears before this started happening i remember the car wanting to pull itself along quite hard at low speed even with minimal throttle, it seems like there is some kind of resistance that is freed up when i depress the clutch or take the car out of gear that allows the car to rev how it wants, just an idea.

Just to add the car has had in the last few months:

new lambda
new MAP
new TPS
new CTS
new ICV

all OEM

Thanks

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 27th Jan 2011 at 22:08
rich306.

Regular

Post #2
I've recently had a new clutch fitted and still have this issue when the cars cold, once it's warmed up a bit things seem normal. But i'd be interested aswell too see if anybody knows what it could be as I would have thought clutch aswell had it not just had a new one.

Ex Bianca 6 Owner R.I.P

Mazda RX7 FD3s - Daily...
Posted 27th Jan 2011 at 22:18
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #3
did you have any whining too?

Posted 27th Jan 2011 at 22:19
rich306.

Regular

Post #4
At about 3000Rpm in first and second gear there is the faint sounds whining but when reving above or below 3000, nothing.

Ex Bianca 6 Owner R.I.P

Posted 27th Jan 2011 at 22:22
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #5
snap except i get it mostly between 1 and 2k

Posted 27th Jan 2011 at 22:24
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
"revs rise when clutch is depressed"

Are you wearing clown shoes?

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 02:59
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #7
Sounds like the clutch is'nt releasing fully or is dragging. Could be a buildup of dust from the friction plate wearing.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 03:26
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #8
i think i meant revs rise when the clutch pedal is fully depressed, that make a difference?

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 03:27
rich306.

Regular

Post #9
Possibility, could have something to do with the clutch arm as some idiot forgot to get his replaced when he had the clutch done... Whistle

When cold, and even when warm to some extents the revs just seem to hang on when clutch is in, there is a 1 - 3 second delay on the revs dropping, even though it goes in and comes out of gear with no problems as though the clutch is working perfectly fine (even in the 3 second delayed rev drop).

Ex Bianca 6 Owner R.I.P

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 07:30
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #10
I'm almost certain this has something to do with the clutch. Took the car out of gear a few times when driving today and the revs hang there for a second or two then drop down as normal. Thoughts?

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 20:50
rich306.

Regular

Post #11
Yeah that is exactly what I mean by the delay.

Like I said, i've had my clutch and cable replaced recently but like a fool, I never got the clutch arm replaced so I'm wondering if it could be something to do with that.

Ex Bianca 6 Owner R.I.P

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 21:06
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #12
Be great if someone could shed some light on that point, cos I'd get that done at the same time when I eventually replace my clutch. Just to add to the confusion I've noticed my speedo playing up a bit too. Wondering if a faulty VSS might cause any of the above symptoms (apart from the speedo obviously) or does it have naff all to do with the revs

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 22:42
ravemercer

Regular

Post #13
Have any of you tried the crank sensor on top of the gear box this can cause idle issues bolted whit a 10mm hex its black with a brown in-line plug.
Thumbs up
Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 03:55