displaying posts 26 to 50 of 51

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: brake lines
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Ooh very tidy indeed Rikky. Only issue I'd have is that I fill the boot with tools and spares on trackdays, so I'd have to make sure there weren't any lines left exposed.

Did you make the lines up yourself of get them made?

And can someone who knows (as it seems to be a discussion point) tell me what the practical differences are between brass, stainless and galvanised fittings?

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 12:29
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #27
I supplied rikkys lines.
Brass fittings are used on copper pipe.
Stainless fittings are marginly lighter than galvnised ones and wont rust.
Galvanised ends are alot cheaper and will over time rust just the same as standerd fittings do.
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 22:33
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Nice one Swampster.

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 22:35
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #29
I use Zinc plated Steel Thumbs up

They're dirt cheap, a bag of enough to do the whole car, AND a 25 foot roll of pipe, cost me less than a tenner.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 22:45
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
I think mine were brass, but I've only used them for a bit of external stuff, I assumed it might be different for internal braided stainless stuff.

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 22:48
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #31
might be brass coloured, but more likely to be yellow zinc.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 22:53
rikky 🦔

Post #32
the touring cars use steel pipework funnily enough

i still have a 20mtr roll of brake pipe actually and 50x male and 50x female unions all bagged up Doh

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 28th Jan 2011 at 23:59
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
quote:
i still have a 20mtr roll of brake pipe actually and 50x male and 50x female unions all bagged up Doh

I could only get the unions from Unipart at zero notice, so I too have a pot of 50 of each and a big roll of copper Smile

Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 00:12
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
I must admit after seeing Pauls car today I am liking the idea of braided hoses throughout
Posted 30th Jan 2011 at 02:50
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Hmm, I think this definitely needs to be done. I'd never looked into it that much, but if it's just a case of get the hoses and run then straight of the MC that's a whole lot of crap I can remove from under the bonnet.

I'm not even convinced my ABS has ever worked anyway Smile

Also means I could get rid of the rear compensator, so that's one less thing to fail an MOT on.

Does anyone know how hard it is to make up your own lines? I've done copper ones before but never hoses. Much as I'd love to get some properly made up I can never decide exactly where I'll run stuff until I have it in my hand and can see where it all fits.

Posted 30th Jan 2011 at 20:54
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
They are easy to make your self but i would only use stainless steel fittings on braided brake lines.

Never Use Aluminium Fittings On Braking Systems
Some people sell aluminium brake line fittings for brake hoses. Not only is this a dangerous practice but you will also notice that they are normally sold with a 'for race use only' label as a possible legal get out clause for the company involved.
Never use aluminium fittings on brake lines - Why? When two metals with different electromotive force are placed together and are subjected to an electrically conductive fluid, 'electrolytic' corrosion takes place.

Electrolytic corrosion works on the same principles as a battery. Two metals, an anode and a cathode, are placed in fluid and an electrical reaction takes place which results in the softer metal being eroded due to electrolytic corrosion. Once these conditions are met, a "corrosion cell" is created, an electrical current will flow and metal will be consumed at the anode. The only way to remove this corrosion is by using metals of the same electromotive force (EMF).

Costs a bit more but it is worth it in the long run.

This does not only apply to brake lines any types of disimilar metals that have direct contact with each other cause corrosion! Fact!
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 00:33
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Man, I just got FACTED!

Stainless it is, cheers matey.

Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 00:29
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
you are looking at £6 a meter for the teflon line
iv found a few different prices for the fittings on average your looking at £6 for a straight fitting, £7 for 45,75,90 degree ones, £15 for t-piece.
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 00:30
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Sounds good to me. Are they just some kind of compression fitting then? What about sizes, I believe 3mm hose and 10mm fittings if I remember correctly?

Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 00:32
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
Ptfe fittings come with the olive's, all you do is seperate the fitting in half, place the none threaded end over the line, place the olive on the end of the line and then do the threaded end up, this makes the teflon inner line expand over the olive and seals it.
Easy
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 00:34
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
Depending on what brake bias your using you will need either adaptors or just two fittings from the company that make the bias, wilwood sell fittings to suit!
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 00:43
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
Its an-3 pipe which is 3/16th and you will need adaptors fron an3 fitting to 10mm for calipers and mc!

Trying to get a price to do the full kit atm and im also going to see how much swampy will want.
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 00:45
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #43
Let me know lengthes and fittings.
Those prices on the other page are they for mild steel or stainless fittings?
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 00:59
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
pugheaven wrote:
They are easy to make your self but i would only use stainless steel fittings on braided brake lines.

Never Use Aluminium Fittings On Braking Systems
Some people sell aluminium brake line fittings for brake hoses. Not only is this a dangerous practice but you will also notice that they are normally sold with a 'for race use only' label as a possible legal get out clause for the company involved.
Never use aluminium fittings on brake lines - Why? When two metals with different electromotive force are placed together and are subjected to an electrically conductive fluid, 'electrolytic' corrosion takes place.

Electrolytic corrosion works on the same principles as a battery. Two metals, an anode and a cathode, are placed in fluid and an electrical reaction takes place which results in the softer metal being eroded due to electrolytic corrosion. Once these conditions are met, a "corrosion cell" is created, an electrical current will flow and metal will be consumed at the anode. The only way to remove this corrosion is by using metals of the same electromotive force (EMF).

Costs a bit more but it is worth it in the long run.

This does not only apply to brake lines any types of disimilar metals that have direct contact with each other cause corrosion! Fact!

What about ally brake calipers or is the mass enough to stop this?

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 01:17
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
Iv got it written down somewhere from my training records, but using copper washers between surfaces helps a little, will try and get some Photos up to show corrosion! Iirc steel has something like -0.34 and ally is +1.4emf
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 01:50
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
Swampy the prices are for stainless it's an American company I found for those prices, not including delivery but I'm sure I can find a company in the uk!
I was surprised at those priced as I paid £12-18 from thinkautomotive for fittings for my fuel lines
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 01:53
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #47
That price from thinkauto is more like it for uk prices.
I
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 02:05
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Got that the wrong way round ally is +1.66 volts and steel is -0.34 volts! Just spoke to a mate of mine regarding alloy cslopers and steel fittings, he explained how the mass of the caliper will over power the voltage from the steel fitting however you might over time still get corrosion on the caliper, away around this is to use ptfe tape on the male to male fitting between the caliper and line!
I have seen first hand proof of such corrosion on aircraft however you can not always prevent it from happening just give both materials a good clean every now and then.
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 02:07
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
The company in America was speedflow. If u go on eBay ant type in stainless steel an3 then look at the bottom of the page there is a company that sell 19",24"& 48 inch Teflon braided lines with a straight snd 45 degree fittings pre fabricated for £10 upwards, I emailed them and they have said they can make any length with what ever fittings I require, so I going to get some measurements hopefully Tuesday and see what price he gives me!
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 02:26
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
Sorry for spelling mistakes, using my phone now and it's a mission! X :-)
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 02:27

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3