displaying posts 876 to 882 of 882

Pages (36): first .. 34 35 [36]

Author Subject: Goldie the track car
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #876
Where did you source your engine bits from? Looking to get rings, mains and big ends and gaskets, for my mates 6
Posted 25th Jan 2020 at 18:43
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #877
hovis16 wrote:
Lol throttle bodies, road, easy life I think not.

True, slightly easier than boosted life going on race tracks then Laugh

blandy wrote:
Where did you source your engine bits from? Looking to get rings, mains and big ends and gaskets, for my mates 6

I've been using buy car parts for most of my parts recently. I think they're part of Autodoc or just a different front, seem to have a decent selection of manufacturers at fair prices and both my orders have come from Germany. The only down side is it takes at least a week for the parts to arrive which isn't an issue if you're not in a hurry for them.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 25th Jan 2020 at 19:59
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #878
Cool thanks
Posted 25th Jan 2020 at 20:24
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #879
More progress since the last update.

New crank seal went in.
20200118_130609 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Lightened flywheel back on
20200118_131708 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Clutch back on
20200118_132504 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Converted the thermostat housing setup to use 4 studs instead of 2 and 2 of them funny long bolts they use as standard. Had to linish down one of the captive washers so it didnt foul the baker bm adapter but all in all this is a way better setup as the standard bolts only get a couple of threads of purchase into the head.
20200118_133709 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20200118_135105 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Replaced the seal in the water pump take off whilst i had easy access to it, also cleaned everything up between taking this photo and fitting it
20200118_135414 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Half way through putting everything back together
20200118_193049 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Bought a pair of 60mm id 140mm long ~350lb springs.
20200208_123841 by Steve Count, on Flickr

More of the front end back together. I've fitted the oil cooler in place but it's not plumbed in for the running in process.
20200208_123853 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Added some brake ducting once again
20200208_130039 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20200208_132038 by Steve Count, on Flickr

And all back together
20200208_150337 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I've had it started and it seems to run well enough for the brief time it was on. I'm just waiting for a day of decent weather with no salt on the roads so i can take it for a long run and get everything ran in.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 9th Feb 2020 at 18:56
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #880
Good man

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 10th Feb 2020 at 14:23
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #881
Fantastic Thumbs up
Good luck Steve
Posted 10th Feb 2020 at 18:12
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #882
Time for a small update.

After building the new engine over Christmas last year I was ready to run it in earlier this year. I'd got the week booked off work and no other real plans other than to drive round aimlessly to get some mileage on the new engine. Unfortunately that week was the first week of UK covid lockdown so that didn't happen.
I hadn't really planned on doing any trackdays this year but with the whole covid situation cancelling every other fun event i've had planned i was chomping at the bit to do something fun and when asked if i fancied a trackday at Blyton park I knew I had to go for it.
I stripped the KW's off knowing that they needed fixing and sent them off, the intention to have them checked and valved to suit 350lb springs. Unfortunately i've bent both of them and KW no longer support any of their line-up for the 306 so they're as good as dead now.
After a bit of panicking about a solution with the trackday booked and coming up quick i was struggling to find anywhere that had any suitable coilovers in stock that would reach me in time, there was a lead time with Gaz to have some made which wouldn't have arrived until after the trackday but Allan said to have a look at the Bilstein coilovers for a 205. I ordered a pair and they eventually arrived a week before the trackday. There's much more to this entire story but I can't be bothered to type it all out, long story short I have no luck with things ever going smoothly Laugh

Anyway, i got them built up and slapped on the car, adapting a few bits of my old kw setup to suit as i was also flat out working on getting a mates car ready for the trackday too. I'm now using 2.25" springs rather than the stupidly overpriced 60mm versions i'd been using in the past.

20200826_201357 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20200830_134258 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I managed to get 250 run-in miles done before the trackday so I dropped the running in oil and filter, plumbed the oil cooler back into the oil lines and filled up with fresh oil.

Got to Blyton, did the briefing and sighting laps and prepared ourselves for the day.

20200831_083327 by Steve Count, on Flickr
That's rwgti's now boosted gti6 sat alongside goldie, the car i've been preparing for the day for the previous month or so.

Unfortunately for me it seems that the coolant radiator just isnt up to the job for what i'm asking of it, i was struggling to keep out of the red zone on the gauge after one quick lap so i'd then have to do a few slower ones to bring it back down to ~90c then another fast lap followed by several cool down ones. Very frustrating and I struggled to get into any sort of swing of things because of it.

I only really got a couple of usable clips from throughout the day, both clips are linked below. It was nice to see that theres very little difference in pace between Goldie and a low boost Lynx setup.

Couple of clips chasing rwgti
Having fun chasing an M2

I had a fun passenger session with Matt from Camber & Combustion in his 306 (thanks again for that Matt!)

Unfortunately for me in the middle of the afternoon I hurt the engine when out on track, it's my own fault for pushing the car so hard when it was hot. Similar symptoms as last time, lots of blow-by, oil being forced out the filler cap and out of the breather. I've done a compression test and all 4 cylinders are down on compression, 1-3 range between 135-150psi, cylinder 4 being 100psi.
I didn't hear any detonation at all during the day so i'm hoping i haven't destroyed any pistons but just broke the rings, i'm also hoping the bores have survived but i'm rarely that lucky Doh Laugh

20200901_175550 by Steve Count, on Flickr

That's the plugs after limping home, they're in order (timing end to left, flywheel to right).

I think it's time to sort out quite a few things that have been niggling me with the car over the last few years and take it into the next stage of development, cooling being one of the key things to focus on.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 6th Sep 2020 at 20:26

Pages (36): first .. 34 35 [36]