displaying posts 826 to 850 of 882

Pages (36): first .. 33 [34] 35 .. last

Author Subject: Goldie the track car
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #826
Why do you have all that fuel out for a cold start?

Leave it set at zero or just a little extra fuel for the cold water temps, and pull the fuel out of the startup table - I reckon you could pull that down to about 75% fuel (Mine is MAP-based load so I can get away with only 50% - I guess yours is TPS based?) for the first row and then smooth the transition a bit.

I know the setup is a lot different but that's mine for the buggy and if anything it starts a bit too keen, it blips itself up before you can get your finger off the button LOL :

Then I have a good slug of fuel to prime the injectors (10ms) set in general engine settings with mine being stood often and needing the twin injectors purging.
What do you have for firing tooth on startup?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 1st Apr 2019 at 19:39
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #827
I took all that fuel out in the water temp compensation as it's the only way i was seeing the wideband come above 10:1 which i thought seemed excessively rich, with it as it is it seemed to stay between 12:0-1 and 13:0-1 on the wideband when i had it running earlier between ~10c and ~30c.

Yeah mine is TPS based.
I'm out tomorrow night but on wednesday i'll do as you said and set the water temp comp fueling back to 0 and make the changes to the start fueling map.
I got a bit confused about the % on the advance compensation bit, i was doing it in increments of 2-3 but it didn't seem to be having too much of an effect until i jumped up considerably. In my mind it would just be how many degrees to advance the timing but the % sign then made me question it.

I'll update you on what firing tooth i've got it set to when i get back out to it on wednesday Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 1st Apr 2019 at 20:24
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #828
There's a checkbox to set it to degrees instead of %, probably in general settings. Mine is.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 1st Apr 2019 at 20:26
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #829
Did a bit more tinkering earlier, found that check box that switches it from advance % to degrees, makes a lot more sense now that it's working in degrees.

20190403_190321 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190403_192336 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The start fuel map needs some tweaking but i'll do that next time i start it up and keep homing in until its much better and then smooth out the transitions. The main thing now is that it's not just sat at 10:1 on the wideband, and adding a little advance in the water temp comp table has made the world of difference, it's almost instantly trying to fire now, a mini blip of the throttle and it catches and now it keeps running once it's properly fired up.

I'm really pleased with the progress so far, thanks a lot for all your help Phill Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 3rd Apr 2019 at 21:25
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #830
Had another hour on the car earlier, the new fuel filter arrived so i fitted that. The old one had seen better days!

20190407_164117 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190407_164047 by Steve Count, on Flickr

After fitting that had another play with the laptop running through a cold start, made a couple of minor tweaks but nothing really worth mentioning. Starting it up now is pretty effortless, just give it a quick tap on the accelerator once it's fired once and it jumps into life.

I noticed a puddle forming under the centre section when i was checking the fuel system for leaks, it seems there is a pinhole somewhere at the rear of the box so that's a job for another day. Should be a nice easy fix though so i'll have a look at that next weekend.

20190407_164923 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I've booked a trackday at Blyton Park on the 20th of April, it will be the cars first outing this year so i'm looking forward to it! Big grin

Goldie the track car.
Posted 7th Apr 2019 at 22:00
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #831
No worries. If it still needs a stab of throttle to start try adding 1 tooth in the 'firing tooth on startup' setting.

Email me!
Posted 7th Apr 2019 at 22:05
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #832
Should i reduce the ignition advance back to '0' in the water temp comp table when i add one on to the firing tooth?

Goldie the track car.
Posted 8th Apr 2019 at 19:33
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #833
Nah, just give it a try and see if it improves things first.

Email me!
Posted 8th Apr 2019 at 19:36
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #834
Blyton park was a successful day out, plenty of track time, nice weather and nothing broke!

Some footage from the day:

Session 1
Session 2
Session 3
Session 4
Session 5
Session 6
Session 7
Session 8

After the successful day at Blyton i decided to take it to the PSCUK organised sprint day at Curbourough.
No major issues to report, by the end of the day the brakes seem to be sticking on a bit, i can only assume it's something to do with the master cylinder as both front calipers seemed to be doing it. I'll have a proper look at it this weekend if i get a spare minute.

Some footage from Curborough:

Session 1
Session 2
Session 3
Session 4
Session 5
Session 6
Session 7
Session 8
Session 9
Session 10
Session 11
Session 12

Goldie the track car.
Posted 25th Apr 2019 at 19:52
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #835
Looks good gets up through the gears quickly is it a standard 6 box?
Posted 25th Apr 2019 at 21:31
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #836
Cheers mate, yeah its a standard 6 box with a 3J plate diff inside.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 25th Apr 2019 at 22:28
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #837
Amazed you weren't wearing a helmet for that?
Posted 26th Apr 2019 at 12:16
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #838
For some reason it's not compulsory to wear a helmet on the sprint days.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 26th Apr 2019 at 12:28
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #839
Just read from the start - Cracking read alot of clever engineering especially like the wishbones etc
May do something similar - how did you do the front arb in the end?
Posted 26th Apr 2019 at 16:39
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #840
Thanks Mike Thumbs up

The front arb is linked to the diagonal wishbone tube via a pair of rose joints. It's far from an ideal setup due to the angles and stresses it will cause but it does the job for now.
If/when i decide to revisit the front end i'll come up with something neater, i'm toying with the idea of going wide track and fitting much wider wheels, so some more custom work will be required then.
Next time i have a front wheel off i'll get a picture to show how it's all currently looking.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 26th Apr 2019 at 17:24
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #841
Little bonus clip from Blyton, it was the last session of the day, only 3 of us left on track so I was messing about seeing what i could get away with. Laugh

Oversteer goodness Big grin

Goldie the track car.
Posted 26th Apr 2019 at 18:59
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #842
Update time:

Decided to have a go at spraying the bonnet myself.
To start with:
20190526_171324 by Steve Count, on Flickr

One layer of primer:
20190526_173706 by Steve Count, on Flickr

After three layers of primer and a bit of wet sanding:
20190526_212740 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Couple of coats of blaze:
20190527_123745 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Couple of coats of 2k lacquer:
20190527_163101 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Could be better but the car won't be entering any show & shine contests so it'll do for what i want it for.

Now for some more interesting bits, a while ago my mate Calvin gave me his spare coilpack unit which he bought for his wifes C4 vts (i think that's what he bought it for anyway LOL)
It seems like a much neater solution than my old setup of a single coil pack on the end of the head with HT leads running to each plug. After a few trial fits it was obvious that some fettling would be required, but the car would start and run without having to change any of the old wiring loom using this new coilpack unit.
The oil filler cutout needed moving along a bit, then several of the old aluminium tabs which were used for the original coils needed chopping off.

20190623_130046 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190623_134902 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Next job:
The last trackday i did at Blyton i was catching quite an amount of oil in the catch tank, enough that some was spitting out of the breather filter so i decided to make a new catch tank and have this one dump any caught fluid back into the block. Fortunately we occasionally have to machine some aluminium extrusions for a customer at work, and collect the odd bit of offcut in the scrap bin. They are basically heatsinks, so i raided the bin and got to work with the welder. Excuse the awful looking welds, i've not done any ally welding for a good couple of years and the welder i used didn't have a footpedal which i'm sure would have helped a bit.

New vs. old:
20190614_161746 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I built four chambers into it, the idea being that the vapour has to travel through three different chambers before it vents out of the breather, hopefully enough time for oil to condense then drain back out of the bottom and into the block.
It's quite a bulky unit (internal volume just over 2 litres) so i had to re-organise a few things in the engine bay.

20190621_203634 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I've decided to remove the laminova for now to see if this helps keep the oil temps down on track too, so now the oil just comes out of the block, through the 30 row air cooler, into the remote filter then back into the engine to do it's job. Removing this created some space behind the top of the radiator so the remote oil filter was moved here and the oil lines have been shortened to suit.
The lack of the laminova also meant that i could get a new top hose with a more direct route to the thermostat housing. After a few hours searching for a suitable hose (long enough but with a 90* bend at one end) i found a gates item which seems to do the job nicely after a little trimming at each end.
I'm really pleased that i've now got several less hose joins in the system as it means theres much less chance of dropping any fluids on the nordschleife in the future, something that scares the hell out of me!
I was also able to move the air filter down below the inlet manifold to free up a significant amount of space. It's not ideal that it will be sucking in warm air from the radiator but it'll be going through an overkill intercooler before reaching the engine so hopefully it won't affect things too much, if it does then i'll have to sort out a new cold air feed to it.

20190621_203713 by Steve Count, on Flickr

And here it is as it stands now, ready for pugfest this coming weekend then a trackday at Cadwell the following week. Big grin

20190623_135740 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Goldie the track car.
Posted 25th Jun 2019 at 20:13
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #843
Fantastic work Steve Thumbs up ......keep the fantastic updates coming m8 Smile
Posted 2nd Jul 2019 at 06:19
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #844
Cadwell came and went. Before i went my speedo had stopped working. I removed the vss to find this:

20190703_190359 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Not sure how it happened but i pulled another vss out of a spare box, put it in and now everything is fine again.

Had a pretty good day at Cadwell, there was some very quick cars there.

20190704_092810 by Steve Count, on Flickr

48232358162_5499202a72_o by Steve Count, on Flickr

48232358942_0e76272079_o by Steve Count, on Flickr

My cousin got a few drive by videos during the day which i'll link below, and i got a few in-car videos too, links below.
Ryan (pug_306) came later on in the afternoon so I took him out for some passenger laps, he'd booked the evening trackday so later on i grabbed a passenger session with him to compare our different supercharger setups. His definitely seems to have a lot more 'go' up near the limiter and his power delivery is super smooth.

Drive-by 1
Drive-by 2
Drive-by 3

Trying to keep up with an Exige
Trying to keep up with a GTR
Trying to keep up with a pair of Evo's
Playing with a 450bhp Impreza
Ryan's passenger session

The car ran pretty well throughout the day, the oil got up to 125-130c but didnt get any higher throughout the day (It was a pretty hot day). I'm still having issues with losing considerable amounts of oil out the breather system, so i think it's time to do a compression test when i get a spare minute and see if anything is obviously wrong.

20190704_182853 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Goldie the track car.
Posted 11th Jul 2019 at 21:04
t3ora

Regular

Post #845
Seen your car at pug fest,but never see it run up the hill
And boy do you run some caster

Road/track car coming together slowly
Posted 11th Jul 2019 at 21:08
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #846
t3ora wrote:

Yeah, i went to get some run passes in the morning but they'd all sold or been allocated. Checked back throughout the day and had no luck getting any. I'll have to pre-book some next year.

Just a little Laugh

Goldie the track car.
Posted 11th Jul 2019 at 21:11
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #847
Did a compression test, think i've found the issue Laugh

Goldie compression test results July 2019 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I reckon cylinder 4's poor results are from the piston rings not sealing all that well because the compression shot up after running the tests with 5ml of oil squirted into the cylinder. Cylinder 1 picked up a little extra compression with the oil but not a whole lot, so my guess would be burned valves maybe?
Either way i think the easiest route for me right now is to source a replacement engine and get that stuck in there as the 'ring trip is coming in a few weeks.
There's a few little niggly bits i can fettle whilst the engine and 'box are out too so it's not all bad.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th Jul 2019 at 23:20
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #848
Sad to see. Almost identical to my mates 6 engine on Thursday. Was filling 1ltr catch can after 3 laps of Combe. Interested to see what you find. These engines are getting harder to find now so I’ll rebuild his one but he’s in no rush
Posted 14th Jul 2019 at 13:12
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #849
prism7guy wrote:
t3ora wrote:

Yeah, i went to get some run passes in the morning but they'd all sold or been allocated. Checked back throughout the day and had no luck getting any. I'll have to pre-book some next year.

Just a little Laugh

Sadly I was right ...I told loads of people on FB this would happen and they said no there’s Aways some Thumbs down
Gutted for you
Posted 22nd Jul 2019 at 20:32
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #850
Time for a bit of an update. Had a pretty busy couple of months with the car.

Bought another engine from Ryan, top service and speedy delivery as always. Thumbs up
20190724_180714 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Naturally it ended up in the house whilst i faffed about with it Doh Laugh
20190730_215450 by Steve Count, on Flickr

End float was well within tolerance so the thrust bearings stayed in.
20190801_222817 by Steve Count, on Flickr

New big end and main shells were used, the old ones didnt look bad but i decided whilst it was apart i might aswell treat it as it's not going to have an easy life.
20190802_160944 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Not shown in the photos but i used graphogen on any surfaces which would involve movement.

Cleaned all the old oil out of the sump.
20190802_195112 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Going back together.
20190802_194140 by Steve Count, on Flickr

New water pump and cambelt kit were fitted.
20190803_132019 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I didn't take any pictures but all 16 hydraulic lifters were removed, stripped down, cleaned in parts cleaner, built back up with new oil to lubricate them then graphogen used on the sides and top face.
All new gaskets and seals were used throughout.

Out with the old, in with the new.
20190810_182950 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190810_182956 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Since everything was apart i'd decided to fettle several other things that i've not been too happy with recently.
One of these items was the aux belt tensioner pulley, the bearing was offset from the centreline of where the belt sat previously, so the bearings were wearing out quicker than they should. I re designed the pulley and machined a couple of fresh ones, hopefully they'll last much longer now.
20190816_171513 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I also took the opportunity to strip some more wires from the standard loom which i no longer need now that the car runs on the DTA.
20190811_195342 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The old design for clamping the rear link of the wishbone to the subframe used m8 capscrews, whilst i didn't snap any i was always conscious that there was a lot of forces acting on them at times. The last thing i wanted was to have one let go and cause an accident, especially on the Nurburgring where i'd be financially liable for any damages, not only to my car and barriers, but other peoples cars if i was at fault. With that in mind i decided to upgrade to m10 capscrews.
Long story short a lot of time was spent re-machining some of the old items, and creating some new ones from scratch, way more time than the pictures would imply.
20190817_132926 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Another job on the list was to move the oil cooler in an attempt to get more airflow through it and keep the oil cooler than it has ran in the past.
To start with i decided to move the radiator fans behind the radiator, so i flipped the blades and fastened them behind the radiator. Next up i tried to switch the wires in the superseal connectors to make them spin the opposite direction and make them 'suckers'. This failed miserably since i didn't have the correct tool for removing the pins from the connectors. In the end i decided to stop being tight and bought all new parts to make new sub-looms which run from the relays and earth point to the fans. Tried to do a semi-professional job, quite pleased with the outcome. Think i may make an entirely new engine bay loom eventually similar to this.
20190819_185919 by Steve Count, on Flickr

With the fans behind the radiator i could then move the intercooler closer to the radiator.
20190819_190444 by Steve Count, on Flickr

This then created enough space to fit the oil cooler infront of the intercooler.
20190821_193738 by Steve Count, on Flickr

With things starting to take shape i could start making the new oil lines. Another really time consuming process.
20190821_191615 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Since everything has moved the old cooling shrouds were somewhat redundant. I ordered a sheet of aluminium and when it arrived set about designing and making new shrouds. The idea being that any air that comes through the grille has no other option than to go through the coolers. Fingers crossed they work as these took a couple of weekends and most weekday evenings LOL
20190825_130214 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190825_144612 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190831_165357 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190829_180734 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190831_181357 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190901_162414 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190903_193937 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20190904_175024 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The foglight holes currently look a bit bare, i've ordered some ducting hose to fit and help direct fresh air to the brakes. They should arrive next week.

The old rear pads were pretty worn out, replaced these with another set of yellow stuff. Not the best things out there but it's what i've always had fitted to the back and never had an issue with them so far, the rears barely do anything anyway. Plus they're cheap! Laugh
20190906_181815 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The old Nankang's did me proud but they were no longer road legal, something i had to address before spending a week driving around in germany. After many hours pondering i decided to give a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ03G's a try. I've always used 195/50/15 in the past but the DZ03G's only come in soft in that size. I'd kill them in no time so they weren't really an option, in the end i went for 205/50/15 as they can come in medium compound, so much better for trackday and occasional road use. I kept the old Nankangs as theres another day or two in them so i'll just source another set of wheels and use them for messing about with at a trackday.
20190830_164729 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Set the tracking, i couldn't remember what i set it to last time, i remember it wasn't parallel but not far off so i opted for 5 minutes of toe in.
20190906_180505 by Steve Count, on Flickr

With the new tyres on it was time to see what sort of clearances i was working with. o/s/r seemed ok under full droop.
20190906_182725 by Steve Count, on Flickr

n/s/f with a bit of compression on the other hand... Doh
20190907_171735 by Steve Count, on Flickr

After a bit of fettling with the angle grinder trimming the wing where the old tyres used to catch, and some of the inner lip on the bumper things improved. Next step was to undo the two bolts that hold the lower front part of the wing and yank the wing out as much as i could making it a budget dimma, this has made heaps more clearance for the tyre now. It'll hit the bumper way before it can hit the wing. More on this in a minute.
20190907_175710 by Steve Count, on Flickr

When i went round to the o/s/f to start checking clearance i noticed that the main spring had snapped.
20190907_181558 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Doing a bit of research on here it seems that the springs that came on the kw v2's were as follows:
Helper : 60mm id, 80mm long, 20N/mm.
Main : 60mm id, 150mm long, 60N/mm (~345lbs/inch).

Even under full droop my helpers were fully compressed and helped give some preload on the main springs to keep a sensible ride height allowing the car to be used on the street. (The road i live on is peppered with speed bumps, the bain of my life).
Tomorrow's job is to get the dampers off and measure things up as i suspect i may be able to tweak the top hats and spring platforms and enable them to accept 2.25" springs, which are way more readily available and less than half the price of the metric equivalents.
Assuming i'm right in thinking this is a possibility then i'll order a pair of new springs, i reckon i'll go for 8" long 400lb springs and see how i get on with them. This should also help reduce the chance of tyre contact on the bumper/wing as mentioned previously.
I'll send the dampers off over winter to have them serviced and re valved to suit stiffer springs, unfortunately i'm not going to have time to get that done as i'm taking goldie over to the nurburgring next weekend for a week of fun! Big grin

Goldie the track car.
Posted 8th Sep 2019 at 00:18

Pages (36): first .. 33 [34] 35 .. last