displaying posts 801 to 825 of 882

Pages (36): first .. 32 [33] 34 .. last

Author Subject: Goldie the track car
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #801
Well done up updating all the photos etc is a cracking read just shame photobucket has killed off a lot of build like this for the rest of us to read
Posted 13th Dec 2017 at 20:57
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #802
Great work as always take my hat off to you great build and overcoming problems as they arrive, at the Nurburgring I didn’t think caged cars were allowed on normal days anymore was it an organised day?

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 17th Dec 2017 at 10:41
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #803
quote:
quote:
[quote="tvrfan007"]I gotta get me a look at this at some point. Whether I come to a track day to have a nose or we go to the same day I needs to look at this.

I'm hoping to get a few trackdays in next year, i'll put them up in the meets section as and when i book them if you want to try and join in at the same day. Thumbs up

[quote="superchargedblack1997gti6"]Great work as always take my hat off to you great build and overcoming problems as they arrive, at the Nurburgring I didn’t think caged cars were allowed on normal days anymore was it an organised day?

Thanks mate. I've not been on an organised day there yet, i'd heard that they were cracking down on roll cages years ago which is why i fitted the padding. To be honest there's that many cars trying to get on track that they don't really seem to check the cars unless there is something very obviously wrong with it. There's always plenty of caged and much more track focused cars there whenever i've been and they get on no problem. The only time i've witnessed people not being allowed on is when they were sat in the car parks with loud exhausts revving them needlessly.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th Dec 2017 at 16:04
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #804
quote:
[quote="tvrfan007"]I gotta get me a look at this at some point. Whether I come to a track day to have a nose or we go to the same day I needs to look at this.

I'm hoping to get a few trackdays in next year, i'll put them up in the meets section as and when i book them if you want to try and join in at the same day. Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th Dec 2017 at 16:05
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #805
quote:
[quote="superchargedblack1997gti6"]Great work as always take my hat off to you great build and overcoming problems as they arrive, at the Nurburgring I didn’t think caged cars were allowed on normal days anymore was it an organised day?

Thanks mate. I've not been on an organised day there yet, i'd heard that they were cracking down on roll cages years ago which is why i fitted the padding. To be honest there's that many cars trying to get on track that they don't really seem to check the cars unless there is something very obviously wrong with it. There's always plenty of caged and much more track focused cars there whenever i've been and they get on no problem. The only time i've witnessed people not being allowed on is when they were sat in the car parks with loud exhausts revving them needlessly.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th Dec 2017 at 16:05
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #806
Time for an update i guess.

I finally pulled my finger out and booked a trackday on the Nordschleife. I want the car to perform well this year and have no last minute rushes like i did last year, so i've done almost everything this last couple of months.

First off, i've been having random fuelling, sometimes running lean, others rich. I've mentioned it before and changed a few things, i've now replaced the only remaining possible things which could be giving the ecu dodgy readings.

New throttle position sensor:
IMG_0432 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_0433 by Steve Count, on Flickr

New coolant temperature sensor:
IMG_0434 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I've also had the injectors sent off to be cleaned and flow tested. A couple were 5cc/min down but after cleaning all are balanced and flowing what they should be.

Next up, i've wanted to improve the boost pipework between the intercooler and throttle body for some time, the old route was as follows:
IMG_0422 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_0423 by Steve Count, on Flickr

After a bit of purchasing on ebay i had a few new silicon and ally bits, all needed fettling to suit what i wanted.
The ally bend that i wanted to use was too long to fit, so i marked it where it needed cutting down.
IMG_0461 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Cutting it would be straight forward enough but then i'd lose the rolled bead which would help hold the silicon hoses on, not ideal when dealing with boost. There were several options to have a bead, in the end i opted for making my own rolling tool, i know there are plenty out there which can be bought but i'm from yorkshire and therefore parting with cash has to be fully justified! Laugh
A few extra hours at work and a few scrap bins raided i ended up with this:
IMG_0488 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Tested on an offcut, the left end is as it arrived from ebay, the right side is what my tool did.
IMG_0489 by Steve Count, on Flickr

That'll do for me, so on to my bend:
IMG_0570 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_0572 by Steve Count, on Flickr

And fitted:
IMG_0575 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Much more direct route now, quite pleased with the outcome.

One other thing i've done is swapped out the pulley on the supercharger for a 15% smaller one. I'm not expecting huge gains but thought i may aswell go for it since the setup has proven generally reliable over the last year, and i'm booked in for a remap on the 29th of March so may aswell take advantage of the situation.
IMG_0576 by Steve Count, on Flickr

That's about it for now, i'll change the engine oil as soon as opie oils have a decent offer on and she'll be good to go.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 25th Feb 2018 at 20:20
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #807
Magnificent rolled beading Sir, I doff my cap to you..
Posted 25th Feb 2018 at 21:13
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #808
Awesome ghetto rolling tool!

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 26th Feb 2018 at 08:16
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #809
Mapping done.

IMG_0749 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_0759 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_0761 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The green lines are the boost and power curve from the initial mapping session a couple of years ago, quite clever how they we're saved then the new setup overlaid over to show the difference.

Quick video of a power run for anyone that's interested.
Clicky

Goldie the track car.
Posted 29th Mar 2018 at 16:14
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #810
Loving the flame pop at the end

Posted 29th Mar 2018 at 18:26
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #811
Me too Love Big grin

IMG_0750 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Goldie the track car.
Posted 29th Mar 2018 at 23:15
SmartyC

Regular

Post #812
Nice! Lookinig forward to seeing this at Prescott!

Smarty

My lil toy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/martincurtisphotography/sets/72157640014140786/
Posted 19th Apr 2018 at 08:05
SmartyC

Regular

Post #813
I'm going to have to sit and catch up on this whole post....!

Yes

Smarty

My lil toy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/martincurtisphotography/sets/72157640014140786/
Posted 19th Apr 2018 at 08:09
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #814
Small update time:

Broke the alternator again. Seems that trying to run the epas and everything else off this little one was too much for it as it's not the first time it's happened, so i've decided to revert back to the original one.

IMG_0850 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_0849 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Of course nothing is ever straight forward so i needed to machine some new brackets up to mount the alternator to the sump, made trickier by needing it low enough so the belt doesn't rub on the auto tensioner but not too low that it hits the front cross member.
After a bit of messing about i'd figured out what was needed and made a template out of some scrap mdf, once i was happy with that i drew it up in cad with the amendments then went in to work and milled up the profiles and made the relevant spacers and top hat bushes to suit the lugs on the sump.

IMG_1034 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_0915 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_1036 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_1038 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_1054 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Seems to be running alright again now. Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 27th May 2018 at 14:31
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #815
Brilliant work love seeing custom bits like this
Posted 27th May 2018 at 15:15
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #816
Small update time.

I was occasionally struggling to select gear at random when at high revs, it basically felt like i was being locked out of the gear. I wasn't sure whether it was the gearbox, clutch or clutch cable causing the issue as the satchshift all appeared to be in order with no loose nuts/bolts etc.
I tried sourcing a known good gearbox but didn't have much luck so decided to bite the bullet and just replace the clutch for a new valeo unit and put on a spare cable that i usually take to trackdays as my backup one.
Once the 'box was off the bellhousing showed signs of oil being in there, after taking the flywheel off i suspect the crank seal may have been weeping, but no evidence of the two strips leaking that are also reasonably common leaking points from what i gathered reading on here.

IMG_1134 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I went in to work and made a seal fitting tool to locate the seal 1.5mm back from the block face.

IMG_1139 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Luckily i already had a spare crank seal sat in a box so in that went, then flywheel back on, new clutch on then gearbox back on. I always forget what awkward buggers these gearboxes are to fit.
Anyway, since fitting the new clutch the car has performed flawlessly so it was all worth the effort.

I've also fitted a bonnet badge since the front end looked daft before, the bonnet had the cut out for a badge and the grille still had the recess. Made a couple of brackets out of some spare ally flat and bent them to the right angles, then taped the badge in place whilst i laid some resin and carbon/kevlar over them to secure them.
I forgot to get an after picture but here's a couple from mid-way through.

IMG_1062 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_1063 by Steve Count, on Flickr

After that I tested out some snow foam that a mate gave me, gave it a quick wash and got it ready for pugfest.

IMG_1104 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_1168 by Steve Count, on Flickr
Safety first Laugh

Did four runs up the hill at Pugfest, I forgot my GoPro so just stuck my phone to the windscreen. Here's the fourth run up the hill, still time to be shaved off but I wasn't really chasing times and had a passenger and road tyres fitted.
Video clicky

Happy with the car for now, taking it to the 'ring in a couple of weeks Hyper

Goldie the track car.
Posted 8th Jul 2018 at 18:12
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #817
Took goldie to the Nurburgring a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty warm there so we struggled with temp's a bit. The first evening of TF the coolant gauge reached the red marker before i decided to back off and cool down for the rest of the lap.
With that in mind the number plate was removed to reveal the previous cut outs that i did last year to air with air getting to the radiator.

IMG_1241 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The polyurethane coupler on the supercharger also decided it had had enough. Luckily i carry spares so fitted the new one at the end of the evening ready for the next day.

IMG_1229 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The next evening we headed back down to TF, and once again i managed to get the needle into the red, so backed off and called it a day. The next step was to buy a saw and chop out the middle section of the bumper, apply a bit of duct tape to give the air a slightly smoother path through the bumper and also remove the grille. Behind the grille is part of an aluminium shroud which i'd made to basically catch any air which went up and try to force it through the radiator by boxing it in, but with the grille removed i reshaped it to face upwards and make use of the extra air flow provided by having no grille in place.

IMG_1253 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The next night i went out and everything had paid off, the coolant needle would only get up to around 100c, which is hotter than i'd have liked but nothing i can't live with. In fairness the outside temperature was reading low-mid 30's which was half the battle.

I managed to lose a window going down foxhole too, there was no warning just a wobble noise then it disappeared. I managed to retrieve it later on, and was surprised how well it fared considering it must have come out somewhere in the region of 125mph and i watched a tractor drive over it too Laugh

IMG_1244 by Steve Count, on Flickr

IMG_1246 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The next day i spent a couple of hours looking for a replacement piece of plastic. It seems most Germans like to fit windows with registered numbers, and wanted mega money and several weeks wait for some to be made but eventually i discovered a plastic sheet wholesaler type place about 30 mins away. I gave the guy my broken window, he drew round it and cut it to size/shape for me for a very reasonable 30 euros.

IMG_1254 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Eventually the trackday came around, goldie seemed to attract a fair amount of attention considering the carpark was full of all sorts of exotica from Ferrari's to GT3RS' to M3's and even a Nascar!

IMG_1299 by Steve Count, on Flickr

racetracker_4883779_72552 by Steve Count, on Flickr

racetracker_4902718_72553 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Unfortunately the fun had to end at some point though

IMG_1308 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I joined the Bongard club Doh
Upon inspection the throttle cable had started to fray where it comes out of the outer sheath by the pedal, then when i went for a heel-toe downshift it decided to jam up and hold the throttle wide open. It happened as i blipped the throttle down-changing to 5th on a pretty fast section which wasn't ideal, but somehow i managed to keep it on the track and park it safely out of the way. Scared the crap out of me though! Laugh

Video of said incident.

And for those who are interested, here's my quickest lap of the trip.
8:07 BTG Big grin

That's about it for now, got plenty of little niggles on the car that need sorting, and hopefully do something proper with the cooling setup so i don't have the same issues in the future.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 8th Aug 2018 at 18:10
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #818
Time for another update I guess.

My mate asked if I fancied doing a trackday at Blyton park on the 30th of December, which I did but we held off from booking until a few days before as neither of us were that bothered about going if rain was the forecast. Unfortunately it was fully booked by the time we wanted to book our place but I had already decided to myself that I really wanted to go and in preparation i'd started knocking up a better heater to help solve the windscreen demisting issues. I also replaced the throttle cable, using a genuine one instead of a long bike brake cable.

20181228_132818 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20181228_143621_001 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20181228_144858 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20181229_171334 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20181229_171641 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20181229_173701 by Steve Count, on Flickr

20181229_174327 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I made use of a cheap heater matrix that i'd picked up from a kit car show years ago. The setup is only relatively temporary until i get the time and equipment to make something much nicer out of carbon fibre. I've already made the moulds for that but that's a story for a different day.
This setup works remarkably well even if it looks hideous Laugh

With the heater setup fitted the night before the trackday I packed the spare wheels and tools etc ready for the next day. I turned up to Blyton in time for the drivers briefing and asked the organisers if there was any chance I could have a place if anyone didn't show up or broke their cars. It turned out that there had been an online issue and it was actually overbooked by 6 people and i was the 4th person to turn up on the day and ask for a place Doh
Not deterred I hung around all morning watching everyone go round, the track was wet and looked very slippery. Cars that impressed me the most were a tasty old Ford, an Evo, an Exige, a supercharged MR2 and a 106. Dinner time came round so I asked the organiser if there was any chance i'd be able to join in the fun in the afternoon, he said it now looked likely and to ask again at the end of dinner. With that i set about swapping over to the semi-slicks and emptying the car.
Dinnertime ended and I was able to book myself on. Result! Big grin

20181230_155512 by Steve Count, on Flickr

There was only really a couple of hours of usable time in the afternoon with darkness creeping in. The track was still trying to dry out, at first the dry line was a little greasy but that improved by the end of the afternoon, but once you went off the dry line it was like driving on ice.

Here's a compilation of the best bits from the afternoon. Clicky

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th Jan 2019 at 20:01
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #819
I've been doing a bit of tinkering the last few days again getting the car ready for the year ahead.

The polyurethane supercharger couplers that i've been making all seem to be failing in the same way, so i've decided to try making a couple out of abs to see if they prove to be more durable.
20190328_125953 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The dowels are also ovaling the holes in the aluminium parts of the coupler, then coming out which i suspect is part of why the polyurethane part was cracking. I'm currently using the spare pair of aluminium couplers on the car so the originals had the dowel holes re-drilled undersize so the new dowels can be pressed in and hopefully stay put.
20190328_130008 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Next up i drained all the old oil, new filter and fresh oil. Takes more than 5 litres to fill everything back up from empty these days. I'm also moving from the ATE typ 200 stuff that gsf sells to Motul RBF660. I managed to boil the old fluid last year on the 'ring when stuck behind someone and using the brakes slightly more than i normally would, so hopefully this will help combat that issue in the future.
20190328_131517 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I also replaced the big Bosch fuel filter that sits between the high pressure pump and the rail but i didn't get any pictures of that. Still on the list is the smaller filter that sits between the tank and the lift pump, its just a cheap clear plastic one which i forgot about until i saw it when doing the bigger one. It's seen better days so that will be replaced once the new one arrives in the post next week.

When draining the oil coolers i had the bumper off and noticed that i've almost ripped the bumper off the height setting bit since the tyre occasionally rubs the bumper. I cleaned down the areas around the mounting points and lathered them up with some epoxy resin, hopefully they'll hold together a bit longer now.
20190329_143809 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The braided oil line has been chaffing on the header tank a little too, it's worn a small notch into the corner so i've cut a bit of rubber hose and slid it over the braided hose and tie wrapped it in place to offer a bit of protection to the header tank.
20190329_183112 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The volt meter i fitted last year was just bodged in place by a bit of duct tape and bent ally sheet, i decided to make the whole affair a bit better but didn't get round to fitting it as i was waiting for the paint to dry, but basically it's just a piece of aluminium with a hole cut in it for the gauge that will self tapper to the bottom centre part of the dash. I'll get a photo of it once it's fitted.

The last thing i did was tweak the cold start settings in the S40, it really doesn't like to stay running immediately after starting, i suspect it was heavily over fueling as it stinks and chucks loads of black crap out of the exhaust, and the wideband sits at 10 which is as rich as it will read, but i'm not sure if this isnt helped by the fact that it isn't up to temperature itself which could throw off the reading slightly. It seems slightly better now i've leaned it out slightly, and once the coolant is above 30c the wideband tells me it's around 12:1 and the idle seems more stable. Still some tweaks to do to get it better but it's a start for now.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 29th Mar 2019 at 22:26
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #820
Crank a bit more advance in when it's cold too, usually helps a lot.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 30th Mar 2019 at 02:03
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #821
Yeah i wanted to do that but it didn't jump out at me how to tweak the advance for cold starts like the fuel enrichment map did. I'll get the laptop back out one evening this week if i get chance and see what i can find.
I don't think it helps that the little Powervamp is on it's last legs so i suspect the spark isn't as strong as it could be when cranking over too, it starts so much easier when i've got the jump leads on to a decent battery.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 31st Mar 2019 at 19:39
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #822
Tweak the advance in the water compensation tables up to about 25c - the water temp will be up there in 10-20 seconds so it'll never really affect driving it in anger.

Are you using water temp fuel compensation or the fuel/turns startup map?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 31st Mar 2019 at 20:35
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #823
Ahh, thanks for that, i'll give that a try and get back to you. I was tweaking the fuel/turns startup map.
What do you reckon, just do it in 2-3 degree increments until it idles nicely?

Goldie the track car.
Posted 31st Mar 2019 at 21:32
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #824
Yes, a few degrees makes a big difference. What's your fuel/turns map look like?

Email me!
Posted 31st Mar 2019 at 22:13
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #825
Right, had another hour on the car tonight.

The original start fuelling map looked like this:
20190401_174258 by Steve Count, on Flickr

And the water temp compensation map looked like this:
20190401_174316 by Steve Count, on Flickr

This is how the start fuelling map looks now after a bit of tweaking the other day:
20190401_170041 by Steve Count, on Flickr

It was struggling to start still, so i played with the water temp compensation map a bit, giving some advance seemed to improve it a little as expected.

It was occasionally firing but not to the stage of getting started, then the battery decided it had had enough. I got the jump leads out to a proper battery and it cranked much faster and similar happened, with the occasional fire then nothing.

I decided to pull the plugs and they were pretty wet and carboned up, so i put a fresh set in.
The old plugs were gapped to 0.8mm, and the new ones i put in were the same.
20190401_172438 by Steve Count, on Flickr

With the new plugs in it started so much easier, so i kept tweaking the water temp compensation table and ended up with this:
20190401_173919 by Steve Count, on Flickr

It seemed happy to idle at that but if i tap the accelerator slightly it seems to hesitate a little before revving up.

I got the wideband reading to lean out to around 12-13 compared to how it was from the cold start (11c when first started, i called it a day at 30c as it seems happy to run from then onwards)
Here is the new volt meter gauge holder showing the wideband readout when the coolant had got to ~28c from memory.
20190401_173924 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Goldie the track car.
Posted 1st Apr 2019 at 18:35

Pages (36): first .. 32 [33] 34 .. last