displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: Over heating but enough coolant in! Advice please.
ritchie111

Post #1
Hi.
Went out today in my 2000 v reg 6 for the 1st time in about a week, after a short run the temprature decided to go up rather quick,(no loss in the cars performance) I managed to get back home and let the cars temp go up and up until it went into the red hoping that the fans would kick in but no fans kicked in? anyway there is enough water in the system, there is no water in the oil, the heater were blowing hot air,the pipes were preasurised and quite hard to squeeze. Has anyone had these symptoms before? If so how was it fixed. I would also like to know where the switches are for the 2 fans that are on the front of the radiator please.

Posted 15th Jan 2011 at 06:48
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
Airlock by the sounds of it. Bleed the coolant and see if it's okay afterwards.

Rich
Posted 15th Jan 2011 at 06:48
ritchie111

Post #3
Rich E wrote:
Airlock by the sounds of it. Bleed the coolant and see if it's okay afterwards.

Thanks Rich for the fast reply Wink I did hear the heater matric rumbling away ready to explode.
Is the correct order of bleeding as follows thermostat bleed valve 1st, matrics second, and radiator 3rd? or does it not matter which way?

Posted 15th Jan 2011 at 06:51
andy306gti

Regular

Post #4
If the fans aren't working its possible that its overheated at some point and the Head gasket has gone. In which case that might explain the pressurised pipes, though depends on how pressurised. Definitely try bleeding first though.
Posted 15th Jan 2011 at 06:52
andy306gti

Regular

Post #5
I follow the guide on this page for bleeding

Rad fitting

It's always worked for me

good luck
Posted 15th Jan 2011 at 06:56
ritchie111

Post #6
andy306gti wrote:
I follow the guide on this page for bleeding

Rad fitting

It's always worked for me

good luck

Thanks Andy Wink

Posted 15th Jan 2011 at 07:09
ritchie111

Post #7
Update 1.
I followed the instructions regarding bleeding the system, there was alot of brown water come from the heater matrix bleed valve area, eventually i got that to come through clear then i tightened the valve, however the temp it still going up but the heaters are blowing cold air now. Any ideas? Or could it just need more bleeding?

Posted 18th Jan 2011 at 00:03
ritchie111

Post #8
Update 2.
I managed to get the air from the system, The heaters are now blowing hot air again and the water is comming through the 3 bleeds points ok so thats a good sign i guess. But now i have found that the cooling fans on the front of the radiatior are not working, I have pulled the brown plug from the thermostat housing(found this info on the forumSmile ) but the fans still does not come on however i can hear a click when i unplug the brown connector and another when i plug it in again, is there any relays or fuses anywhere that could be causing the fans not to work?
This might be a daft question but next to the clock the temp reading does not work would that make any differance to anything along the cooling system side of things or is that just for an outside reading of the temp?

Posted 18th Jan 2011 at 00:03
gota6again

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
The relays are under the front grill slam panel thing, 10mm bolt holds it on under the pug badge plus 3 plastic grommet type things on the slam panel.

The actual relays are in the triangle shaped box, 2 green which are the fans and a black one which is the fan controller iirc.

Posted 17th Jan 2011 at 02:08
ritchie111

Post #10
Thanks for the reply gota6again Smile
Update3. Removed the grill and found the 3 relays, Looking from the front of the car the left fan had a bad conection into the relay Once that was fixed the left fan worked fine Smile and kicked in at 107 degrees which i think is High speed ?. The relay for the right fan is working but the fan is not any ideas please? Plus how can i check to see if the black relay is working ?

Posted 18th Jan 2011 at 00:06
ritchie111

Post #11
Are both fans supposed to come on together ?

Posted 18th Jan 2011 at 05:55
alpha1ba

Regular

Post #12
Looking head on at the car the left fan is for the air-con. I recently had same prob and found it to be the thermostat sensor

Never argue with an idiot because they will bring you down to their level and beat you every time with experience!
Posted 18th Jan 2011 at 07:06
ritchie111

Post #13
Update 4.
Looking from the front of the car towards the engine.
Left fan works on fast speed and kicks in a 107'C
Right fan now works but only on fast speed and as soon as ignition is switched on Confused Any ideas please?.

Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 06:52
ritchie111

Post #14
Anyone?

Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 06:52
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
could be lack of air flow through the front bumper Huh?

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 07:02
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Both of my fans come on together at low speed which is 97 degrees. Check the other fan relay take it out and check the resistance using a multimeter.

And the only other thing it could be is the thermostat may not be opening fully so could be worth a check if all else fails.

Undo the stat housing take the thermostat out boil at jug of water from the kettle put the stat into the jug and see if she opens

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 21st Jan 2011 at 19:06