displaying posts 1 to 1 of 1

Author Subject: Infinity Front door speakers fitted with pictures
sixysix

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi all,
After doing the rear shelves last month, I finally got round to fitting the Infinity 165mm speakers into the front doors.

Being a phase 1, the doorcards are different to the later phases so it's not quite so easy to just cut the plastic around the speaker hole completely as the grille won't have anything to attach to upon refitting. here's what I did...

First off, remove doorcard, pretty straight forward this, remove mirror inner cover, door handle surround, lock button, trim around switches, pop window switches out and disconect the wiring.
In the pull handle there are two 8mm bolts on the under side and one10mm bolt at the front underneath a little plastic cover that needs popping off as well. Tug on the handle as it is tight and it will come away from the doorcard.
There are alo three screws at the bottom of the card which screw through the door pocket.
Then just pop off the clips and slide the doorcard up and out.

So the infinity's I have are not whopping huge speakers by any standard but mods are needed mainly due to the depth (61mm) and the magnet being too large to fit through the speaker hole in the doorcard.
The door card problem is pretty simple.

Before...

And after...

I used a dremel cutting tool to make it easier as I needed to trim off most the plastic just inside where the bolts go through to secure to the door.

I am pretty sure the mounting depth as standard is 57mm and as the depth of the speakers are 61mm, I needed a spacer of some kind.

I bought some pre made MDF 165mm spacers but they were not good enough and the fit was poor.

I cut some of my own rings as well about 4mm thick but was unsure if these would work very well.

I then had a brain wave (Does not happen too often). I had a set of standard front speakers sitting here ready to go in the bin.
The standard Pug speakers have a plastic ring stuck around the edge of the speaker.
Obviously, this will fit snug in the doorcard and it's around 4mm deep! Big grin
Pry the plastic ring off carefully as it is glued on, and hey presto!, a spacer ready made Wink

I was worried about the plastic causing vibration, so I wrapped each side in some dynamat like sound dampening material...

And to show it fits...

Pop the speaker in...

And standard cover...

All looking good for fitting so far Smile

I had some accoustic carpet left from when I did the rear shelf and looked at the door speaker grilles and thought Hmm

Cut some cloth to size...

And glue down onto the very edge of the grill...

I next went about dampening the doors as I had a bit of buzz and rattle from the doors when the volume was turned up and it's been bugging me for a while now.

Did not use Dynamat. I know it's good but at a cost. I went for similar stuff which is pretty descent and is way cheaper than the branded alternative.

Did what I could of the inner door skin. Gave it all a good clean,then apply the deadening...

Then onto the outer door skin, Cut, shape, and cut out any holes for bolts, screws, poppers ect..

I used a hair dryer while appling the material as it gets tacky when warm and staicks to the surface much better Smile

Pop the door card back on and spacer and speaker fitted...

And grille to finish off...

Then the fun part, turn stereo on and no sound Cry Laugh my ass off

My innitial thought was one of the front speakers were shorting on the door metal so took out the passenger side speaker first and found the negative terminal crimp had come loose Roll eyes

Checked and refitted and all speakers ran fine.
Sounds very nice and I only finished yesterday, so they should get better with some use.
All buzzing and rattles have also gone, well from the doors anyway LOL

I am really preased with it and think it was all worth the effort Smile

My Pugrun 2007/2009 video clips
Take a look

Pugrun 2007...Lose yourself Laugh

Xbox Live ID: Marksixysix (Forza 3, Forza 4 PES 2010, COD 6/MW2, WRC 2010).

PSN ID: MarkSixysix ( DiRT 3 GT5, NFS:Hot pursuit).

P1 Diablo red 6 gone but not forgotten Sad
Posted 11th Jan 2011 at 20:37