displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Cat troubles
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #1
Hello

i have been having some problems with my cat blowing when its hot. i took it off yesterday but couldent find any holes etc and it looked like it wasnt it that bad condition so i put it back on using some fire putty and it sounded alright but when it got hot it started blowing again and by then i had ran out of patience and day light.

One thing i did notice was that the springs that are used to keep tension against the manifold wernt under that much compression as the nut was hitting the shoulder on the bolt, how much should they be compressed? as i think it could be blowing from there.

Cheers all
Posted 4th Jan 2011 at 20:34
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
I'd just buy a new fire-ring kit from a pug dealer, make sure your bottom engine mount isn't floppy.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Jan 2011 at 20:52
ravemercer

Regular

Post #3
Stick it in a wheelie bin.
Posted 4th Jan 2011 at 22:24
matt.gti6

Regular

Post #4
I'm having this problem since having a new exhaust, cat and genuine peugeot fire ring kit fitted.

With my previous standard system there was no blowing at all... I am thinking that the most likely causes are:

- peugoet giving me the wrong fitting kit
- the new pattern cat not liking the peugot fitting kit

Any ideas?
Posted 11th Jan 2011 at 21:58
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
fitting kit comes with 3 different length bolts, make sure they use the correct pair.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th Jan 2011 at 22:32
matt.gti6

Regular

Post #6
Welshpug,

I'm trying to bottom this out with the garage now, it's possible they've used the wrong ones, and binned the rest! Aghh! Will find out in the morning.

Just to check, is it possible that when changing from one brand of CAT to another, you would require a different length of bolt, or do they not vary that much?
Thanks
Posted 11th Jan 2011 at 22:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
it may be possible, the flange of the cat on aftermarket cats does vary, o.e ones never did.

should not be a concern though if they fitted a new kit, they'd know when fitting it wasn't right, unless they're retards LOL

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th Jan 2011 at 23:11
matt.gti6

Regular

Post #8
Hmmm, that sounds positive, hopefully they can sort it tomorrow then, fingers crossed! if they have fitted bolts that are too long, and chucked the others,Is it okay to use some washers to adjust the preload on the springs? Not ideal, but should work? Otherwise I'll have to buy another fitting kit!
Posted 12th Jan 2011 at 00:10
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
yup, or get the lacky to rummage in the bin LOL

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Jan 2011 at 00:14
matt.gti6

Regular

Post #10
Okay, the garage hadn't chucked any bolts, phew.

They originally fitted the longest of the 3 sets of bolts - as this is what was fitted to start with.

They have just tried the medium set of bolts, no improvement - exhaust blowing just as bad apparently.

Tomorrow morning they are going to try the shortest bolts... if this doesn't cure it what are my options?

I can't believe that it is my engine mounts, as my original exhaut did not blow. Is it possible that the new cat is damaged/deformed in some way?

The only other thing I can think of is that the old cat/manifold joint was all rusted in place so could not move much - so if my engine mounts are shot, the cat/manifold joint did not blow as it couldn't move! Is that possible?

If the short bolts don't fix it I'll be getting the car back methinks, and I'll have to investigate it myself...may have to try the old cat to see if that fixes it Sad
Posted 12th Jan 2011 at 22:05
matt.gti6

Regular

Post #11
Any ideas?
Posted 13th Jan 2011 at 02:48