displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Any other problems with tapping engines?
gti-dan

Regular

Post #1
I've noticed tapping engines go fairly cheaply. Is anything else. Likely to have gone other than bent valves? I suppose I have seen some where is has destroyed a piston or two. Do they ever damage the cylinder bores themselves? I'm just trying to know how much of gamble it is buying a tapper??? Would be using it to build an engine up rather than have mine out for ages.
Posted 3rd Jan 2011 at 23:53
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
often they have damaged guides, pistons can have damage to the tops.

not unknown for bottom ends to start knocking either.

due to the cost of valves and the labour to fix one, I'd not bother unless you get the engine for next to nothing.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Jan 2011 at 00:02
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Depends on the extent of the break down a tapper is ok as a base to build a decent engine from but you would need to replace the bearings and rings as well as have the head sorted out (valve guides cause the tapping)

Only thing you can do is take it apart and have a look Smile
Posted 4th Jan 2011 at 00:04