displaying posts 26 to 30 of 30

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: gti6 inlet on cad
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
smegal wrote:
Another consideration is the fact that it pulses as opposed to constantly flowing.

You may find that the trumpets are longer on the standard too.

How accurate is your drawing to the real one dimension wise. Would you be able to email to me.

beat me to it about the pulses lol, dimensions wise theyre about +/-1mm at the moment, but im getting a spare manifold soon and im going to cut it open and measure. might use the laser scanner if i get time.

309 GTi6-T
Posted 2nd Jan 2011 at 00:40
Royce Amatique

Post #27
I think this is just a general feature of plenums, I remember a professor telling me this once but I've not been able to recall the reason, although I've tried many times before.

Your case doesn't actually represent the real engine running though, because all four cylinders don't draw simultaneously. Therefore the flow through the plenum is actually less than what you've simulated. The intention of a plenum is to try and make the pressure in the plenum uniform so that each branch sees the same pressure and gets uniform flow. This is achieved by oversizing the plenum compared to the branches so the velocity in the plenum is "zero" or close to it. This reduces the pressure drop along the plenum and effectively allows no pressure difference between the inlet and the far end.

The plenum here isn't large enough compared to the branches to have very low velocity when all branches are flowing. In fact with the plenum is probably only 4 times the area of a branch, so the velocity will be the same, or even more in the plenum as it is in the branch.

This thread is old now so I'm sure you've finished your project, but it would have been good to see it with flow in only one branch at a time.

Really good job though, nicely done geometry. What sort of mesh did you use, did you put an inflated boundary on it to capture the boundary layer, what about the turbulence model? I would like to see your finished project results.
Posted 11th Feb 2012 at 11:00
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Royce Amatique wrote:
I think this is just a general feature of plenums, I remember a professor telling me this once but I've not been able to recall the reason, although I've tried many times before.

Your case doesn't actually represent the real engine running though, because all four cylinders don't draw simultaneously. Therefore the flow through the plenum is actually less than what you've simulated. The intention of a plenum is to try and make the pressure in the plenum uniform so that each branch sees the same pressure and gets uniform flow. This is achieved by oversizing the plenum compared to the branches so the velocity in the plenum is "zero" or close to it. This reduces the pressure drop along the plenum and effectively allows no pressure difference between the inlet and the far end.

The plenum here isn't large enough compared to the branches to have very low velocity when all branches are flowing. In fact with the plenum is probably only 4 times the area of a branch, so the velocity will be the same, or even more in the plenum as it is in the branch.

This thread is old now so I'm sure you've finished your project, but it would have been good to see it with flow in only one branch at a time.

Really good job though, nicely done geometry. What sort of mesh did you use, did you put an inflated boundary on it to capture the boundary layer, what about the turbulence model? I would like to see your finished project results.

What a really good first post!!Big grin

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 11th Feb 2012 at 17:12
specter

Regular

Post #29
has someone this CAD file? or another one from the inlet manifold?
Posted 27th Nov 2014 at 10:41
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #30
Moved to Engines. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 3rd Dec 2014 at 23:34

Pages (2): 1 [2]