displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Im starting to seriously hate my car now
deli

Regular

Post #1
already had some words of advice but a few more wont hurt....

Since the cold weather started my car killed a battery which was fair enough and i replaced it with a quality bosch one from a mates car that was working fine in the bad weather.. anyway its been on my car for about 2 weeks now ..

I have not used my car since xmas eve when i came home from work now i went to use it today and not even the ignition lights came on it was totally dead Sad

Someones already told me about pulling fuses to find the fault/alternator... anyone else got anything to say on this matter?

This car is nothing but a money pit.... i hate it so much but i also love it Sad

Phase 1 GTi-6
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 18:41
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
4 days isn't long to leave a car to be fully dead.

Electrickery isn't my forte but usual suspects include boot light staying on, dead alarm siren which is draining the battery etc.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 18:53
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
its french...lol

with the AA? there come out and test where the drain is coming from and jobs a good'un i would suggest making some sort of video but i dont think it would help... Ninja

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 18:53
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #4
Find a mate who's got a multimeter, one that does current readings (10A should do the trick). Hook it up with the car off and see what the drain on the battery is at rest/locked/with alarm on (don't try to start the car or turn ignition on or you may blow the fuse in the meter). For comparison, measured mine the other day and it's 85mA at rest but locked (and stays 85mA with alarm on as well). That's a little more than I expected but still OK.

If yours is draining a fresh battery in 5 days I expect you'll see a reading of nearer half an amp/500mA. Then, start systematically pulling fuses in the car's fuseboard to disconnect stereo, etc. and check the current reading as you do this, this should help you to identify the circuit that's got the drain on it.

clicky for more

Hope this helps! Thumbs up

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 19:22