displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Mounts
my911gt2

Regular

Post #1
what engine mounts do people use?

i am thinking of getting a set of Baker Bushes ones?

any thoughts,

thanks

Citroen ZX 16V ,
Posted 28th Dec 2010 at 05:10
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
Depends on what you want.

Harder mounts reduce/remove engine movement but the price is comfort. Cabin vibration and noise increases with mount stiffness.

Having used a few different uprated mounts I am now back on standard mounts as I was using the car for commuting and the constant cabin vibration was starting to get annoying.

Rich
Posted 28th Dec 2010 at 05:42
my911gt2

Regular

Post #3
In the real world - are the uprated ones really worth the money? did u notice anything other than the noise and vibration?

Citroen ZX 16V ,
Posted 28th Dec 2010 at 13:52
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
It's only the bottom one which really needs it, Thee top 2 just support the engine and without the lower one just rock on them, You can either fit the hard rubber lower or rotate a new std lower one so the rubber works against the engine unlike the std position.

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 28th Dec 2010 at 17:20
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #5
my911gt2 wrote:
In the real world - are the uprated ones really worth the money? did u notice anything other than the noise and vibration?

The biggest improvement is the greatly improved throttle response and a much nicer, smoother gear shift. Throttle imputs equate to instant changes in engine speed rather than just wobbling the engine around in the bay (which is what happens on tired old mounts) and on-off throttle applications (changing gear for instance) are much more controllable as the engine does'nt wind up the rubbers and then release energy back into the driveline giving you a jolt when you get back on the power. It's a small thing but anything you do to reduce engine movement (up to a point) seems to make the car drive smoother.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 28th Dec 2010 at 17:38
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #6
daveyboy wrote:
my911gt2 wrote:

The biggest improvement is the greatly improved throttle response and a much nicer, smoother gear shift. Throttle imputs equate to instant changes in engine speed rather than just wobbling the engine around in the bay (which is what happens on tired old mounts) and on-off throttle applications (changing gear for instance) are much more controllable as the engine does'nt wind up the rubbers and then release energy back into the driveline giving you a jolt when you get back on the power. It's a small thing but anything you do to reduce engine movement (up to a point) seems to make the car drive smoother.

This is a common mistake that people make; comparing a ten year old heavily worn item to a new uprated item.

A new standard lower mount is more than good enough for a road car. As Miles says you can firm it up a little more if required just by rotating the mount in the housing.

I've read a lot of reviews for the 306 and I don't recall any of them criticising drive line shunt or poor gear change and my own experiences of driving 306's on fresh standard mounts confirm these 'issues' are not present on a well looked after standard car.

Rich
Posted 28th Dec 2010 at 19:38