displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Replacing rear shelf speakers for non OEM FAQ
sixysix

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi guys,

As I put this info in my other thread, thought it would be good in case anyone else needed to do similar in the future, so here it is....

Below you will find how to replace your standard speakers with 6x9's and also aftermarket 165mm speakers.

First up, 6x9's, Have fun...

Start off with a standard shelf, remove speakers and grilles, then mark up and cut out the holes for yours new speakers.I cut round the existing holes so there were no gaps in the shelf.

I also cut off the shelf speaker baskets so I could keep the wire channeling to keep the wiring tidy.

Then I cut off the yellow blocks and crimped some female terminals to the wires. Connecting the speakers this way means the wiring still goes through the round connector in the boot and makes removal nice and easy.

If you prefer, you can buy a connector that connects from the yellow plugs on the shelf into standard crimp connectors for about £3 off fleabay to make it easier to revert back to standard speakers if you really wanted to Unsure

The rear speaker wire colours are as follows...

Drivers Side Rear Speaker Wire Colours

Black -
Black & White +

Passenger Side Rear Speaker Wire Colours

Black -
Blue +

Some models have different colour wires, so these would be...

Drivers Side Rear Speaker Wire Colours

Red -
Beige +

Passenger Side Rear Speaker Wire Colours

White -
Yellow +

I may as well just mention the front speaker wire colours while I'm at it, which are...

Drivers Side Front Speaker Wire Colours

Red -
Yellow +

Passenger Side Front Speaker Wire Colours

Beige -
Yellow +

So I trial fitted the shelf and all was well and seemed pretty sturdy with the 6x9's on there but I fancied something to do so thought I would plonk a bit of MDF on the underside to make sure..

I used a 10mm sheet of MDF, roughly cut to shape needed, then marked up the speaker holes and cut them out as well.
Then just mark out where the bolts/screws need to go.

MDF is a bit out of place against a grey/black background and I had a bit of black paint left in a can, so I sprayed the underside to blend it all in...

Wiring routed between the shelf and MDF to keep it reasonably tidy...

I also used some 15mm self tapping screws to hold everything secure which you can see in the first picture.

The little strips on the top side are just cardboard stuck down.
The reason for this is that the inner ridges of the shelf are shallower than the outer edges.
The tweeter on the 6x9's would have left a bump in the accoustic material instead of being flat so I did this to keep it all even. More on that in a bit Smile

The other easy option is to mount the speakers to the bottom of the shelf, but I prefer to have the shelf holding the speakers instead of having 4 screws pulling on an already wafer thin shelf.

So we had a fairly solid rear shelf plus speakers, next was hiding the Infinity's from all those rotten shlaaaaags! LOL

I got some good quality Accoustic cloth and a can of spray glue off egay for around £15.
This measured 2x1 Metres.
The shelf is wider than 1 metre so this size is ideal.

So spread out the cloth, place shelf on top and cut roughly to size leaving plenty around the edges for tucking and gluing down...

When you get to the tailgate strings, feel where they will go through, then pierce a small hole in the material and feed the string through...

I started at the flat edge side and sprayed the glue directly onto the shelf then applied and positioned the material, then simply worked my way round, cutting and positioning as I went...

When you come to corners or bends, you will have to make a cut in the cloth to allow it to mould to the shape better. Just don't go too far otherwise it will leave a little gap and show the shelf underneath.

Also bear in mind that if you are using spray glue and the speakers are already fitted, then cover them with a cloth or something if you are spraying glue near them!

And finally finished!

Put it in the car today and I am really happy with it and the speakers sound pretty good too Big grin

Next up, standard fit aftermarket 165mm/16.5 speakers into the rear shelf Smile

My Pugrun 2007/2009 video clips
Take a look

Pugrun 2007...Lose yourself Laugh

Xbox Live ID: Marksixysix (Forza 3, Forza 4 PES 2010, COD 6/MW2, WRC 2010).

PSN ID: MarkSixysix ( DiRT 3 GT5, NFS:Hot pursuit).

P1 Diablo red 6 gone but not forgotten Sad
Posted 26th Dec 2010 at 22:57
sixysix

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Next up is fitting some aftermarket 165mm speakers into the standard shelf keeping the standard grilles for an OEM look.

My parcel shelf is the phase 1 type with grilles so later phases without grilles obviously won't apply but some of it may be of use Smile

Quite simple to do this over all so here you go...

Take your phase 1 / 2 shelf and remove the screws from the underside of the speaker baskets (Three each side). Then disconnect the yellow plug from each speaker.

Next remove the speakers from the grilles by removing the three screws from the main speaker, then twist the tweeter in the corner of the grille, and pull the wiring away gently to remove the speaker.

Some speakers may then slot straight in, but I had to drill the holes slightly to make a better fit.

The tweeter on my speakers also stuck out too far from the speaker so the tweeter fouled on the underside of the grille.
If you encounter this, it is a simple matter of cutting away the plastic on the underside of the grille which holds the foam in place.
Takes a minute to do and will give much more room and will enaable the speaker to fit properly.

Once done, simply reattack the speaker to the grille with the original screws. That's the speakers sorted.

The baskets are quite shallow and most aftermarket speakers will not fit without some cutting.

Cutting away is easy enough with some hand tools like a hacksaw or cutters and can be done quite quickly if your not worried about how it looks.

I took a bit more time and made everything as flush as I could, then filed the edges down so there were no sharp edges anywhere like this...

Next up is wiring the speakers to the original wiring and there are two ways to do this.
In the picture above, you can see a wiring connector.
This was purchased off egay for about £3 and it plugs into the original connecor which converts to standard terminal crimps for aftermarket speakers. It is handy as there is no cutting of the wiring involved.

The other option is to simply cut off the yellow connector blocks and fit some standard terminals to the wiring which is straight forward, although you may need to extend the speaker wiring if it is too short to reach the new speakers.

And here's they should look like when done...

The flash shows up the silver tweeter under the grilles but they look standard in most light.

Speakers used are not overly large but even speakers with larger magnets should fit just fine as there is lots of room unlike the front doors Dry LOL

Hope this helps anyone trying to do similar,
- Mark Smile

My Pugrun 2007/2009 video clips
Take a look

Pugrun 2007...Lose yourself Laugh

Xbox Live ID: Marksixysix (Forza 3, Forza 4 PES 2010, COD 6/MW2, WRC 2010).

PSN ID: MarkSixysix ( DiRT 3 GT5, NFS:Hot pursuit).

P1 Diablo red 6 gone but not forgotten Sad
Posted 26th Dec 2010 at 22:56
gota6again

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Nice, more or less what I did except my 6x9's live in boxes under the parcel shelf.
Posted 26th Dec 2010 at 22:58