displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: Engine running - High Idle
springs

Regular

Post #1
Hi all,

Got round to finishing my engine off today and came to bleed the coolant etc. Upon firing up the engine it idles between 2 - 2.5K and if i blip the throttle it will go and try and stay at 4K (but i only did this once and stopped the engine)

When the engine was in its original shell it started and ran fine with no idle problems.

I've taken off the idle control valve and wiped it over but wasen't that dirty. Is there anything else i can try / swap to get this to work?

Searching it could be something to do with the ICV not getting power. When is power meant to be given to the ICV?
Posted 22nd Nov 2010 at 00:30
:: blade ::

Senior User

Post #2
Im having the same sort of prob, bought a new icv so will see if thats the prob even tho ive cleaned and fitted two of them, if its not that im unsure Sad

Black Ph1 XSi-6
161.8BHP (Getting Better!!!!)
Posted 22nd Nov 2010 at 00:42
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
same problems as mine was (see my previous after cleaning problems thread) turned out to be an airleak, 2 pipes going to the TB/inlet (il check the recipt as to which!) had cracked due to the rubber / plastic being old, didnt hear / feel an airleak myself but the car has litterally never run better so would have been there for a long time.

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 22nd Nov 2010 at 18:55
springs

Regular

Post #4
i changed the ICV and pipe i had from another engine. Still the same problem

I put my hand over the ICV pipe when it was running and the idle dropped and raised when i removed it.
Posted 22nd Nov 2010 at 20:40
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Hmm strange, i know the split in my pipe i could feel or see as it was on the underside, but it was more than one that got replaced Dunno was the ICV you replaced it with new or 2nd hand? obviously a small chance of the second one being dodgey as well but may just be unlucky Sad

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 22nd Nov 2010 at 22:05
springs

Regular

Post #6
the other ICV was "2nd hand" in that it was on a old engine of mine which ran fine when it was wired up in the 205 it was installed in.

could it be another sensor thats causing it?

what about the tps sensor? as when i rev the engine with the throttle it shoots up and doesn't come back down.
Posted 22nd Nov 2010 at 22:12
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
im sure someone more in the know will be here soon, but litterally is exactly the same as i what i had, when up to temp would idle between 2k-2.5 like clock work, then when revving / driving it would "hold" the revs, sometimes on start up the revs would just keep going up as if the throttle was on the floor until i tapped the louod pedal myself. (all in the space of only 2 weeks LOL)

Posted 23rd Nov 2010 at 13:41
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Removing cleaning and replacing unsettles the icv so once put back in the ecu is confused this will settle within a week, however if you have had an icv prob then u need to get the fault removed from the ecu via diagnostics otherwise it will keep throwing the fault up, I have cleaned mine twice and every time I put it back in it becomes unsettled for a few days, last week after I had cleaned mine it was running at 4k from cold start for about a minute then it would settle, whilst driving it would seem sometimes that it was driving itself!!! As I say tho either remove the fault if the ecu shows one or be patient and it will settle, I hope this helps good luck Smile

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 00:14
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
just to add mine was on a diag machine and showerd nothing, and wasnt the ecu needing to re-learn.

Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 14:23
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Agreed oeken mine showed nothin on diag either, but detonately sorted itself within a week, strange things are these dam icvs Smile

Team Nile 6 Superman
5 x a 306 owner!
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 15:35
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
strange to say the least! but that wasnt my problem, it was air escaping Laugh my ass off but as above neverhas it idled / sounded / drives so well!

Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 15:37
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I would say it's maybe either or then IMO, all my pipes were and are fine, I think now it needs to be process of illimination

Team Nile 6 Superman
5 x a 306 owner!
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 15:52
:: blade ::

Senior User

Post #13
Mines been around a week now since i cleand the icv and its still having the same prob, will find out if it is anything once i put the new icv and if its something else im goin to be miffed Smile

Black Ph1 XSi-6
161.8BHP (Getting Better!!!!)
Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 16:59
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
:: blade :: wrote:
if its something else im goin to be miffed Smile

have you considered the car is french so probably will be something else Razz Laugh my ass off

Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 17:00
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Unplug the icv and drive it if it continues to rev high then it's not icv

Team Nile 6 Superman
5 x a 306 owner!
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 17:24
springs

Regular

Post #16
I've managed to track down the main problem.. It was that someone forgot to remove some tissue that was covering the throttle body so that was causing the main problem. I've put the original ICV on as it made the car run better. I've not got another problem where its revving between 1K and 2K and the speedo is also moving. I've included a video to try and show it.

Posted 25th Nov 2010 at 18:50
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Tissue in the throttle body?? Now possibly in the engine or inlet manifold?? Between 1 and 2 k sounds much better now all u need to do is bare with it and it should settle now.

Team Nile 6 Superman
5 x a 306 owner!
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 25th Nov 2010 at 22:08
brownboy

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Have you had it on a diagnostic machine could be the lambda has gone?
Posted 25th Nov 2010 at 22:11
springs

Regular

Post #19
no. not had it on a machine. car's not on the road yet and not 100% sure if a machine will read it.. Its a phase 1 with fitted gti-6 engine.
Posted 25th Nov 2010 at 22:19