displaying posts 976 to 1000 of 1021

Pages (41): first .. 39 [40] 41

Author Subject: Harris' SC China Track Car attempt
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #976
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Good bit progress mate and got to Love them brakes, look forward to seeing them all fitted.

Cheers mate Smile

Was going to start the fitting of brakes at the weekend but then decided against it. I havent driven the car in a couple of months, so want to get it back on the road and get used to the standard brakes. That way, I should see a nice improvement when I fit the KAD brakes Smile

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 10th Feb 2014 at 11:46
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #977
Right then, been slowly getting a few things done on this, more to come at the weekend but heres a small update.

Last weekend managed to get my oil cooler fitted, still needs plumbing in, but hopefully get that sorted this weekend.

It was a bit of a mission, but with the help of a friend with ideas and welding, we got it done easy enough. Decided the best place for it was to shift the intercooler over as far as it would go, then mount on its side (hopefully this is fine to do, seen it on some other cars).

Welded in a new bar between the bumper mounting bracket things, allowing us to move the cooler over, and give us something to weld a bracket to.

So here it is fitted up, no pics of during I'm afraid as was trying to get it all sorted as quickly as possible.

Cut the bumper bracket, and bent it round to make the other mounting bracket

Then had to make some minor adjustments to the inside of the bumper to get it to fit

Then I spent a bit of time doing some work on the bumper.

The bumper seems to be in two bits and slots together. Most of these locating tabs wouldnt locate and stay in, so decided to glue most of the bumper back together. I also had a part where the bumper had warped so it meant the bumper didnt fit properly, and left a nice gap. (anyone who has seen my car has probably noticed)

Like this...

So heated it gently, and then glued back into place, fingers crossed the glue holds out ok.

Then finally as I have now mounted an oil cooler directly behind the grille, I decided to give it some extra protection from stones etc, and put mesh behind it.

So bought some mesh and gave it a lick of black paint.

Then cut it to shape, and fitted with glue along bottom edge, and good ol' cable ties to keep it held on to the grille.

More to come soon....

Chris
Posted 26th Mar 2014 at 09:41
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #978
Like the idea with the grill. Might have to do that my self seeing as my oil cooler is now right at the front waiting to get damaged lol
Posted 26th Mar 2014 at 09:50
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #979
Your tow strap is upside down Crazy come one chris! Laugh my ass off whens the breaks going on?

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url &amp; =
Posted 26th Mar 2014 at 11:37
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #980
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Your tow strap is upside down Crazy come one chris! Laugh my ass off whens the breaks going on?

Knew someone would mention that Laugh my ass off

It doesnt matter, and made it better that way. The metal part isnt flat, it has a kink in it, and fitted better that way round, but meant writing on strap reads upside down Laugh

With any luck, will get the brakes on this weekend. Was going to do it a few weeks back when car was off road, but wanted to get used to standard brakes first, then upgrade Cool

Chris
Posted 26th Mar 2014 at 12:02
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #981
Bit of an update (not a good one though)

Car still looks like this...

Had the plan of changing the oil and plumbing in the oil cooler while I was there, and it turned into a nightmare as usual!

First of all, the lines were too long, so had to cut them down and re-do the ends. This is a complete and utter c**t, and I will not be using braided line again Laugh

After completing that and going to bolt it up, it seems one of the connectors wouldnt attach to the sandwich plate as the thread size was different Unsure No idea how thats happened, as I just bough AN10 fittings, never saw them state different thread sizes?

Luckily, I had another one in the shed that did fit, but connector was slightly different, but seemed to work all the same. So with all the lines on and tightened up (after a lot of faffing, swearing etc) I fired her up to find I had a pretty bad leak. Removed sandwich plate and ensured all were very tight, but also worrying in case these can be overtightened and ruined (like my high pressure power steering line).

Big leak from drivers side connector on sandwich plate sorted, but now a very slight leak on passenger side connector Sad

I have decided to buy a new fitting and get it changed again, but if that doesnt work, not sure where to go, pretty fed up with it!

My other concern is it leaks now when 'stat isnt even properly open, and oil is cold. When warm (and thinner) and thermostat properly open, could leak from all sorts of places!

Chris
Posted 31st Mar 2014 at 12:00
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #982
I then moved on to getting my fuel pump and swirl pot fitted. I say fitted, just bolted up really and getting an idea of how its going to go. Have no idea how to actually connect it up Laugh my ass off

Do I need to do anything with it as I am still low boost? I suppose I should message Pete as I see he has fitted one, and pretty sure his is still low boost.

Luckily as I bought it second hand, Ross was kind enough to keep it together, so I'm at least half way there.

Got the washers and nuts etc ready for fitment

Using rubber bobbin mounts, then secured nicely.

In place

Earth sorted

I have also ran the cable through the car to the maxi fuse box, and cables tidied away.

More on this when I work out how to plumb it in.

Chris
Posted 31st Mar 2014 at 13:17
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #983
Nice update there mate. Whens it going to be back up and running then? Any time this year?

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url &amp; =
Posted 31st Mar 2014 at 16:22
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #984
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Whens it going to be back up and running then? Any time this year?

f**k off Laugh my ass off

It was working and running fine. Took it out for a few drives etc and no issues. I have now got it to a point where I cant drive it again with the oil cooler situation, which should be sorted in a few days (if the new connector resolves the issue).

If not, will take the bloody cooler sandwich plate off again just so I can use it Laugh

Want the cooler on and working correctly though before I book a track day.

Chris
Posted 31st Mar 2014 at 16:43
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #985
Where you got in mind for 1st track day this year?

Posted 31st Mar 2014 at 18:05
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #986
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Where you got in mind for 1st track day this year?

Until I know everything is all good, will probably stay fair local for the first one. I have Rockingham within a mile from my house so maybe that, but thinking maybe Bedford. Changed a fair bit since it was last on track, so think that would be a good one to see whats what.

Chris
Posted 1st Apr 2014 at 09:52
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #987
Looking good mate. Piece of p**s to fit the swirl pot up? I ran that on the high boost but have run one on an n/a engine too! We'll worth it just for piece of mind I think especially if you run under a 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 1st Apr 2014 at 11:22
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #988
superchargedblack1997gti6 wrote:
Looking good mate. Piece of p**s to fit the swirl pot up? I ran that on the high boost but have run one on an n/a engine too! We'll worth it just for piece of mind I think especially if you run under a 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

Dont suppose you have any pictures Ross?

Did you cut a hole in floor and take the lines up through that, and then in on the round access panel to standard fuel pump?

Or is there a way to wangle them in over the top of the fuel tank, under the floor?

Chris
Posted 1st Apr 2014 at 11:31
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #989
No mate they run over your beam and to the fuel lines under the filler neck no need to go anywhere near the fuel tank? The main wire I ran the length of the car and direct to the battery?

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 1st Apr 2014 at 11:37
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #990
superchargedblack1997gti6 wrote:
No mate they run over your beam and to the fuel lines under the filler neck no need to go anywhere near the fuel tank? The main wire I ran the length of the car and direct to the battery?

Good job I asked before cutting holes then Laugh

I will have a look at the weekend, and post up some pics etc when I need help.

I have ran that wire to the fuse box in engine bay at the minute as didnt know where to put that either, although I assume its the live LOL

Chris
Posted 1st Apr 2014 at 11:55
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #991
Replaced the oil line connector last night and all seems to be good.

Can now carry on with the other little issues and finishing bits off, then go abuse it on the track Devil

Chris
Posted 10th Apr 2014 at 10:41
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #992
Good lad. Your getting there. At least the weathers warmer now and lighter nights means you can crack on more Big grin

Posted 10th Apr 2014 at 12:05
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #993
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Good lad. Your getting there. At least the weathers warmer now and lighter nights means you can crack on more Big grin

Yes mate! See yours is all good again now! You doing FCS or Pugfest this year?

Also, currently working on sorting out my garden to allow me to have extra space to work on the car, and investing in a marquee type thing. Cheap garage basically Smile

Chris
Posted 10th Apr 2014 at 12:16
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #994
Looking at getting to fcs but might just do a track day local. And if im moving away I dont want to go pulling too much money out for petrol ect...
Yeah mine seems to be running very well now. Just need to get inlet and omex on then get all mapped up.

Posted 10th Apr 2014 at 13:04
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #995
Looking good chris

Definitely taking you up on the offer of a trackday up your way and a cuppa Big grin

Looking into Rockingham as Donington is hellishly expensive though bedford sound like a good choice aswell

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 10th Apr 2014 at 23:11
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #996
Been using this as a daily this week as the MOT has run out on my diesel. My god its fun to drive, and I forgot how quick it can be Crazy

Also heard yesterday there is a "Retro Cars Magazine" day at Rockingham on monday. Probably going along as its free, but there is track time sessions too, so may do one or two of them to test out the oil cooler etc.

Chris
Posted 17th Apr 2014 at 09:44
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #997
Now you can get the brakes on Big grin stop p**sing about Chris Laugh my ass off

Posted 17th Apr 2014 at 09:46
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #998
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Now you can get the brakes on Big grin stop p**sing about Chris Laugh my ass off

Anything is p**sing about in comparison to the speed you work at Laugh my ass off

I am lightning quick compared to most project threads on here Whistle

Chris
Posted 17th Apr 2014 at 10:47
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #999
LOL I just like ro get the job done so I can move onto the next job.
Anyway how does it feel to drive now? All running well now I take it?

Posted 17th Apr 2014 at 10:49
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #1000
Small update...

Managed to get my brakes fitted at the weekend. I decided to cheat though and get my mate to fit them Razz

Few pictures...

Annoyingly though, they dont seem to fit under cyclones without spacers. Not the end of the world, but was told by a few people they will fit.

Literally like a mm off fitting..

Need to get the car out on a decent long drive to see whats what, but first impressions are as follows:

- They are very good, great stopping power and great pedal feel
- They do work on the road at lower temperatures
- They make a f**king horrible noise on light pedal application that makes my ears bleed
- I need to work out my brake balance via the bias valve

Chris
Posted 6th May 2014 at 09:42

Pages (41): first .. 39 [40] 41