displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Diesel Leak
bbs 306

Post #1
Wasnt sure where to post this, hope this is the right place

On changing a wheel this weekend i noticed we have a diesel leak on the drivers side just infront of the rear arch under the rear door. It appears to be leaking when there is a full tank and it drips until the fuel needle moves off full.

Looking at fuel leak posts on here i checked the filler pipe behind the arch, all looks ok with this but the diesel is running down two fuel lines that run between the tank and bodywork.

any ideas?
Posted 9th Nov 2010 at 03:04
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I'm sure someone on pug306.net will be more able to help you.

I'd guess it's the filler elbow that's leaking.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 9th Nov 2010 at 03:06
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
That would be a very big problem on a 6 or a rallye lol.

although im sure its very same as a 6 or rallye as tanks not same, id say the filler elbow or the pipes its self.

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 9th Nov 2010 at 04:28
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
HDi by chance?

I had this problem. It's the corrugated tank vent pipe that's a SHIT design. It's full when the tank is brimmed, and stores a small amount of diesel at all times. It fatigues in the corrugations and you can't even see the leak, but the head from a full tank of diesel forces it out. If you put any more than 40 litres in it p*sses all your diesel on the floor from... you guessed it.. in front of the elbow. The reason it stops leaking is because the level drops below it's entrance point in the tank when you've used 20 litres worth of fuel (Ie all the volume in the filler neck, and the top part of the tank, allowing also for sloshing in the tank under braking).

To fix it, you need to drop the right hand side of the tank (you don't need to undo the entire brace and drop the tank to the floor). The pipe comes from the top front centre of the tank, slightly inboard of the pump, and runs along the top, straight past the pump, over the drivers side of the tank, down through a plastic moulded hole on the side of the tank, and drops down to the bottom of the filler neck, next to the rubber elbow that most people suffer with. Once the tank is suspended you can get to the top connection through the flap under the rear bench for the fuel pump.

To fix, get yourself down your local factor and buy a 1 metre length of rubber hose, as Peugeot don't sell the part anyway even if you wanted to put the same piece of shit back on there. IIRC you need 13mm diameter hose, and to coax it onto the slightly fatter neck at the base of the filler neck i just put some slits at the 12/3/6/9 o'clock positions and forced it on. Jubilee clip at each end, and no problems 30k later.

I've got photos on my phone somewhere from when I fixed mine, i'll have a rummage and see if i can dig some up to show you what I mean. Edit: Damn they're all at home, I can stick some up later if you're stuck.

HTH. Thumbs up

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 9th Nov 2010 at 12:35
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Found them. This is the bas**rd:

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 10th Nov 2010 at 03:32
bbs 306

Post #6
Yeah its a HDi, and it p*sses a lot of diesel if filled up then stops once run down. Cheers for that post, the pics would help an awful lot. I was worried it was a split tank when i couldnt find a leak in the ususal place. and it does appear to be coming from over the top of the tank, so this would make sense as well
Posted 10th Nov 2010 at 03:35
bbs 306

Post #7
cheers for the pics, looks exactly like my leak stains.
Posted 10th Nov 2010 at 03:38
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
It's deffo this fella if it's leaking like you can see in my pics, the stain is a giveaway it's coming from up north. If it leaks when you park downhill too then this is certainly your man, that's how i first noticed mine as the works car park is on a slant.

Budget about 6 hours if you've never done it before. You need to undo the rearmost brace bolt in the middle, and the drivers side brace bolt. This allow the tank to hang low on drivers side iirc. Start dousing them in plus gas before attempting.

Handbrake cable needs to come out of the caliper too as it runs under the tank. Either that, or put the caliper on the floor. If I get chance later in the week i'll take pics of my solution which works fine, even though i bought a slightly bigger bore pipe to replace it with i've never got around to it.

Try and do it with little fuel in the tank for obvious reasons...

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 10th Nov 2010 at 03:41
bbs 306

Post #9
lol! we been driving around with about £5 of fuel in it coz was waiting for a mate to strip it for me to investigate it, but looks like i can give it a go myself now i know the whole tank doesnt have to come off
Posted 13th Nov 2010 at 02:03
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I just bit the bullet and did mine, it's quite tricky if you aren't sure what to undo. IIRC only two brace bolts need come down as above, then the tank will hang low. measure the white pipe at the base of the filler neck where it connects and see what piping you can buy down your local factors. If you get stuck give me a shout.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 30th Nov 2010 at 00:02
bbs 306

Post #11
cheers, just waiting for temperatures above -6 now to do this!
Posted 3rd Dec 2010 at 01:16
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
FWIW you should be able to run up to 30 litres without leakage. 40 i found was the limit before it peed out.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 19th Dec 2010 at 21:54