displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Rear Brakes locking up
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I've a funny feeling my back brakes are locking up under very heavy braking. I'm not sure 100% sure but if it is, why? My car is a later one which I believe has EBD. Confused

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 4th Nov 2010 at 23:38
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
its a front engined and FWD hatchback, nowt wrong Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Nov 2010 at 23:40
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
TBH Welshy, I'm putting two and two together and making 10!

I had a strange, wheel bearing type noise from the car when fitted with the old wheels/tyres. I've since discovered that the old tyres had flat spots in them. When my new wheels and tyres were fitted the noise disappeared.

Now today whilst motoring along at a fair old rate I braked hard. The car seemed to move around a bit under braking. Almost felt like the back end was trying to overtake the front. Since then I've got got a similar noise. I've not looked at the tyres or owt yet but do you think it's possible that they have locked up and now the tyres are flat-spotted? Or I suppose it could just be coincidence and my wheel bearing does need changingDunno

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 4th Nov 2010 at 23:47
fletch

Track Head

Post #4
Brakes need bleeding?
Posted 5th Nov 2010 at 00:09
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
fletch wrote:
Brakes need bleeding?

I'll be doing that as I'm planning a brake fluid change to some decent stuff. I've got some DS2500's to go in the Wilwoods so it'll be done when I get round to fitting them.

Any other suggestions? I guess I need some one to follow me at speed to see if it is locking the rear brakesSmile Any volunteers?

Posted 5th Nov 2010 at 00:22
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
low rear tread, air in system, work beam mounts, tracking.

those are the causes
Posted 5th Nov 2010 at 03:44
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #7
I doubt the rears are locking Steve, the EBD is very good at making sure the fronts lock first. It could be a sign your rear dampers and/or beam mounts are past their best.

Rich
Posted 5th Nov 2010 at 03:56
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
The rear beam mounts are solid one form Miles so it can't be those. Could well be the dampers as I don't think they've ever been changed. They're on my "to do" list LOL

The fact I've got 4 pots on the front would be messing the EBD up would it?

Posted 5th Nov 2010 at 12:21
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
take a look at your Tracking, i guarantee its out,
will be a contributing factor Yes

then bleed brakes
Posted 5th Nov 2010 at 12:38
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #10
No, 4 pots up front won't affect the EBD. You'll probably have the ABS kicking in a little earlier than you'd ideally like but the brake force is distributed dynamically using wheel speed data from the ABS sensors.

Rich
Posted 5th Nov 2010 at 15:14