displaying posts 1 to 20 of 20

Author Subject: slight missfire only when car is restarted after running
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #1
Hi, i have a slight missfire on startup but only ever when the car has been run for a bit and the water temp is up from zero. Could this be related to the coolant temperature sensor? The car has just had headgasket etc done by Carl but the issue was there before anyway so it seems irrelevant. Its nothing major, just a little cough then all is fine car runs sweet with no hesitation or anything. Any ideas?
Thanks

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 12th Nov 2010 at 00:22
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Usually head gasket sign. Plugs good?

Considering the cost of a CTS you might as well change it. They are pretty cheap.

Nothing to see here
Posted 3rd Nov 2010 at 21:10
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #3
surely it cant be the head gasket, as stated its been done, will switch the CTS over. It actually did this from cold today, confused much could this be a cam sensor issue?

Posted 4th Nov 2010 at 01:29
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #4
Update on this replaced the CTS and the problem still exists and is driving me a bit mad! I've read so many threads similar to this and other forums and think it might be fuel related.

Car starts when cold flawlessly, take it out even for a short journey turn it off and restart it and it missfires on turnover for a second. I don't even think the car could be that hot after a 10 min journey with max revs of 3k either. It idles slightly lumpy after starting but after a couple of mins the idle is solid as a rock, however today whilst waiting at lights i could feel the engine almost pulsing, not like the normal vibrations.

What would be difference between restarting after a short run and it starting perfectly having left it overnight? I can only think of temperature and maybe something fuel pressure related perhaps or some kind of heatsoak (standard airbox with K&N panel btw).

The car seems to lack that punch below 3k rpm that i'd expect from a 6 and actually feels more torquey driving around in the higher gears at lower revs than the lower gears.

I've pulled each coil pack plug with the engine running and the engine note changed for each one, so they seem good.

On my list of possible causes i have:

Cam sensor
TPS
Lambda (although unlikely as it passed its MOT, reading of 1.02, and the car doesnt judder with 90% perfect idle)
Coilpacks (tested as mentioned)
Leaky injector/s
Fuel pressure regulator
MAP sensor (brand new 3 weeks ago, although the throttle body was very oily, so might have dirtied the new sensor a bit)
Small blow in the centre section of exhaust.

Can anyone suggest whether any of the above would definitely not be the issue. It almost seems like the beginning of something hence why it's so hard to pinpoint. I understand this is a bit of long shot but any light shed would be appreciated as i really want to start enjoying this car!

Posted 11th Nov 2010 at 03:57
mabgti

NV motors

Post #5
lambda for sureYes

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 11th Nov 2010 at 06:20
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #6
thought the lambda wasn't used on startup?

Posted 12th Nov 2010 at 00:22
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
not from cold its not no.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Nov 2010 at 00:51
mabgti

NV motors

Post #8
on cold startup the lambda is ignored... it takes a while for it to get upto temperature..

the heating element in the probe is what fails! on warm startup, the ecu thinks the lambda is ready, but if it isnt it will not show a correct reading of your avg afr!

get it on diagnostics, it will show up on a trace!

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
0121 448 7515
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 12th Nov 2010 at 04:46
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #9
not sure the car is playing up enough to get it on diagnostics yet although interesting stuff about the lambda heating element there regarding the missfire. Could the lambda be responsible for the lack of low down punch, because it just feels like its lacking torque although nothing feels drastically wrong, as there's no real jerkiness or too much hesitation, it gets through the revs it just feels like its lacking that eagerness underfoot. I do know my throttle body is fairly oily as the last time i opened it up to attempt a clean (didnt get far) oil actually ran of it a little bit so i suspect the TPS might be a bit gunky. Whats the easiest way to clean up the TB, take it off or just take off the intake pipe and wipe it out?

Posted 13th Nov 2010 at 00:24
vernam616

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
This problem very much sounds like mine im having

Ive had the car since March, and its always felt like it was ready to go with good low down torque.

The headgasket blew recently and ive had it changed, however since getting the car back, my problem sounds very much like yours, also noticed its really bad on fuel than it used to be

My lambda is a bosch one and i purchased it BRAND NEW 4 months ago, had a diagnostic done and he told me the lambda is performing correctly

Im going to try a TPS as i had a problem with this before, jerky changes, poor power and bad MPG, i bought a second hand one last time and im unsure as to whether its actually worked, best way is to unplug it, if your MPG improves you will know this is the culprit, but you will also notice the loss of power by unplugging it

Good luck with it and keep us updated, ill be unplugging mine tommorow so will update in a week to see how its been behaving

These cars really are a labour of love Sad

Audi S3 Black Edition
Posted 14th Nov 2010 at 01:27
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #11
Yes your post was one of the many i had already read whilst searching for a solution to the problem. I went out today and it still seems pretty sluggish, got a clean and supposedly working TPS coming soon so that'll go in next weekend, a mate is also has a spare fuel pressure regulator and new bosch lambda that we're gonna stick in to rule them out. So should all be switched next wknd. Will update when this is complete.

Posted 14th Nov 2010 at 01:42
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #12
update: Today i replaced:

the fuel pressure regulator,
cleaned out the throttle body,
replaced the TPS,
cleaned the ICV.

No change, in fact, i think it feels a bit worse, so i reckon ill be sticking the old TPS back in tomorrow. Car is so sluggish, doesnt rev freely really. Couldn't replace the lambda cos i couldn't get it out, tried so hard but its stuck fast. When i was down there i noticed the car has a pattern CAT which is also a bit noisey, wondering whether its knackered, hence the sluggishness. Thinking bout getting a decat and whacking the new lambda into it, perhaps do it next weekend. Noticed some signs of oil and water mixing around the throttle body, particularly in the hose from the crankcase and in the smaller hose running from near the throttle heater round up to the left hand side of the engine bay, looked a bit like baileys. Slightly worrying considering ive just had the headgasket done at Carls, also got a big drop in coolant and a bit of a drop in oil. Needless to say i'm a tad concerned now.

Posted 20th Nov 2010 at 23:09
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #13
So have you actually replaced the Lambda?

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 20th Nov 2010 at 23:15
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #14
not yet no unfortunately it wouldn't budge, tried wd40, extension bars, felt like i was about to tear the exhaust off, but it still wouldnt undo.

Posted 20th Nov 2010 at 23:19
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #15
jimbamboon wrote:
not yet no unfortunately it wouldn't budge, tried wd40, extension bars, felt like i was about to tear the exhaust off, but it still wouldnt undo.

That's very common. I'm not sure how to help with that, luckily I was replacing a CAT too when I changed mine. I expect someone on here would have a used one for not much money.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 20th Nov 2010 at 23:24
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
I'd get it to where did the HG and get them to check it over.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 21st Nov 2010 at 01:06
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #17
was done at carl's no more than a few weeks ago

Posted 21st Nov 2010 at 02:46
mabgti

NV motors

Post #18
The misfire is the idle goin lean.. this due to faulty lambda.. get it on a proper peugeot diagnostics rather than spending money on pointless things.

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
0121 448 7515
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 22nd Nov 2010 at 00:23
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #19
I haven't spent any extra money on it as i know how bottomless these pits can be! All the parts were free off a mate so thought i might aswell. I agree, saying i was going to go get a decat is jumping the gun a bit, would like to stick an OEM cat back onto the car though (anyone?) if im honest and ive still got that new lambda knocking about. Compression tested today and it was spot on 210 across the board. Think my mates TPS is worse than my old one as i get a bit more jerkiness when backing off compared to before, probably stick mine back on. Out of interest How much, how long for diagnostics Mab?

Posted 22nd Nov 2010 at 03:06
mabgti

NV motors

Post #20
£35 for diagnostics mate.. this includes sensor tracing of TPS, MAP, LAMBDA to define the fault. Obviously most just offer a fault code which the mm 1ap ecu doesnt tend to do!

Give us a shout mateThumbs up

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
0121 448 7515
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 22nd Nov 2010 at 22:57