displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Bucket seat mounting?
ashtal

Post #1
Im at the point with my 306 cage build i need to sort where the seats are going to be mounted.

I already have a pair of bucket seats but there not side mounts, there mounted from the underside.

I want to mount them in them in the best way possible. The only idea i have is to weld a pair of bars either side, then drill holes in them. Then put studs in the seats and put a nut on from the underside!?!

Is this ok? Cant find any info as most people use side mounts.
Posted 29th Oct 2010 at 04:28
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
yes, do that mate, i had bars welded in mine then just had my buckets welded in on sliders. should have realy bolted them in but welding them in was easyer and i have no reason to remove them. i can post pics up tomorrow

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 29th Oct 2010 at 04:36
ashtal

Post #3
eddy_gti6 wrote:
yes, do that mate, i had bars welded in mine then just had my buckets welded in on sliders. should have realy bolted them in but welding them in was easyer and i have no reason to remove them. i can post pics up tomorrow

Nice one mate
Posted 29th Oct 2010 at 04:42
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #4
Get a weld in seat mounting kit from someone like Demon Tweeks. If you drill a tube and then put stud bar through it will be weakend severely. Especially if the tube starts to crush when you tighten the nut. The tube should have a brackets welded to it and have a strengthening plate welded each end where the tube meets the sill and the tunnel. Think of the massive loading the seat will absorb in a heavy side impact and bear this in mind when welding and selecting fastners. If in any doubt, have it fitted by a welder with experience of this kind of work.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 29th Oct 2010 at 15:48
ashtal

Post #5
daveyboy wrote:
Get a weld in seat mounting kit from someone like Demon Tweeks. If you drill a tube and then put stud bar through it will be weakend severely. Especially if the tube starts to crush when you tighten the nut. The tube should have a brackets welded to it and have a strengthening plate welded each end where the tube meets the sill and the tunnel. Think of the massive loading the seat will absorb in a heavy side impact and bear this in mind when welding and selecting fastners. If in any doubt, have it fitted by a welder with experience of this kind of work.

I am a welders so thats not a problem, good advice about the brackets.
cheers
Posted 29th Oct 2010 at 15:50
fugs

Regular

Post #6
I bolted my seats to mounting brackets which I welded to 40mm box Iron. I than bolted and welded the box in place. Mounting seats is not an easy job as people seem to think. Just make sure its very sturdy. If in doubt do something about it before taking to the track.
Posted 29th Oct 2010 at 20:29
rikky 🦔

Post #7
get the floating seat mounting kit from here: clicky

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 17:45
ashtal

Post #8
rikky wrote:

Good kit but the nut is in the bottom of my seats! Bit pricey also, door bars £65!! tube is less than £10 per 1m lenghth!
Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 22:18
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
you could make a set of those up, I ordered them from tweeks because its easier. If u look in my project thread there is a pic of it u could maybe copy it.
Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 22:21
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
rikky wrote:

Spot on that Rikky, just ordered a pair pluss some other stuff, £200 lighterDoh

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 31st Oct 2010 at 04:43
rikky 🦔

Post #11
Yes good bit of kit it my sparco evo's are sidemounted. my welder loved fitting them, was so much arseache LOL but worth it Yes

can sit in the car with a lid without smashing my head on the cage and roof bars, and i'm 6'3

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 00:12