displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Speaker wires into the back of the head unit
joe5y

Senior User

Post #1
Hi,

What I want to know is, what colour are the stardard speaker wires that go into the back of the standard stereo and which are front & rear speakers?

What I am attempting to do is keep the standard headunit, as I'm a fan of 'the standard look', but as many of you will be aware, you can only fade left to right. I want to be able to fade front to back. The reason for this is because my rear speakers are a lot better than the fronts and I want to set the bias to the rear to compensate.

So my plan is, make left bias on the headunit the rear speakers and right bias the front speakers by switching the wires in the back of the headunit. My issue is, which wires do I need to change to make this happen? Crazy

Cheers guys,

Joe5y Smile

noaki wrote:
im sorry i wasn't aware 306gti6.com was a cult
LOL
** Team: EX-GTI-6 ** Team: EX-Phase 3 ** Team: EX-Black!

EX owner of a 1999 Peugeot 306 GTI-6 in Black
2006 VW Golf GT-Tdi 170 in Black
1996 Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo In Red
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Warrior in black, chipped with bigger wheels.
2007 Vauxhall Vivaro in Navy blue with alloys and lowered
Posted 28th Oct 2010 at 16:57
idnan

Regular

Post #2
You need to switch the front left with the rear rear so that when you change the balance to the left, both the rears get louder and fronts go quieter.

I can tell you the colours for each speaker when I get home as I have them noted down.

Becker do a range of OEM looking head units which are highly recommended if you want to ugrade to an aftermarket one.
Posted 28th Oct 2010 at 21:29
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
joe5y wrote:
as many of you will be aware, you can only fade left to right. I want to be able to fade front to back. The reason for this is because my rear speakers are a lot better than the fronts and I want to set the bias to the rear to compensate.

Erm? Fade or FAD is front to rear and BAL is balance Left to Right. Between BAL and FAD + or - you can make each individual speaker sound or just the rears more than the front.

As that stereo used to be mine I recall it having FAD and BAL when you scroll through BASS TREB etc.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 29th Oct 2010 at 00:39
joe5y

Senior User

Post #4
thugpuggin wrote:
joe5y wrote:
as many of you will be aware, you can only fade left to right. I want to be able to fade front to back. The reason for this is because my rear speakers are a lot better than the fronts and I want to set the bias to the rear to compensate.

Erm? Fade or FAD is front to rear and BAL is balance Left to Right. Between BAL and FAD + or - you can make each individual speaker sound or just the rears more than the front.

As that stereo used to be mine I recall it having FAD and BAL when you scroll through BASS TREB etc.

thugpuggin wrote:
Erm? Fade or FAD is front to rear and BAL is balance Left to Right. Between BAL and FAD + or - you can make each individual speaker sound.

It doesn't have that option, with the standard clarion tape player (with CD auto changer) that I have, you only get the option of left to right fader.

Joe5y

noaki wrote:
LOL

Posted 29th Oct 2010 at 00:43
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
You must have, are you pressing the GEO button enough times? Even the stereo in the 106 gti I use has it and that's an older but similar stereo as I checked yesterday.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 01:49
khj100

Senior User

Post #6
As Jon said, I've had a fair number of these stereos in numerous 306 and 106s and they've ALL had both fade and balance!

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 03:04
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
fit better front speakers?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 03:16
joe5y

Senior User

Post #8
The one I had simply didn't have that option. Crazy

When pressing the 'GEO' button or what ever it is called I would only get the options "Bass" "Treble" "Bal" and then it would revert back to "Vol". I will get a pic of each stage to show you.

I have however got around this problem by going to my local scrap yard a picking up a newer OEM CD player from a 306 estate with the added bonus of a front loading CD player.

I will be upgrading the speakers in due course but I am still unsure which are best without having to start cutting door cards and metal etc Any opinions?

Cheers,

Joe5y

noaki wrote:
LOL

Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 14:19