displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: coil on the way out??
monkgti

Regular

Post #1
well folks,

ok so i got in the car tonight to drive to the shop, drove fine, got to the shop and when i came out and started the car it was miss firing and the EM light was on, the petrol light was on so i thought mabey it was low on juice so i pulled over to the pumps and put in 20, started in and no difference... So i drove home quickly before anyone heard it (didnt want to be giving anymore excuses to be called french scrap) Whistle
I took off the injector plugs and found it was number 2 from the t-belt that was missing so i took off the coil cover and took out the coil, took out the plug and checked but it was fine, i was expecting it to be wet but was bone dry, so put it back in, gave the coil a few taps and put it back in and started the car and it ran fine!! so i put back on the cover, went to start it and it was missing again Angry
So took the cover back off thinking mabey the wire was crimped but it still missed, gave the coil a few taps, started it and it ran fine again! so im sure its the coil but my experience with coils is that once there gone there gone, a few taps wont make them work again Blink
does anyone have any other ideas before i go and buy a new coil? im going for a drive now so ill see how it gets on! i left the cover off this time!

IF YOU CAN READ THIS IM STILL IN 5TH!!!
Posted 27th Oct 2010 at 03:19
monkgti

Regular

Post #2
ok, went for a spin last night and it was fine and done a 60 mile trip today and still fine Dunno

Posted 27th Oct 2010 at 18:47
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Out of interest what kind of misfiring did you have? Was it all through the rev range, sound like a WW2 spitfire?

Have a feeling one of my coils might have gone on my Rallye Yes

Just Drive It
Posted 27th Oct 2010 at 20:40
monkgti

Regular

Post #4
yeah sounded like a scooby, pity didnt go like one LOL

it was missin from idle the whole way through the revs, when i plugged out number 2 injector it made no difference so i knew it was that cylinder was the problem, it hasnt happened since last night now though Smile

Posted 27th Oct 2010 at 23:15
monkgti

Regular

Post #5
ok, so got in the car tonight again and engine managment light on and missing again, drove a bit and it ran fine and the light went off Crazy

Posted 28th Oct 2010 at 05:22
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
When one of my coils was on it's way out it behaved exactly like you have described above.

Engine Management light on and it would drop in power and really struggle, then it would suddenly come back to life as if nothing had happened.

They way to find out which coil is faulty is to have the engine running and unplug each coil one at a time.

When you unplug the coil if you notice the engine start to struggle then that coil is working properly. If you unplug one and nothing happens to the engine then you have found the faulty coil.

Hopefully some of that made sense! Laugh
Posted 28th Oct 2010 at 05:34
monkgti

Regular

Post #7
oh yeah i know exactly what you mean man Wink i already found the bad one!!! before i took the cover off i disconnectet the injectors one by one to see which one it was missing on!

i may get a new coil then so Sad
anyone got any for sale??

Posted 28th Oct 2010 at 05:44
monkgti

Regular

Post #8
bought a new valeo coil today, cost 55 euro, just goin to wait til it acts up again to change it, cos i bet it will be grand til next week now in which case i could of got 1 off ebay for 15euro delivered but thought it wouldnt last over the weekend Roll eyes

Posted 29th Oct 2010 at 18:31