displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Creaking on acceleration
mikebee

Regular

Post #1
Have got this weird creaking noise that I can't figure out. It's like a creaky floorboard lol and happens when I open the throttle. Wondering if it's the speedo cable drive in the back of the clocks??

Has anyone else had this? Is the speedo cable a difficult job to change?
Posted 23rd Oct 2010 at 01:34
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Yes mine squeaks......a part just needs lubricating inside the cabin i'd say, don't know what it looks like down there so can't tell you LOL

VW Golf GT TDI 115, 100k nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted 25th Oct 2010 at 01:25
gti6neil

Regular

Post #3
Cracked metal under the o/s engine mounting rubbber on the inner wing Shock common problem,requires welding get a freind to pull the engine about wilt your in the car it will probley make the same noise if this is the caseCool

yeah the zx td is back on the road front mounted intercooler fitted fuel pump tweaks now required + turbo adjustment
Posted 25th Oct 2010 at 03:59
gti6neil

Regular

Post #4
musclebeach wrote:
Yes mine squeaks......a part just needs lubricating inside the cabin i'd say, don't know what it looks like down there so can't tell you LOL
put away your oil can and pick up the mig welder LOL LOL LOL

yeah the zx td is back on the road front mounted intercooler fitted fuel pump tweaks now required + turbo adjustment
Posted 25th Oct 2010 at 04:01
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Buy my exhaust?

Since its been fitted I havent heard any squeaks/creaks/rattles in my car LOL

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 25th Oct 2010 at 16:19
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
Could be cable or pedal related, or it could be this...

Try some WD40 on the pedal hinges and cables before you despair totally though Wink

A common problem as most of you will already know is the excessive movement in the top engine mount. Aside from causing unpleasant driveline shunt when stop-start driving the constant back and forth action tends to fatigue and crack the mount cup on the drivers side chassis leg. This usually makes itself known by a creak or a clunk as you come on and off the throttle. Chocking up your engine mount using one of the kits for sale on the forum or fabricating your own will improve the driving experience rewarding you with a smoother gear change as you will get less torque reaction from the engine, and you may avoid a chassis crack.

For those less fortunate who have had a chassis mount failure however I offer a permanent repair service that is garanteed not to fail.

Here are some pics of the proceedure, I also install some mount chocks which firmly grip the buffers on the engine mount preventing further excessive movement.

An example of a badly repaired chassis mount (The welded repair patch came away with a firm blow from a hammer and chisel)...

Here is the repair piece I prefer, 3mm thick mild steel, with a hot formed curved edge, which adds strength with the added benefit that it sits flat to the old chassis cup further adding support.

A hole is drilled in the correct positon using a template, and a nut is fully welded in place to anchor the stud on the bottom of the mount.

It gets a coat of etch primer before welding to help prevent corrosion later on.

It then gets welded in place using a suitably powerful MIG welder to garantee good penetration...

Lastly, the engine mount chocks go on. You get one either side and afterwards a lick of paint but the camera ran out of batteries before the job was completed, but you get the idea.

The job is a while you wait service, it takes two hours roughly and you are welcome to stay and supervise or there is a nice pub five minutes walk down the street where you can refresh yourself while I take care of the hard work Wink

For this service I charge £110.

PM me if you need it done, thanks for looking Cool

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 25th Oct 2010 at 21:24
mikebee

Regular

Post #7
Cool thanks guys. That is useful info.

I will check it out and see what the craic is (excuse the pun). Knowing this car it'll be what you say.

Daveyboy - that is a pretty good offer. I'll drop you a PM if I need your work.
Posted 26th Oct 2010 at 02:27
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
No worries Mike, fingers crossed it's somethng simple.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 26th Oct 2010 at 13:56
mikebee

Regular

Post #9
daveyboy wrote:

Agreed, but knowing this car it'll almost certainly not be something simple lol LOL

Already had to rebuild the top end, fit a new rad and also fitting a new exhaust centre section at the weekend... There's no end to it in sight!
Posted 26th Oct 2010 at 14:08
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #10
mikebee wrote:
daveyboy wrote:

Agreed, but knowing this car it'll almost certainly not be something simple lol LOL

Already had to rebuild the top end, fit a new rad and also fitting a new exhaust centre section at the weekend... There's no end to it in sight!

Welcome to the club Big grin

Harness bars
Posted 26th Oct 2010 at 14:20
mikebee

Regular

Post #11
Spot on diagnosis daveyboy. See my thread in engines here

You have PM Smile
Posted 30th Oct 2010 at 19:46
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #12
PM replied to.

Harness bars
Posted 31st Oct 2010 at 17:16