displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Randomly refusing to idle (stalling)
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #1

Sometimes when I start the car it starts but then immediatly drops dead...
I can keep it alive by pressing the throttle but when I release it, it dies again.

not that the last 20k km both the steppermotor and the rpm-sensor have been replaced. (because of continuously stalling)

I've put it on diagnostics and the only error that comes up is the RPM-sensor...
Peugeot has looked into it and they simply say they don't know, but could start 'searching' for it (but i'm not planning to pay hours and hours of 'work' and still not have it fixed)

When does the problem occur?
Everytime it has happened was after a cold start (without any problem) then a short drive just a couple streets (like to the gasstation e.g.) but when I try to start it at that moment (so +- 15-25minutes after stopping) it starts and stalls again... Sad

-> resetting ecu doesn't solve it
-> checked all the plugs of the sensors all seem fine (not oxidized or lose or anything)
-> disconnecting battery doesn't solve it
-> it won't even start when I unplug the rpm-sensor, so I doubt this one is faulty
->waiting approx 1h or more and trying again= starts and idles without issues

Another thing to note is that this problem started only a short while after I've put the cat back.. (but then again the lambda-values are/seem fine...)

And something else that caught my eye during diagnostics is that the pre-ignition on idle is very unstable... But this was already present before the stalling started.

I'm getting pretty sick of this unreliable pos so a quick fix is needed really... I need a car for work every day and haven't got the space to keep 2cars or so. Losing the love Sad

So any ideas guys?

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 20th Oct 2010 at 01:15
mabgti

NV motors

Post #2
firstly.. think its wise to post its a 1.8 engine before asking for advice.

knowing this now.. first point of call is lambda showing incorrect value or an air leak causing this after manifold.

stepper motor is there to compensate, if you can log the stepper motor on diagnostics you should be able to see it compensate for the stall... measure the number of steps it does before stall!

check the power steering sensor.. this usually doesnt show up on diagnostics so try disconnecting it..

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 20th Oct 2010 at 04:33
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
most on here know I drive a lesser model :p but indeed its an xu7jp4

lambda values are fine and there is no air leak (this was checked by pug)
exhaust system is the gti6 one, not sure if this matters since I kept the original lambdas.
They also weren't able to check the stepper on it.

Where do I find that power steering sensor? On the compressor itself?

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 20th Oct 2010 at 22:34
mabgti

NV motors

Post #4
its on the high pressure pipe infront of the block. A blue connector on it.

Ideally wanna check the stepper values when it dies..

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 22nd Oct 2010 at 00:52