displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Changing Steering Wheel / Seats - Airbags
gti-dan

Regular

Post #1
Right, I have all the stuff to take my oem steering wheel off. With the new momo boss, came a little fuse with a "2" written on top and two wires coming off with probe type ends - clearly to fit into the airbag connector - will this complete the circuit and stop the airbag light and "STOP" light coming on?

(I ask because i tried this once before - but i started the car before i put the connector in and the lights wouldnt go off then).

2nd question - I plan to swap the seats for bucket seats and leave the seat belts in for now. I was planning on getting a new buckle welded to the central tunnel for the seat belt as the oem one is fixed to the existing seat. Would this affect the pre-tensioner or is this fitted to the belt side rather than buckle side?

Can i just bridge the connectors like i described for the steering wheel to keep the airbag light off?

Will this have any dangerous effects on the side airbags / pre-tensioners etc?
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 21:10
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I have removed a few airbags, and now the airbag ECU and through all of that I have not seen the STOP light come on Unsure

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 21:12
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
That "fuse" you described could be a resistor for the purpose of extinguishing the airbag light.

As for the seatbelt pre-tensioners, they form part of the buckle assembly.

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 22:16
gti-dan

Regular

Post #4
ok cheers. i definately got the stop light! wouldnt go off until i refitted the airbag and reset ecu. Should be ok if i fit the resistor before starting though.

So if pre-tensioners are part of buckle assembly, and i remove this then the passenger airbag will become a risk in a crash; so i will just turn this off.
Posted 15th Oct 2010 at 02:26