displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: Coolant refil after matrix replacement
vernam616

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Once i get my replacment matrix pipes, whats the best way/usual way to refil the system

Engine running and add the coolant as i go, once its all through, then bleed, or fill it with engine off and keep topping it up then bleed?

Audi S3 Black Edition
Posted 13th Oct 2010 at 21:41
chas

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I am about to write my experience of how I went about something similar to this (in my DTurbo which has similar bleed points) in a new topic which I will link into this thread soon).

Depending on how my method fares (I plan to do my heater matrix once I have flushed out my engine a couple of times with water/small amount of coolant + a weekend (mate's pranged the 205 which is now almost fixed)) with the matrix I may be able to deliver a definative answer.

But for now, I shall say to use the makeshift header header tank method, and to go through the bleed screws one by one (first the rad bleed screw, then the thermostat bleed screw, and finally the matrix bleed screw (where quite a bit of air IME tends to come out).

Ex Owner of 2000 Phase 3 306 GTi 6 China Blue - You shall be missed

1974 Triumph Stag
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6
2003 Alfa Romeo 147 JTD Lusso
2005 Mondeo Ghia X 3.0 Estate LPG
Posted 14th Oct 2010 at 02:27