displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Cambelt query
lucii

Regular

Post #1
Hi
Just looking at a V reg black gti-6, its done 77k FSH etc

However, the cambelt hasnt been done and has been recommended by the garage at the recent service.

The bloke is asking £2100 for it, good or bad idea?

Im thinking bad, as a cambelt change must be £250?
Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 21:31
moz_gti_6

Senior User

Post #2
probably closer to £270+ could allways try and knock him down abit

Dont f*ck with the bear or you'll be sorwee

1999 Subaru Impreza Rb5 Wr Sport PPP

1998 306 GTi 6

2006 307 1.6 110 hdi

1992 309 Goodwood GTi

Team ~ Taliban Hunting Club ~ Be The Best Kill The Rest
Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 21:34
lucii

Regular

Post #3
Is it worth £2100 in the first place?

Ive seen some decent ones more like £1700, so then cambelt knocked off that say £1400?
Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 21:52
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Depends on the car if its mint an you like it its worth it, but 2100 you would probly get him down to 1900 anyway do you not know any mechanics, get belt done as a homer, as its easy enough belt to do, so would maybe only cost you £180-200 of a mate.

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 22:09
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Presuming you mean the one on Ebay that is quite near us. Looks pretty clean and is a phase 3 from the looks of it.

Have you viewed it yet? I would offer to come view it with you if the timing is convenient. If you're not sure what to look out for...not that im one of the forums experts but im fairly competent!

I would be tempted to have the cambelt cover off before i drove it anywhere just to take a look at the state of the belt. If they advisoried against it maybe its in a bad state. Dont want to risk that snapping. You could probably knock them down a few hundred as it needs doing.
More if it needs a service too.

You can usually pick some money off the asking price if stuff needs doing. Smile

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 22:10
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I would budget £400 for the cam belt/tensioners as there is also a good chance the bottom pulley will have slipped and these cost around £55
Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 22:14
lucii

Regular

Post #7
honestly3k wrote:
Presuming you mean the one on Ebay that is quite near us. Looks pretty clean and is a phase 3 from the looks of it.

Have you viewed it yet? I would offer to come view it with you if the timing is convenient. If you're not sure what to look out for...not that im one of the forums experts but im fairly competent!

I would be tempted to have the cambelt cover off before i drove it anywhere just to take a look at the state of the belt. If they advisoried against it maybe its in a bad state. Dont want to risk that snapping. You could probably knock them down a few hundred as it needs doing.
More if it needs a service too.

You can usually pick some money off the asking price if stuff needs doing. Smile

Its is on ebay, but im in Bishops Stortford, isnt Tring down south somewhere?!

Black isnt my first choice, but it seemed a minter so i thought maybe i could live with black as its local. But the cambelt thing bugs me as its over my ideal budget so to get it for say £1900 id still be forking out say £200 for it to be done, then its the time and effort of begging my friend to pull his finger out and do it...

Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 22:15
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Tring is in Hertfordshire. Myself and another member; Kit live in Tring. Got another moonstone 6 just around the corner from me who isnt a member i dont think. Its a hotspot!

Well all i can say is if its not too far, go view it. It might be a real minter and im sure you can haggle price. Black wouldnt be my first choice either but you might be surprised with viewing it in person. It might grow on you. If you cant afford it you cant afford it. No harm in trying though. I haggled mine down quite well. It did need a fair few bits doing but has the potential to be a minter....

77K is pretty nice mileage though. Should by rights be quite clean because of that.

Go on, go view it! LOL

Edit. The 'buy it' now price is £2100 so they might not even be expecting that kind of money.

6 bids now though so they may wish to let the auction run....:S

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 22:24
lucii

Regular

Post #9
Haha ive lived in Hertfordshire 25 years and i always thought Tring was Cornwall...I may drag you along if i decide to view it then (if ur still offering!)

Oooh I dont know, I can afford it, i was just hoping to not spend that much on something i wasnt madly in love with as ive just mortgaged myself up, i really want a moonstone, but the only one I can find is in Exeter...its on Autotrader £2195 or something...anyone want a roadtrip to Exeter? LOL
Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 22:25
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
theres a few cheaper examples kicking about is there none on here at the moment?

as for checking taking the belt cover off an checking, i wouldnt as it will of been advised on miles a garage wouldnt remove the belt cover to check they would just see it wasnt done in service book an against miles it should of been done at 65 or so.

i would try an stay away from ebay an buy of here or piston heads, an once you find one, post up here as more than likely someone will know it or of seen it!

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 22:25
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Clean phase 3's are getting harder to find...even more so with lower miles. Most phase 3's seem to be driven into the ground that you see for sale on websites!

Moonstones are lovely when polished up shiney! The only other 2 variations i would have gone for is Diablo Red and Astor Grey.

That moonstone doesnt look anything special off Autotraders and looks to be a trade sale and it looks overpriced.

I think that black one could be a good buy if you can get it for the right price.
If you cant or your not sure on it, walk away.

Im trying hard to not sway you one way or the other too much here!

Alot of Gti-6's turn up for sale on Pistonheads. You should bookmark it and check it everyday!

You have to move quickly with good examples; they dont hang around long sadly!

Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 22:35
lucii

Regular

Post #12
I know it was a mission to find my last 2 gti6's, I remember actually crying on the phone to one salesman cos I got so frustrated at them keep being sold seconds before I got there.

I think I want a china or a moonstone...black is tempting but I don't feel the love for the black as much...
Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 23:20
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
LOL

China does look lovely if polished. But a little dull when not....

Maybe you should sit tight for a minter one of those then. It will come along, trust me!

I will keep an eye out for you.

The fact you've had two 6's before means you probably know more than me anyway! LOL
I'll

Posted 8th Oct 2010 at 23:46
lucii

Regular

Post #14
Ok if mine def goes on monday I can sit tight until...tuesday. Lol.

To be fair dad said I can use his car whenever but as I don't live at home bit of an arse.

Project let's find Lucy a blue 6 commences! I'm not overly fussed about age, as long as its decent and has alcantara interior not that other stuff, I hate the letter S tho...and I'm likely to sell it within a year as I can't keep a car 5 mins, I've had 10 that I can think of in the past 2 years...
Posted 9th Oct 2010 at 00:26