displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Rear beam collapsing?
chiefy

Regular

Post #1
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice from a more knowledgeable type as to whether my rear beam is on it's way out. Unfortunately our drive isn't perfectly flat thanks to some scumbag pikey builders (don't ask..) and also the only digital camera I have access to isn't one of the best:

I only noticed this about a month or 2 after buying the car but was adamant when I viewed it that it was all in order. Obviously I could have just been wrong, however it was MOT'd a week before I bought it and even now there does not seem to be any play in the axle as I checked it when repainting the cyclones last month.

I can guess what the response to this will be but I thought I would seek some advice first. I should also add that the right does look worse than the left, not sure if this a common problem at all?..

So what do people think, is the beam shagged??
Posted 30th Sep 2010 at 23:03
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
that looks cambered on both sides to me, you cant always feel the play in the bearings
Posted 30th Sep 2010 at 23:23
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
looks scrap on the rhs, this side nearly always goes first.

l/h coudl be, not that it matters if the rhs is dead, you'll most likely need a donor crossmember two trailing arm shafts and a set of bearings and seals.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Sep 2010 at 23:34
chiefy

Regular

Post #4
Hmm as I was expecting, it does look obvious in the pics I suppose but just wanted to double check. I have to admit the individual pics look worse than they do in real life but I even the first pic shows it quite clearly. Thanks for the replies though guys.

jonnie205 wrote:
you cant always feel the play in the bearings

Oh right, would this also explain why it passed MOT not long before I noticed it? As far as I remember all they really do is give it a good shaking.

You don't by any chance happen to have a good condition beam knocking about for sale do you?

welshpug! wrote:
you'll most likely need a donor crossmember two trailing arm shafts and a set of bearings and seals.

As much as I would quite like to give this a go myself I think it's probably beyond my capabilities at the moment, and certainly beyond the tools and equipment I currently have available. I think I'm best off either buying a second hand beam or getting this one refurbed. I don't suppose you know of anyone who may offer this kind of service and how much it might cost Whistle ?
Posted 1st Oct 2010 at 00:09
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #5

there's always me Wink

i can get you a beam ready for next weekend

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 1st Oct 2010 at 00:18
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I have a minter here £150 delivered
Posted 1st Oct 2010 at 00:20
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
right hand side isn't far off rubbing the wheel arch like mine did lol.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 1st Oct 2010 at 00:38
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
meh, free Camber FTW!!
Posted 1st Oct 2010 at 18:57
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Ha! I was just about to write the same! People on here spend a fortune trying to get camber like that.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 1st Oct 2010 at 19:38
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
My drivers side runs in a similar way to yours, just not as severe! I have checked the beam bearings etc and all seems fine so I think its a bent trailing arm..... Runs fine though!

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Also an Ex owner of a Bianca 6 Sad

Now an ex owner of a 2005 9-3 2.0T 210bhp Aero Swedish Saloon thing!! Soon to be 250bhp.... Superman

Now driving Mk5 Golf GTTdi, mile muncher

But still live for the 306 Ninja
Posted 1st Oct 2010 at 20:52