displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Headlight bolt snapped
sharvey44

Senior User

Post #1
Whilst trying to swap my ph2s for crystals at the weekend I managed to snap one of the middle bolts off in the thread. Both were rusted and completely f*cked.

So will it be alright with just the top bolted or does anyone have any bright ideas how to get the rest out without damaging the fixing on the slam panel?

I've currently got both sat in some Coca-cola to try and get the washers off so I can use the ones that were on the lower bracket.

Nothing is ever easy with my car...

Ph2.5 Nile - Slowly trying to de-East London it and restore to former glory...
Built on the 9 Febuary 1999 - Tuesday's car..is full of pace? Wink

Currently looking slightly molested due to some c*nt trying to get into it.. Sad

According to the forum Social Worker, because I work in IT, I am socially retarted..
Posted 27th Sep 2010 at 23:04
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Isn't there 2 bolts on the bottom and one in the top?

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 27th Sep 2010 at 23:09
sharvey44

Senior User

Post #3
ballardpaul wrote:
Isn't there 2 bolts on the bottom and one in the top?

I was going with the fact that everyone usually calls the one on the wing side the lower bracket.

So to clarify its the lower one on the slam panel not the usual broken one near the wing

Ph2.5 Nile - Slowly trying to de-East London it and restore to former glory...
Built on the 9 Febuary 1999 - Tuesday's car..is full of pace? Wink

Currently looking slightly molested due to some c*nt trying to get into it.. Sad

According to the forum Social Worker, because I work in IT, I am socially retarted..
Posted 27th Sep 2010 at 23:14
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Cant see why not as long as it doesn't wobble too much. Could try drilling it out. Or using a dremal or something similar to make it into a flat head screw, this is how I got one of mine out that round off on my old car.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 28th Sep 2010 at 02:55
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I've had all of them snap at some point in my ownership. Last time the bloody thing was copper greased and still snapped the top one! Weakened previously I would assume!

Anyway, from my experiences.. have plus gas and a blow torch at the ready. Be aware plus gas is flammable so be careful not to set fire to your car - I take no responsibility!

The top one is accessible from the underside of the slam panel with mole grips (heat and plus gas to cool).

the outboard lower one (wing) can be got at from the side of the car by the same method taking care to aim so as not to melt your bumper.

The inboard lower one (grille) can be tricky but after dremelling a slot in the head and heating/cooling to break the corrosion i managed to wind it out with a flat head screwdriver iirc. Take a pic front and back and refresh my memory.

Edit: I have mini mole grips for this reason, about half the size of most people's definition of mole grips.

If you don't have a blow torch be liberal but precise with plus gas and allow it time to do its work.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 28th Sep 2010 at 13:01