displaying posts 1 to 1 of 1

Author Subject: Starting problems
lars

Post #1
Last weekend I took the car to the legendary ring, she was an absolute blast and didn't skip a beat on track! However, come Sunday night I couldn't get her started. She turned over fine, but didn't ignite. I removed all the plugs, they were soaking wet, wiped them clean, but still no spark. Removed the stepper motor, cleaned it, reconnected it and tried again and just about managed to get her running.

She was still not running well though and for the next day I was reluctant to turn the engine off at all as the only way to get her started was to keep the accelerator firmly planted on the floor. After returning to the UK though the problem seems to have disappeared completely which makes fault searching even more difficult.

I suspect the stepper motor may be on its last legs, however I'm not sure how to test this. I checked it in Germany by turning on the ignition with the motor connected but not inserted into the idle valve, and there was no movement there. Is this a sufficient test to establish a faulty stepper motor?

What other faults commonly cause this kind of problems on gti6s?

Cheers
Posted 23rd Sep 2010 at 02:40