displaying posts 1 to 21 of 21

Author Subject: Oldschools's Evo 2 RS Race Car
_oldschool_

Post #1
Evening all,

I do have a Gti-6 as my daily runner but thought you lot might be interested in one of my other cars - a 1994 Mitsubishi Evoultion 2 RS race car. Pretty serious spec with full rebuild as you can see below.

Hope you like

Dan
Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 23:32
_oldschool_

Post #2
Basically started out when 3 years ago at 18 I decided after a long enough wait I wanted to buy an evo to scratch my racing/track day itch after finishing competitive racing in 2005 due to funds/college. I bought a standard GSR and decided would be a pretty good base car, BUT, once you finally have the Evo at home and start to add up what you need and the work involved it becomes pretty daunting to say the least!

Right on cue a nice 2 RS came up for sale that someone had used as a track car, the guy had blown his forged engine twice in quick succession and decided he just wanted rid of the car! Car was perfect starting point, fully stripped out and being the RS had no sound deadening etc to worry about pulling it out and so on, so a wicked starting point. Once snapped up as a rolling chassis only missing an engine, we soon chucked in my GSR engine and blasted it around for a bit. Soon came the time though around November I needed to start planning my build as after deciding 100% to race it in the new year the race season was creeping up on us!

It was only meant to be a small job really, minimum cost to get me racing, FIA bolt in cage, couple of nice bits etc but heck when does it ever end up at that! I bought a brand new built bottom end and a ported head soon after buying the GSR ready for my track project so knew it would be going into this. And the plan was to do as much as possible myself – cue Ben and Mike to laugh after seeing me with a spanner in my hand - so fair to say I was a little optimistic to think I would be able to do anything myself let alone the full build!!

I always knew who I wanted to build the car, pretty much the main person, highly regarded with our early evo's; "ex-gtir" (Mike) which is a double bonus as his brother in law is also a massive early fan and is one hell of a painter and fabricator - "lummy" (Ben). They have been through it with me from the simple job's I had planned to the evolution of the massive build undertaken you can see below. The whole car has been built by Mike and Ben in roughly 10weeks in their spare time after their everyday jobs, the only outside sources used were for the roll cage to be sent to us but Mike and Ben installed and for the custom manifold to be made due to the fact we are the first early in europe to be running an Evo X turbo Smile We also had the first ever GRP doors for an early commissioned which have been excellently made by Craig (cue him to let me know his MLR log in as only know Evo123.net one Wink

The car has been built to compete in the AAA saloons so has been built to the regs. The maximum power is 400bhp in class b which im in which is fine for the newer model’s but a bit of a struggle with ours hence the full engine build and Evo X turbo to help me get there!! The car has recently been mapped and is now back with me. It was my first experience in an early with a bit of power when Mike took me out in mine and it certainly seems to go pretty well Big grin Big grin. My first race is June 6th at Brands Hatch and hoping to get a bit of time in the car before hand but still some niggly jobs to sort which all takes time so wish me luck!

Anyway some pics below so you can see the process;

Cheers

Dan

This is how the car started out when I dropped it down to Mike and Ben;

Engine swiftly out;

To find this wrong with the engine – how lucky it was still running (also later to find the head gasket had basically gone to!!);

A nice awakening as to what we were up against, trying to fit that Evo X turbo in that little space!!;

Next job was to start prepping the arches to fit the 17x9 rims and to fit the GRP wide arch kit – Ben had to do a lot of cutting!!

Arch before it was attacked..

Mock wide arch fit…

Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 23:31
_oldschool_

Post #3
Marked out for cutting…

Cutting begins…

Inner arch heated and re shaped. Then welded inner to outer panel

Fully welded cleaned up and zinc primed..

Wheel arch before..

After – standard wheel looks lost!!;

Arches with race wheels on;

Car gutted for cage;

Cage fitting starts. It’s a custom cages cage for my car – piece of rubbish!! Ben and Mike had to either re-do or adjust every single bit of tubing to get it to fit.

Ben and Mike making custom strengthening plates and gussets;

Finally in;

Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 23:31
_oldschool_

Post #4
Cage and then car being sprayed;

Ben spraying in his socks 

Trial dash fitting after cutting;

Engine built;

Catch tank made up;

Gearbox cleaned and sprayed;

Breathers on rocker welded on and sprayed;

Custom intercooler piping being made;

To get turbo to fit despite the completely custom tubular manifold the slam panel had to be cut away and replaced with tubular one;

_oldschool_

Post #5
Perspex to go in the GRP doors being made;

Shows how wide the kit is compared to standard stance, definitely time for some wide wheels 

And if by magic – test with wide wheels on;

Finished article Big grin;

Ignore passenger seat – only there for mapping ;

Cheers

Dan Big grin
foxy6

Regular

Post #6
Simply stunning, topwork mate Big grin
I had an evo 1 there fast cars standard so with your spec she must be something else.
Love
Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 23:49
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Simply awesome Cool

Would you like to sell me it? Whistle

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 23:52
greenbelt

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Awesome work Thumbs up

Standard Black 6
Black HBSC6 Smoke
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 00:16
davedgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Very nice, however I think you need to give me your engine as I believe it will fit straight into my Mitsubishi Colt (gearbox on drivers side as well), I will of course give you my old 1.6 engine in exchange Whistle

Smile Great Project Ninja

Team Supercharged Gti-6 Ninja
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 00:21
mike rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
very stunning, like it a lot. whats next on the mod list?
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 00:43
_oldschool_

Post #11
Thansk for all the kind words guys Smile Big grin Cool

davedgti6 wrote:
Very nice, however I think you need to give me your engine as I believe it will fit straight into my Mitsubishi Colt (gearbox on drivers side as well), I will of course give you my old 1.6 engine in exchange Whistle

Smile Great Project Ninja

I have 3 engines mate, two of them 0 miles and serious spec fully forged etc if your serious! Razz Big grin
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 00:48
_oldschool_

Post #12
mike rallye wrote:
very stunning, like it a lot. whats next on the mod list?

Car is currently having the full under body diffuser designed, also have we are trying to get a custom gearbox made as most for this car are only drag spec which is no good for me and im swapping the forged engine/turbo set up in there at the moment to drop in my new naughty spec forged engine my AMS GT35R turbo Smile
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 00:50
309btcc

**DODGY SELLER**

Post #13
great job what power she gunna make??
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 00:54
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
beast!! fair play Smile

was this in the AAA salons at combe recently?

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 01:24
roberts_306

Senior User

Post #15
Very nice loads attention to detail, well done Smile

www.pugsport-racing.co.uk
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 01:08
_oldschool_

Post #16
309btcc wrote:
great job what power she gunna make??

At the moment its about 430bhp/400llb but with the 35r on there its roughly 650/580 ish
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 17:30
_oldschool_

Post #17
rallyeash wrote:
beast!! fair play Smile

was this in the AAA salons at combe recently?

It was built for the AAA but didnt actually compete in a race this year - did the test day the day before the race though, but had some little teething probs so decided not to run the car and wait until next year when car is fully tested and up to scratch.

Dan
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 17:31
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
To be fair mate if you can keep it running for more than 8 minutes flat out you've got a good chance of coming high up in the AAA saloons. Most of them blow up pretty early on...

Didn't think I saw you at Combe - was there supporting Arden's E30 M3 touring car.

Nothing to see here
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 18:02
_oldschool_

Post #19
Yeah to true this year - there was a lot of unreliability! There where some awesome machines there though so hopefully next year will be even better!

Think I know the E30 M3 you mention - its a lovely car! Some of the cars in the AAA have some scary straightline speed dont they!
Posted 23rd Sep 2010 at 18:29
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Yeah they do, although a lot slower accelerating Arden is carrying 150mph over avon rise on the limiter. Nutter!Shock

Nothing to see here
Posted 25th Sep 2010 at 02:41
tbag

Junior User

Post #21
im in love !

old skool ftw Big grin

If in doubt, flat out
Colin McRae
1968-2007

xbox : R700N3Y
Posted 27th Sep 2010 at 01:28